Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about warranty/lemon/buyback title issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 02:49 AM
ThrottleJunkie

Default RE: Question about warranty/lemon/buyback title issue

Alright while digging through my paperwork I discovered a couple of other issues.

In the Odometer Disclosure Statement, the dealer's name is on it as is the mileage, but the box that certifies that the reading is accurate is not checked. This is an issue because there's two options here:

1. "I hereby certify that to the best of my knowledge the odometer reading reflects the amount of mileage in excess of it's mechanical limits."

2. "I hereby certify that the odometer reading is NOT the actual mileage.
WARNING - ODOMETER DISCREPENCY

Neither of the boxes are checked, which also is a mis-representation of the car.

Secondly, The transferor (the dealer) did not sign this document. There is no signature anywhere from anyone on the staff. Only computer printed characters.

Also, I looked at the Purchase Contract.

At the bottom it has a Contractual Disclosure Statement. It reads "The information you see on the window form for this vehicle is part of this contract. Information on the window form overrides any contrary provisions in the contract of sale."

So really, if the information on that form overrides everything, then everything is really nothing. The car had no window sticker and I was never provided a window sticker.

I'm sorry if I'm getting way too deep into this, but it's a big investment. I want to make sure things are done right.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I remember exactly what his words were. I asked him why they're selling the car for so cheap so he went to talk to his boss. He came back and said "You're getting one hell of a deal and I'll tell you why." He then proceeded to speak of the buyback title and how it was a fluke and continued on to say "man you are getting a hell of a deal." He made this car sound way too good to be true.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:58 AM
ThrottleJunkie

ORIGINAL: Qusus

Ok everything you said makes perfect sense and I'd reccomend getting your money back if the car really does have a charging problem.

However, keep in mind that the dead battery issue is VERY common for the S197 Mustang... in fact I've had this EXACT problem myself. When i bought my GT it had 850 miles on it and wouldn't start without a jump. Even after the jump the car still wouldn't start without jumping.

I had the battery replaced under warranty and turn off the radio manually everytime I get out of the car and it's never been a problem since.

I would first suggest simply getting the battery replaced under warranty, if that fixes the issue tehre's no reason to go through the process of a full refund.

Like I said, the battery issue is a VERY common problem and easily fixable. It might be just that. If it isnt... then definetely get your money back.
I understand your point but it goes much deeper than "a common problem with S197s"

The car was deemed a lemon. In the warranty papers it clearly states "This vehicle was sold as new. It was returned to the manufacturer or its agent in exchange for a replacement vehicle or refund as a result of the following defect(s) or condition(s):"

Then it states, in the nonconformity box, "Start/battery won't hold charge"

It might have just been a common problem but that problem made this car a lemon. Whole game changes.

One more thing then I'm getting some sleep.

When I went for the initial test drive the salesman misunderstood me and brought down a New Edge GT. No problem. He went to get the S197 and told me the battery was dead and they would have to jump it. You can chalk that up to the weak charging system if it weren't for one thing. The owner of that dealership said he drove it daily for a while after the repairs to make sure everything worked. That means he drove it everyday for 5,000+ miles, but the battery was dead when it went onto their lot.

Things just don't add up. So much shady **** going on.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:33 AM
EricM
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ThrottleJunkie

In Ohio, when a car is deemed a lemon and is repaired and resold, it is required to carry a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty. He made it sound like it was thrown onto this car to make the customer happy.

Also, not once was the word lemon mentioned. They used the term "factory buyback" which is legit but never said that was car was lemoned. If it were, I would never have bought it. I thought there was a distinct difference between a factory buyback and a lemon.
Just because you thought that doesn't mean they misrepresented the car. Did they give you a piece of paper with this on it:

WARNING: THIS VEHICLE PREVIOUSLY WAS SOLD AS NEW. IT WAS RETURNED TO THE
MANUFACTURER OR ITS AGENT IN EXCHANGE FOR A REPLACEMENT VEHICLE OR REFUND
AS A RESULT OF THE FOLLOWING DEFECT(S) OR CONDITION(S):

If so, they followed the law. Your title should also say something like BUYBACK on it.

Furthermore, the car was listed on cars.com as having 4,3xx miles on it. When I test drove it it had 9,8xx miles.
Regardless of the ad, the mileage was not misrepresented at the time of sale. You saw the miles when you test drove it, and you didn't walk away.

The salesman told me that the owner of the dealer "drove it for a few months to make sure everything worked." I don't think you need 5,000 miles to figure that out. This car was his daily driver for an extended period of time and I don't know how well it was taken care of during that time.
Salesmen are full of crap. But you went ahead and bought the car after hearing this.

I don't think they're taking the car back. But the dead battery issue is very common on these Mustangs. I think the only thing different on yours is that previous owner pushed it and pushed it until the dealer and Ford got sick of him and lemoned the car. If you get a fresh battery (it's probably dead from sitting on the lot and going through multiple drain and recharge cycles) and drive it regularly I doubt you'll have any problems.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:51 AM
MADSCOTSMAN
2nd Gear Member

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say your probably don't have a leagl leg to stand on. You had the opportunity to walk away from the purchase when the mileage was "mis-represented", you also had the opportunity to walk away when you were told the car was a "buy-back". You chose to purchase this car after the dealership informed you of it's history, and after you saw the discrepency in the miles. The only thing the dealership owes you is a repair of the vehicle under the warranty IMO. Sorry... You can't agree to purchase vehicle with known issues, then cry wolf when those issues return and expect a new car.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:44 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

I don't think there is a limitation time if a dealer misrepresented issues such as mileage.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:44 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Call an attorney...

But im telling you dude, they aren't going to beable to do anything. Especially a month later and 1500 miles later.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:03 AM
buster
4th Gear Member

ummm. I think you are in trouble. You void the warranty if you reflash the computer. YOu say you had a charging system problem and yo reflashed the computer? It sounds to me like you are stuck with the car in the condition its now in. Lemon laws are to protect the consumer. A certain number of problems and they are forced to buy the car back. You should have investigated this.. I wouldn't have touched that car with a 10 ft pole
Old 07-28-2008, 10:23 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: buster

ummm. I think you are in trouble. You void the warranty if you reflash the computer. YOu say you had a charging system problem and yo reflashed the computer? It sounds to me like you are stuck with the car in the condition its now in. Lemon laws are to protect the consumer. A certain number of problems and they are forced to buy the car back. You should have investigated this.. I wouldn't have touched that car with a 10 ft pole

I do agree with your 10 foot pole scenerio. To try to explain his troubles away with "it's the bad battery thing and it is common with our cars" is just being stupid. Not you but others who have said this. Ford isn't going to do a buy back because of a bad battery.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:28 AM
ThrottleJunkie

But what bothers me is the way in which they represented the car.

They made the buyback seem like a total fluke. They even mocked the original owner. He said how dumb it was for Ford to buy that car back because it was perfectly fine all along, he just never drove it.

He also made the warranty seem like they were adding it in by their own will to sweeten the deal. In reality, that car was required to have that warranty and that's how I found out it was a lemon in the first place.

They were so confident in this "fluke" that they hardly spent any time talking about it. I didn't realize there's a difference between a buyback and a lemon. Had I heard the word lemon at any point in time I would have walked away immediately.

Car salesmen have a reputation of being shady people. This can be used against them. I have a feeling that the law sides with consumers on issues like this simply because of the reputation of the people selling the vehicles.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:29 AM
ThrottleJunkie

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

I do agree with your 10 foot pole scenerio. To try to explain his troubles away with "it's the bad battery thing and it is common with our cars" is just being stupid. Not you but others who have said this. Ford isn't going to do a buy back because of a bad battery.
Exactly. The buyback was because of a weak charging system, not a ****ty battery.

Quick Reply: Question about warranty/lemon/buyback title issue