Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone with Astra Hammond or MRT rear window louvers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 04:36 PM
SlinkyBMX
2nd Gear Member

Default Anyone with Astra Hammond or MRT rear window louvers?

I want to get rear window louvers. I really like the way the Astra Hammond louvers look, but would I be able to clean the window? How do they remove once they are on? The I also like the MRT louvers, BUT it doesnt look like from the pictures that I've seen that they sit flush with the top of the window. Any comments from anyone that has either?
Old 02-08-2008, 04:48 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone with Astra Hammond or MRT rear window louvers?

I have the Astra Hammonds. They are removed by unscrewing four thumb screws. You then remove a small washer underneath each thumb screw and the louvers lift off. No tools are necessary. They're pretty light, but you still have to be careful.

Believe it or not, you have to clean the window LESS with louvers. Since sunlight doesn't shine directly on the window there is no glare. Streaks and minor dirt aren't really visible when there is no glare. That's why a dirty window looks clean in the garage, but dirty once you hit the sun.

I've had the louvers since October and cleaned them for the first time last weekend. The window was dirty, but you couldn't tell until after you took off the louvers. I could have let the rear window go a little longer without cleaning it. Then again, the car is garage kept.

Agreed, the individual louvers are larger on the MRT. Overly large in my opinion, especially in relation to rest of the car. I also don't like what looks to be a gap between them and the rear window.

I was also concerned about reliability down the road. No moving parts means less of a chance for rattles later on. The Astra Hammond louvers would also be a breeze to spray paint in the future if it were ever needed.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:52 PM
SlinkyBMX
2nd Gear Member

I heard there is some fitting issues with the trunk lid hitting the louvers. Do you have this problem?
Old 02-08-2008, 04:59 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

No. I don't. The trunk just barely clears the louvers when properly installed. It's one of the features of the design and allows the louvers to get as close to the bottom of the window as possible. If you align them incorrectly, then could rub. As with anything, it's imporant to dry fit everything first.

I had one problem during installation. One of the four holes drilled by the factory was placed a little too far to the left. I had to carefully drill out this hole little by little unitl the louvers fit. It was a pain in the rear, but the final result was worth it.

If I had a second person to help me, then it would have gone a lot faster.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:13 PM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

i've got the astra hammond louvers as well - i can definitely attest to their quality and fitment: top notch. the rear louvers are one of my favorite mods so far. i agree with wmtheflash about cleaning; although the louvers are not convenient to remove, i've never done so and i've had mine on since spring. i just wash in between the slats and everything is fine. i suppose the rear window does get filthy from time to time, but it's certainly not obvious from the outside and does not impair visibility.

i'll also stress the importance of measuring everything multiple times and having patience upon installation - it's not something that's easily fixed if you screw things up. remember to put weatherproof silicone around the mounting brackets as well; the last thing you want is for the louvers to fly off at 65mph

additionally, there are a few other benefits besides style: the inside of the car is kept cooler, headlight glare at night from behind is reduced, & neither snow nor ice have ever built up on my rear window cuz the louvers keep it off. oh, and my trunk definitely doesn't hit the louvers.

all in all, i love the astra hammonds and i would recommend them highly - here are some pics as well:

Old 02-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

I have the Astra Hammond Textured ABS Louvers on mine ....also a perfect fit.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:07 PM
aircare84
3rd Gear Member

MRT/Visus rear louvers here. Aluminum Astro-Hammond wern't made yet when I got mine.
I prefer the looks of the Astro-Hammond ones, they fit tighter.
I also prefer the hinged ones myself. I clean the back window every wash, hard water here.
Mine have held up real well, no fading,loose pads,broken welds.

[IMG]local://upfiles/47772/CD5F787B36294D98BDAA1BD5C4799994.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/47772/3BB3EC3F137E44018230564E744B1197.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-08-2008, 07:51 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: aircare84

MRT/Visus rear louvers here. Aluminum Astro-Hammond wern't made yet when I got mine.
I prefer the looks of the Astro-Hammond ones, they fit tighter.
I also prefer the hinged ones myself. I clean the back window every wash, hard water here.
Mine have held up real well, no fading,loose pads,broken welds.

[IMG]local://upfiles/47772/CD5F787B36294D98BDAA1BD5C4799994.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/47772/3BB3EC3F137E44018230564E744B1197.jpg[/IMG]
I had the hinged aluminum ones on my '82 GT and loved them! If I get them for my '07, it will definitely be the ones with a hinge.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:21 PM
slowstang06
2nd Gear Member

mine flew off my car at 100mph...

anyone know where to get new mounting hardware...
Old 05-02-2009, 07:05 PM
Dannyf8989
2nd Gear Member

^ are you kidding me? that must have been scary.

I was wondering how well they stay on at high speeds... I typically dont go more than 65 because all of the speed limits around here are 55. But on my way to college starting in the fall they go up to 75 so ill be cruising 10 over there too...

Quick Reply: Anyone with Astra Hammond or MRT rear window louvers?