Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pypes 409 Axle-back?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 08:35 PM
atldave
2nd Gear Member

Default Pypes 409 Axle-back?

I have a V6 convertible. I'd like to add a little hp and a deeper growl without adding at lot of volume or spending a lot of money. I spend most of my time on the highway and the convertible is plenty noisy for me already. I've also got to deal with SO who is already skeptical about this whole Mustang thing. The Pypes 409 is only $139 at American Muscle and gets high reviews on the website. I have a suspicion that bad reviews get filtered out because there are nothing but great reviews published on all the products they sell. Anyone have any experience with this muffler? Worth the money?

If I can ever talk the SO into a big purchase, it would be a CAI and tune rather than exhaust. As far as exhaust goes, it would be something in the price range or nothing.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:52 PM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

I miss my Violators. They were 409 as well. It corrodes a bit, but it resists rust very well. I'm not sure on the V6's, but some GT owners have had alignment problems. Nothing that can't be easily resolved with a BFH, though. For the money, they're worth it.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:54 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

No V6 experience, but I had violators on for a while. I loved the sound with the stock H, but with an O/R H it was horrible. I plan to add hi-flow cats and 18 resonators, and try them again.

Sorry that was for on looker GT owners who might be curious. Honestly I gave one of my stock mufflers to a friend with a V6 and he liked it alot. If you know a GT owner you could probably get one for Free, if you dont they should be dirt cheap.

Good luck
Old 11-07-2008, 08:58 AM
One Bad Stang
4th Gear Member

i've got a GT, but i also have the violators you want and they're great. the quality is awesome and they sound amazing! they are on the "loud" side but not "**** off the neighbors" loud though. definatly worth the cash.

hope that helps ya!
Old 11-07-2008, 09:04 AM
One Bad Stang
4th Gear Member

sorry for the douple-post, but i liked my violators with the stock "h" pipe, but they reall came to life and sound allmost "exotic" with my magnaflow catted "x" pipe that i have now.

and if you want GT take-offs i have a set. if you want them, make an offer.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:09 PM
atldave
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for this helpful feedback. Sounds like I can't go wrong with either the Pypes or a GT takeoff. One Bad Stang, I may make you that offer if I can't find a takeoff locally.

I got an unexpected bonus today at work and the wife said I should do something fun. Music to my ears! I may get that that CAI and tune sooner than I thought! I just finished up a couple of appearance mods and will post pics soon.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:01 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

My friend has a single GT muffler on his V6 and it does sound pretty good. Still keeps a muscular sound. I've also heard the dual exhaust system but it sounds a bit euro/import to me.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:47 PM
One Bad Stang
4th Gear Member

cool, p.m. me if you want to make an offer.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:06 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

if you don't want to add a lot of volume, go GTA or GTB
Old 11-08-2008, 10:07 PM
navyboy12807

Im sorry I have pypes exhaust system and yea it sounds great but the product blows i have an 08 gt always went with flowmaster and was strapped for cash and went with pypes and 10 months later, the brackets are breaking off the muffler and the x-pipe. They rusted really quick i would recommend going some where else and stay away from pypes! i also had to relocate one of the O2 sensors!

Quick Reply: Pypes 409 Axle-back?