Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone own or drive a G37, how does it compare to a S197?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 12:35 PM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone own or drive a G37, how does it compair to a S197?

I absolutely love the new G37. I just saw and sat at one here 3 weeks ago at the auto show. Although the styling changes are subtle, it looks leaps and bounds better than the G35. I'm a guy who's never cared for red cars. The G37 at the show was red and I can honestly say it's the best shade of red I've seen in the automotive industry outside of Ferarri. The G37 is downright sexy. The build quality, materials and layout are outstanding. Although the 335i is the benchmark in this segment, I think the G37 is better looking and right there performance wise. For the guy who said you sacrifice torque compared to a GT, that's a given being down two cylindersbut the G37 more than makes up for it in mid/top end and would be too much for the stang in everything more than a 1-2 sprint. The G37 is a more expensive car than the GT and it shows. Rather than kick it around I'll just say they really shouldn't be compared. Besides V8 torque the G37 outshines the GT in every category and it should for the price differential. As for the 335i, there is a very strong case to choose it overthe G37. I think the G37 looks every bit better than the 335i performs. I'd rather have the sexy looking G37 and procharge or mod it slightly for a full on beautiful beast. Besides, everyone and their dog has the poor mans M3 now. Those 335i's are everywhere. I agree with a poster above that the G's in the past have sounded like a hollow box of bees. They do sound a little sterile. I would prefer to hear a little more "mechanical madness" like the M3's of a few years back but I guess straight and V6's have their differences. The bottom line is the G37 is every bit better and faster than a GT and should be for the price. That takes nothing away from the GT other than the fact it's outpriced/classed....If you have the means I think the G37 is the way to go. Cheers.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:37 PM
Qusus
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chain1

ORIGINAL: Qusus

Can't tell you about the G37 but I can tell you about the G35 which is pretty much the same car minus the extra 20 horses.

However, if you think the G37 Coupe rides a lot better than the Mustang you'll be mistaken. It is a VERY VERY sporty and sharp ride, imo even a notch firmer than your typical European sport sedan... you feel everything in that car, moreso than the Mustang despite it's live axle setup.
Wait, I thought you hadn't driven a G37? Just curious since I too am interested in some info.

I too looked at the 135s. Pretty incredible that they put the 335 engine in the smaller car. That being said, its looks don't compare the the 335 IMO.

Sorry about that slip-up, I have not driven a G37 but I assume it rides just as rough as the G35 since only the engine is different. Thus I was just doing a bit of imagination there.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:40 PM
jaxbelleil
2nd Gear Member

My cosin has the G37, Compared to the Stang it's not worth the money!!! The seats are much more conftable then the GT's , but other then that the ride quality of the (08)Mustang GT is much better, but I my 05 GT did not drive as nice as the 08. The mustang need a new stero system and your good to go..

oh yeah +1 Too bad it sounds like a shoebox full of bees... [:@]
Old 04-30-2008, 12:52 PM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jaxbelleil

My cosin has the G37, Compared to the Stang it's not worth the money!!! The seats are much more conftable then the GT's , but other then that the ride quality of the (08)Mustang GT is much better, but I my 05 GT did not drive as nice as the 08. The mustang need a new stero system and your good to go..

oh yeah +1 Too bad it sounds like a shoebox full of bees... [:@]
Yikes...
Old 04-30-2008, 12:59 PM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

My friend has a g37. It weighs 200 ibs more than the GT so the extra 30 hp is nothing. Its about .1 for every 100ibs so that makes the GT and G37 even. Pretty much whoever has the better launch on a straight away.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:43 PM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

Or you can look at it this way. Will kids wave at you and say nice car with a G37, will people at a 4 way stop wave you in front of them, will get reactions as you rumble by with all 8 firing?

I had look at both and yes the G37 was more luxurious but at this point I wanted a rear wheel drive V8, classic muscle and looks, and I'm plenty happy! I don't miss my GTP one bit.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:04 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

I can't imagine anyone missing a GTP.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:06 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Default Apples & Oranges

Apples & Oranges!

I really don't think its fair to compare the Mustang to either the G35, G37 or the BMW.
The imports are more expensive, with it very easy to add another $5-8,000 or more in options, especially with the new 1 series BMW. Go ahead and price one now, with you won't believe the total price) And you won't get any deals on the new models and have to use Premium gas all times.
http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/1series/2...12%7C%7C424d57

The cars are nice, don't get me wrong, but all that extra money mostly goes into gadgets for comfort and convenience. You'll get your money's worth if those are the important thing to you. But if you would rather buy a new car you can give a unique appearance or performance to, they're not the right choice.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:16 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Apples & Oranges

Very true. I optioned one out (quite modestly) and it came to over 40k. I had originally thought it might be just a few thousand more than a fully loaded GT. I was wrong [:-].
Old 04-30-2008, 03:50 PM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chain1

I can't imagine anyone missing a GTP.
While the suspension was shot, had 100k on it, it was still a pretty quick car, but mine wasn't stock either, but quality wise no comparison!

Quick Reply: Anyone own or drive a G37, how does it compare to a S197?