Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anybody buy octane booster?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 01:49 AM
CapitalG
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Does anybody buy octane booster?

ORIGINAL: marcuskeeler

haha, so now you're listening to UK motoring shows? I thought they were all biased rubbish LMAO

Anyway, simply "adding octane" doesn't do much, you need to increase spark angles along with Octane increase to utilise it.......
those products are here in the States at any auto store and they did real test. Cant argue with science they're junk .

They're good for decreasing horespower I guess
Old 06-27-2008, 02:00 AM
rcj2000
3rd Gear Member

i put them in every other tank...i only use the chervron techron one though. it has proven to clean injectors and other vital engine parts. WHen i had my tune up done about 2k miles ago they said it was excellent to use, and this was from the stealership where i have all of my work done, even oil changes. They say that the cheveron brand products are good
Old 06-27-2008, 02:02 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

Is this your opinion on boosters in general or just how they react in your 3V's?
Old 06-27-2008, 02:46 AM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Nothing against the British, but I tend not to put much stock in someone that thinks a Honda Civic is a more performance based car.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:51 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

What about boosters in other cars other than 3v's? Like in my 4cyl DD?
Old 06-27-2008, 02:54 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

still not recommended IMO
Old 06-27-2008, 03:13 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mygt500

still not recommended IMO
Interesting...thanks for the heads up. I have been using the newest Penzoil 4-shot pack and really thought it was a good product from all I'd read. With 94 going for roughly $6.05 per U.S gallon, it's the cheaper alternative. I thought it would help my 4cyl DD during a hot weather trip coming up. I'll research a little further.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:42 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Was it Penzoil that had the good reviews and reads? They are selling a product so of course they think it is good...... I know people that have boosted (FI) cars that blew their motor from using octane booster..... maybe others will chime in on that .... I just cannot see how a little shot of octane booster in a 10+ gal tank will effectively raise the "true octane" of any car!

Do you use 94 in your 4 cyl DD? Just use what the manufacturer recommends (unless modified) and get it from the pump.... JMO
Old 06-27-2008, 05:15 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

I used them and got a code eventually P0506 = dirty fuel system. Call ran a rough idle. Cost boo-cool at Ford to clean the system but I chalked it as a learning experience.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:24 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mygt500

Was it Penzoil that had the good reviews and reads? They are selling a product so of course they think it is good...... I know people that have boosted (FI) cars that blew their motor from using octane booster..... maybe others will chime in on that .... I just cannot see how a little shot of octane booster in a 10+ gal tank will effectively raise the "true octane" of any car!

Do you use 94 in your 4 cyl DD? Just use what the manufacturer recommends (unless modified) and get it from the pump.... JMO
No Penzoil didn't do the reviewLOL. I use 87 in my 4cyl DD and that's the point. I'm going to be taking a trip in hilly terrain in HOT weather and rather than spending my dough on top flite fuel, the booster is a cheaper alternative that in theory, should achieve the same goals (eliminate potential knock/ping). It was a preventative thought more than anything. The only horror stories I've heard regardingboosters have been in this forum on MF's that's all...

Quick Reply: Does anybody buy octane booster?