Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shelby & GT muffler part numbers? AT vs MT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 09:10 AM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

Shelby GTH's, and Shelby GT's use the FRPP GTA's
The '08s or '09's might use those new Bullitt mufflers...

BTW do the stock GT mufflers designate between manual and auto? I've never heard of that!!??!
Old 09-06-2008, 09:19 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Many people say they sound different. I have never heard concrete proof of this though
Old 09-06-2008, 11:02 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by howarmat
Many people say they sound different. I have never heard concrete proof of this though

GT auto is F1-7991-L, F1-7991-R
GT manual is F1-7849-L, F1-7849-R

Since I am the only one supplying you actual #s
as you requested, do I have dibbs on a set of Shelby muffs?

I'll crawl under a few 09 Shelbys to see part #s asap.
Is there even such a thing as an AUTO Shelby?
Attached Thumbnails Shelby & GT muffler part numbers? AT vs MT?-gtmufflerauto.jpg   Shelby & GT muffler part numbers? AT vs MT?-gtmufflermt.jpg  

Last edited by 157dB; 09-06-2008 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:26 PM
Foreu2env
1st Gear Member

I'm meeting with the guy Monday night, he works for a dealership and he's been very up-front about everything so far. The last time I talked to him, he had a chance to check under a Bullitt on the lot and it didn't look like the same muffler, so I'm not sure they're GTAs. He has 3 sets of mufflers that have the larger rolled tips and a few GT muffler sets. All sets are from 05+ mustangs that the dealership ordered then did aftermarket upgrades on (body kits, exhaust, etc). I guess they had a lot of Mustang parts, 300+, and they just need to get them out of there. I'm actually meeting the guy on Monday at the dealership. I'll keep those part numbers and see if I can match them up to anything on the mufflers.

So far, JimC and 157db are the only 2 who have claimed anything, Jim only wants them if they're GTA's. If they're just Shelby rolled tip GT style mufflers are you still interested?
Old 09-06-2008, 07:34 PM
JimC

If they are the Shelby GT mufflers then I'm interested because those should be GTA's. The Shelby GT uses the GTA not the stock GT muffler. And to the prior poster, you can get a Shelby GT with an automatic (that is the only way the Shelby GT-H came and the Shelby GT is the "consumer version" of the GT-H).

Of course if they are off the Bullitt (GTB's) I'm still interested!
Old 09-08-2008, 04:56 PM
Foreu2env
1st Gear Member

Well I met with the guy today, his dealership had about 50 mustangs... it was like heaven. I just bought my mustang 4 weeks ago but I was almost tempted to just go start browsing.. he even had 4 blue and white shelby's lined up in a row going up to the entrance of the dealership. pretty insane.

The mufflers are apparently off of "the baby shelby", so the Shelby GT rather than the GT500. The mufflers have the GT part number that was listed above, but they have different tips than normal GT mufflers. They're a lot thicker and have rolled tips. I took some pictures that I'll upload in a lil bit. He wanted $30 for each muffler but he gave me a set of 2 for $40. To me, they look nicer than the "Shelby" tips that bolt on plus these are factory welded tips, no slide over garbage.

Since they're GT mufflers with nicer tips, I would say that shipping these to anyone would be pointless, the money you could spend on shipping would easily get you a nice set of tips welded on, but if anyone's local to SE Michigan I wouldn't mind giving you his name/number.

Part numbers on the mufflers themselves are F1-7849-L & F1-7849-R

Last edited by Foreu2env; 09-08-2008 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:50 PM
topbliss
2nd Gear Member

the pic you show is most def NOT Shelby GT mufflers. They look like normal GT mufflers with the GT appearence package. This includes rolled tips. I knew it was too good to be true.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:15 PM
flogduh
1st Gear Member

Yep - these are identical to the two that came off my 07 GT. My car came with the GT Appearance Package. I have two of these sitting in my garage now that I have the FRPP (Borla) Stingers on the car
Old 09-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Foreu2env
1st Gear Member

Alright, thats what I had thought, something with the regular GT mufflers. Afterall, it did have the GT part numbers on them. Either way, i'm happy with my $40 purchase! lol

He tried to sell me a Yellow GT rear bumper to fit my 2 new mufflers. I told him I didn't feel like going through the hassle of getting it painted so he offered me a deal.

He'll have his shop paint the bumper to match my car and get his decal guy to match my stripes on the new bumper all for a grand total of $270.

From what i've seen, take-off bumpers are going for $250 plus shipping, then I'd have to either HOPE i could find satin silver ones or then pay to get them paint matched.. so while the muffler deal might not have turned out to be such a steal, I'm feeling like the bumper deal more than makes up for it. Problem is, I dont have 270$ to throw at the *** end of my car right now...

Last edited by Foreu2env; 09-08-2008 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:04 PM
red07Pony
3rd Gear Member

I have questions.....

1) What's the difference between a MT muffler and an AT muffler?
2) What if I put an AT muffler on my MT car?
3) Does a GT500 use the same muffler as a regular GT? I found a set of "GT500" mufflers for sale and they list the part numbers the same as what db157 listed as a regular GT and they are autos (F1-7991). Is the seller defrauding? And should I pass because I have a MT car?

Quick Reply: Shelby & GT muffler part numbers? AT vs MT?