Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manually shifting the Automatic Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 06:16 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Manually shifting the Automatic Tranny

ORIGINAL: pascal

ORIGINAL: marcuskeeler

<Cough>Grandpa<Cough>

Hey Grandpa, the only time a manual sucks, would be in bumper to bumper traffic.
Rest of the time, more fun for us.
And let's not, talk about going steepdown hill with an auto[8D].

Why not? Just hit the OD off button and it holds it at 55 mph going down Wolf Creek Pass.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:29 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

With the same menu?? I mean French Fries and all?
Old 01-31-2008, 06:49 PM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VerginaStang

thanks for all of the INFORMATIVE replies!

Lemme ask you this:
If starting in 2nd is a no-no, than coming to a complete stop in second would conceivably be a no-no also, right? Whats the prime mph to shift into first? Also, when decelerating, from lets say third gear, would it be possible for me to miss 2nd and shift right into 1st, harming the tranny?
There is no need to downshift when coming to a stop. But if you did, it wouldn't matter, that's where the torque converter comes into play.
And Yes, since these shifters are NOT a ratchet-type, it's very very easy to accidentally shift from 3rd to 1st. But you probably wouldn't
screw up as often as the manual guys do when they shift from 2nd to 3rd. Ouch!!!

As far as downshifting into 1st, anything under 25mph (that's with 3:31's)would be my cut off point. But I don't see too many situations that would call for that
unless your just cruising around real slow and want to drop it into 1st so you can do a quick throttle stab and make the front end jump. If you're doing under 25
and are about to race from a roll...when you stab it, the tranny will downshift for you.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:26 PM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

<Cough>Grandpa<Cough>

Hey Grandpa, the only time a manual sucks, would be in bumper to bumper traffic.
That makes no sense to me...autos have gear selection too. Going downhill...manual shifting is a must.
If you dont,you'll wear out your brake pads real quick. Uphill too, I hate to bog the motor.

Maybe you're right...maybe it can bemore fun...(for those that really seriously know how to drive a manual).
I wonder ifmostchose the manual for the "cool" factor and really struggle when their driving ability is put to the test,
lets say for example a road course or the 1320.

And....I've never said a manual sucks. They can be alot of fun. But I always seem to find myself on here defending the
autos when someone with manual starts talking smack. What it really proves is how ignorant most ofyou are about autos.
Just put it in D and go...uh huh, yeah, we have that luxury....but we can also manual shift...and only need one leg to do it.
OH SNAP!

Old 01-31-2008, 07:54 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

ORIGINAL: grampa_stang

(for those that really seriously know how to drive a manual).
There is some to be said about that.
I was born and raised in Europe and most of us know how to drive a stick. Hell, you learn how to drive on a manual only.

The shifting action is about beeing in control of the car behavior for us. Going through whooptydoos calls for a manual.
If the auto was so suitable, Rallye cars, F1 and all other road course cars will use it.Actually, they are sequential gearbox now(like motorcycles).
I guess, a good automatic make sense in straight line racing.

I know what you gonna say: You don't race on the streets. True. But when it's time to downshift and have fun with the motor, I don't want an auto.

I don't put anyone down for having an auto either. I have one in my F150 and wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:57 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

<Cough>Grandpa<Cough>

That makes no sense to me...autos have gear selection too. Going downhill...manual shifting is a must.
If you dont,you'll wear out your brake pads real quick. Uphill too, I hate to bog the motor.

Maybe you're right...maybe it can bemore fun...(for those that really seriously know how to drive a manual).
I wonder ifmostchose the manual for the "cool" factor and really struggle when their driving ability is put to the test,
lets say for example a road course or the 1320.

And....I've never said a manual sucks. They can be alot of fun. But I always seem to find myself on here defending the
autos when someone with manual starts talking smack. What it really proves is how ignorant most ofyou are about autos.
Just put it in D and go...uh huh, yeah, we have that luxury....but we can also manual shift...and only need one leg to do it.
OH SNAP!

I daresay some, not all, but some have a 6er mentality when it comes to Autos. You know who you are. Let me explain. 6ers are mostle young pups who like the lower insurance rates and who aren't finacially able the afford aGT payment.They may have afamily chose to put family before GT. Good for them. They lack experience in competitive driving. It all comes with age but it's like a bumper sticker I saw once. It read...."Hire a teenager while they still know everything." That sort of thing.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:06 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

(for those that really seriously know how to drive a manual).
There is some to be said about that.
I was born and raised in Europe and most of us know how to drive a stick. Hell, you learn how to drive on a manual only.

The shifting action is about beeing in control of the car behavior for us. Going through whooptydoos calls for a manual.
If the auto was so suitable, Rallye cars, F1 and all other road course cars will use it.Actually, they are sequential gearbox now(like motorcycles).
I guess, a good automatic make sense in straight line racing.

I know what you gonna say: You don't race on the streets. True. But when it's time to downshift and have fun with the motor, I don't want an auto.

I don't put anyone down for having an auto either. I have one in my F150 and wouldn't have it any other way.

You're probably too young to remember when Formula 1 and Indy cars were autos made by Andy Granetelli.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:12 PM
navyscott
1st Gear Member

Bottom line, get a properly set-up tuner and leave it in "D". If you want to shift that badly, go trade in for a manual. If you manually shift the auto when racing, even with a good tune, it will have a lag or pause in between gears. If you leave it in drive, you have the option of no pause and even tire-spinning and very hard upshifts.
The only time I have ever manually downshifted mine was whenthe road was slick with ice/snow and then only at a speed low enough for thereto be nothing dramatic, just assisting the brakes a little.I do occasionally turn the OD off if I will be driving at a constant 45-50 mph. Other than that, I let the computer and tune do their thing and it suits me just fine, mainly becauseit was my decision on thetunethat tells the transmission when to upshift and how hard (at w.o.t. anyway).
Old 01-31-2008, 08:15 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: navyscott

Bottom line, get a properly set-up tuner and leave it in "D". If you want to shift that badly, go trade in for a manual. If you manually shift the auto when racing, even with a good tune, it will have a lag or pause in between gears. If you leave it in drive, you have the option of no pause and even tire-spinning and very hard upshifts.
The only time I have ever manually downshifted mine was whenthe road was slick with ice/snow and then only at a speed low enough for thereto be nothing dramatic, just assisting the brakes a little.I do occasionally turn the OD off if I will be driving at a constant 45-50 mph. Other than that, I let the computer and tune do their thing and it suits me just fine, mainly becauseit was my decision on thetunethat tells the transmission when to upshift and how hard.

You are very lucky you didn't spin out downshifting on ice.You seem to not know that a properly set up auto will have neck snapping shifts. No bottom line that I can see.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:20 PM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: navyscott

The only time I have ever manually downshifted mine was whenthe road was slick with ice/snow and then only at a speed low enough for thereto be nothing dramatic, just assisting the brakes a little.I do occasionally turn the OD off if I will be driving at a constant 45-50 mph. Other than that, I let the computer and tune do their thing and it suits me just fine, mainly becauseit was my decision on thetunethat tells the transmission when to upshift and how hard.

Your auto stays in a good/torquey rpm when going uphill? Does it also shift into a lower gear automatically
when going downhill to assist braking? Now that's an awesome tune.

BTW: That's got to be one of the worst times to downshift. Rear end can lock-up very easily.

Quick Reply: Manually shifting the Automatic Tranny