Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAI..Which is best bang 4 buck???

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 02:08 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: CAI..Which is best bang 4 buck???

There's a lot of energy around warranty with CAI & tune. Some dealers are ****** about it, others aren't. Bottom line: the dealer has to PROVE that a mod was the cause of whatever it is he's refusing to perform warranty work on. It's easy for a dealer to intimidate just by saying "Your CAI & tune voids the warranty". Don't put up with it. So far my dealer couldn't care less about my CAI & tuneand have performed some minor warranty work for me. Are you expecting your Stang to crap the bed early??
Old 04-24-2008, 02:21 PM
mhconley
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acascianelli

Either buy a used intake and tuner, or save up and get them both new at the same time. I bought my tuner for $190, intake for $150, and tune for $75; $415 total. If I would have waited when Bamachips dropped their prices to $50 per tune, it would have been $390.
+1 on the used route. I picked up my SCT Xcal2 for $150, my DeMolet TI CAI for $135 and 3 tunes from Bamachips for $125 for a grand total of $410. If I wanted to really save some money I could have cut $75 and only purchased a single $50 tune. Justbe very careful that the tuner is not VIN locked.

Martin
Old 04-24-2008, 02:23 PM
bg_lee
1st Gear Member

Nope...just playing it safe...

I really can't see myself paying for a CAI and Tuner together for a while...I am expecting a visit from the stork this year (july)...just thought that a CAI would be better than nothing...also I can get 300 bucks by the wifey easier than 600
Old 04-24-2008, 02:24 PM
sp44
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bg_lee

Nobody has said anything about BBK??? Nobody have one? They are popular around here...or used to be(I thought)...I like the looks of the BBK over say the K&N...also...Is a CAI going to screw with my factory warranty?...will a tune?
I've had CAI's in other cars. Now I have a CAI with tune. No comparison. Save the money and get a tune!
Old 04-24-2008, 03:04 PM
Devil Wolf
3rd Gear Member

Nobody has said anything about BBK??? Nobody have one? They are popular around here...or used to be(I thought)...I like the looks of the BBK over say the K&N...also...Is a CAI going to screw with my factory warranty?...will a tune?

dont get a BBK if you dont want a tune.
many have purchased and end up running lean. BBK even adds this disclaimer on their intakes:

SPECIAL NOTE
Due to the increased airflow and performance gains associated with this product, a slight detonation or lean condition may occur if used with low octane fuels (Regular).
If this happens we recommned switching to a fuel with a higher octane rating
(Premium, or Super).
In addition , if you are installing this product on a vehicle that has been previously
modified or has a "tune" other than stock, you may find it necessary to have the tune
adjusted or modified to accomdate for the increase in airflow that this product provides.

so you may need a tune anyway. tune does more for you than CAI; if you can only get one get a tuner now and save up for the intake IMHO. also steedas look the best
Old 04-24-2008, 03:25 PM
Fullsayl
2nd Gear Member

I have the BBK CAI, and it is fine, though I have not seen what the CFM difference is. I need to add that I have never run it without the Brenspeed tune, but I (like almost everyone else) would recommend getting both. CAI w/out tune just does not make any sense really, LMO.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:33 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acascianelli

Either buy a used intake and tuner, or save up and get them both new at the same time. I bought my tuner for $190, intake for $150, and tune for $75; $415 total. If I would have waited when Bamachips dropped their prices to $50 per tune, it would have been $390.
I beat you. Got my intake AND xcal2 for $250

Tune was $70

$320

To the OP, im running BBK, very pleased with it. If you buy used.. the heatshield goes under the radiator cover
Old 04-24-2008, 03:45 PM
PullMeOverRed05
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Boozshey

FRPP or Steeda are the best looking CAI IMO
Do you know where to get the FRPP from?
Old 04-24-2008, 03:55 PM
Tigercat
1st Gear Member

I love my airaid/roush intake it rocks! no tune required and it even sounds great sucking in air! I have ordered a tuner and tunes from Brenspeed as they sell the airaid.....
Old 04-24-2008, 04:09 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Nope...just playing it safe...

I really can't see myself paying for a CAI and Tuner together for a while...I am expecting a visit from the stork this year (july)...just thought that a CAI would be better than nothing...also I can get 300 bucks by the wifey easier than 600
I may be way out of the box on this one, but consider buying the tuner and NOT the CAI if your budget is $300 (give or take). Our stock airbox is relatively efficient (as the low gains from a CAI-only can attest to), so I'll be that a tune will get you some pretty good gains without adding the CAI. I would, however get a K & N drop in filter for less restriction.

Something to consider. Call Brent at Brenspeed and ask.

Quick Reply: CAI..Which is best bang 4 buck???