Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd to 3rd Gear Grind Buzz, 3x Today WTF?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 03:27 AM
barryg
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
I am yet another unlucky one. 08 GT, have the 2nd to 3rd grind when cold. I had it into the dealer In May/June and they replicated the problems and replaced the synchros. Just last week it started acting up again. And I also get the grind after starting it up in neutral and going straight to third. So I guess it'll be going back to the dealer, I hope they just replace the whole transmission as this is very annoying.
The entire transmission replacement seems to be the only "permanent" fix. Mine does it but I just go to neutral before 3rd or 2nd to 4th when the car is cold (which isn't very...here in San Diego) and by then the next time I do a 2nd-3rd shift I get no grind. I'll eventually take it in.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:49 PM
navyboy12807

Originally Posted by barryg
The entire transmission replacement seems to be the only "permanent" fix. Mine does it but I just go to neutral before 3rd or 2nd to 4th when the car is cold (which isn't very...here in San Diego) and by then the next time I do a 2nd-3rd shift I get no grind. I'll eventually take it in.
replacing the trans is going to do nothing to fix the problem! I am on my second trans. my dealer decided to put a new trans in that came right off the production line. they put the new one in and it does the exact same thing it was fine for the summer and most of the fall and it started back up about a month ago! what my service manger said is that there isn't alot of people reporting the problem so ford thinks its fixed! so go into ur dealership and talk to the service advisors and tell them it still does the grinding!
Old 12-24-2008, 05:01 PM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

So my buddy in his s2000 has a similar problem with tranny grinding when attempting to shift anywhere after 8K rpm (our motors would be toast by then lol).

Anyway, some guys on another forum I regularly use recommended redline oil for his tranny.

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_g...bCategoryID=16

anyone ever run it or has anyone ever heard of it?

it's relatively cheap and supposedly helps bunches
Old 12-24-2008, 07:47 PM
boomer123
3rd Gear Member

Its just because the car is cold......
Old 12-25-2008, 04:04 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by boomer123
Its just because the car is cold......
I think everyone agrees to that, but that's not an excuse. I've had manual transmission cars before, and I've had gears grind occasionally, but that was due to operator error, this is not, it is "materials and workmanship" or "poor engineering". This is annoying as hell because to someone on the street it looks like those of us with this problem don't know how to drive a stick.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:20 PM
TheAnswerMVP2001

I'm having the same issue with my 08 Bullitt. Only owned it for 2 months and only drive it about 20 miles a day, this is really disappointing to find this out when the car is still brand new. I tried a similar approach to jahudso2 which was slam it into 3rd, he seems to be the only one who hasn't had the problem reoccur since. I'll see if that ends up working.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:30 PM
barryg
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheAnswerMVP2001
I'm having the same issue with my 08 Bullitt. Only owned it for 2 months and only drive it about 20 miles a day, this is really disappointing to find this out when the car is still brand new. I tried a similar approach to jahudso2 which was slam it into 3rd, he seems to be the only one who hasn't had the problem reoccur since. I'll see if that ends up working.
Haven't heard of that approach but let us know. I usually to 2nd to 4th or 2nd to neutral to 3rd the first few shifts and then I get no grind. But I definitely will if I try 2nd-3rd after it's been sitting all night.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:32 AM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

yup add me to the list plus i get vibrations from 3rd and 4th and also a bussing vibration at 1100rpm
Old 12-21-2009, 12:31 AM
N8SGT

I'm a little late to this thread. I got my 08 'vert this past summer. 'vert's don't always sell well up here in Alaska. Needless to say, we have cold mornings even in my garage. I'm having the same problem. It started at 1800 mi. Could you guys post the progress on your grind issues. My dealer said if I just live with it, it'll likely go away. They changed my fluid to synthetic. I want to install my Steeda Tri-ax in the spring (when I start driving it again) but I don't want them to blame the shifter.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:46 AM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

My method didnt work. It came back this fall. And i tried changing the fluid and it still wont go away...

Quick Reply: 2nd to 3rd Gear Grind Buzz, 3x Today WTF?!