Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Revealed

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 10:33 AM
Icemizer

I like the redesigned front end. Very much dislike the back as it just appears to slide off. Kinda of just meh...
Old 11-18-2008, 10:45 AM
MustangD
2nd Gear Member

I love it. Still going to keep my 2005 since my miles are low. I will probably get one these in 2013.

- Side Bar - I garaged my Mustang for the winter today, same day as Ford reveals the 2010. Wish I could have taken her for one more spin. Oh well I guess I'll have to wait until Spring...
Old 11-18-2008, 11:04 AM
fordsbestcar
3rd Gear Member

I like the new look. Evidently new engine line up is in the 2011 model year. As far as the challenger they're fine. They won't let the Camaro shine for to long, come 2011 year the 5.0 and eccoboost V6 will probably be out. probably the 3.5 for stock stangs as well
Old 11-18-2008, 11:09 AM
jmstang66
2nd Gear Member

U-G-L-Y! the side profile shots look pretty cool, and some of the new colors are awesome...but other than that....the black grille with cut off foglights? could've just made the fogs smaller and the grille sides body color...the cheap looking front lip..yuck...the black side skirts are alright..the antenna..well a cool idea i guess to have it on the back fender, but why can't ford integrate it into the glass nowadays? and the back? oh don't get me started on the rear of this thing! tail lights?! who came in drunk to work that day and said hey these things look awesome lets put em on the '10! and whats with all the bulky looking chap plastic molding on the lower part of the bumper? interior itself looks ok, but the square vents in the middle kind of throw it off for me, should've kept em all round...sad to see that ford dropped the ball on this one...this was supposed to be THE car to compete with camaro and challenger, and the challenger looks sexier and sexier after i saw this hunk of junk come out....sorry guys
Old 11-18-2008, 11:09 AM
hirevn
1st Gear Member

The 05-09 looks much more like an american muscle car should look imo. At first glance I thought I was looking at a mazda rx8 (lol). But seriouisly, buying a base ss camaro with the 6 speed and 427 hp (i think thats close anyway) is only about 2500.00 more than a gt premium. sc for the stang is more than double that not including an install. The ls motors in the ss are already forged so people supercharging there camaros will be making some incrediable (safe) hp numbers without needing to tear into the short block.
Dont get me wrong, I love my stang but ford needs to man up and offer something more than a 50,000 gt500.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:27 AM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hirevn
The 05-09 looks much more like an american muscle car should look imo. At first glance I thought I was looking at a mazda rx8 (lol). But seriouisly, buying a base ss camaro with the 6 speed and 427 hp (i think thats close anyway) is only about 2500.00 more than a gt premium. sc for the stang is more than double that not including an install. The ls motors in the ss are already forged so people supercharging there camaros will be making some incrediable (safe) hp numbers without needing to tear into the short block.
Dont get me wrong, I love my stang but ford needs to man up and offer something more than a 50,000 gt500.
GT500=$42k MSRP, I've seen them new on lots for under $40k
Base model GT=$27k 13.0-13.2 1/4(I hear depending on weight reduction)
Base model Z28=$31k estimated 1/4-12.9-13.1 (from hp/weight)
GT500=Can't find the exact time but I know it's mid 12's

Looks to me like Ford made the right move.

Edit: Do Z28's actually come with forged internals?
Old 11-18-2008, 11:36 AM
Foreu2env
1st Gear Member

Overheard in a FoMoCo design meeting

"Hey you know how we completely redesigned the mustang for '05 and it was a total hit because it brought back memories of the classic muscle car look in a modern form?"
-Yeah, looks great
"well what if we make some more changes and get people excited again?"
-What do you have in mind?
"did anyone see transformers? That new Camaro has a very squinty and 'modern' front end, nothing like our big and bold muscle car look. I say we go small and squinty, lots of curves and completely abandon the classic look"
-Sure that sounds like a great idea.

WTF seriously. I love the big round head lights and front clip of the current body style, its honestly the ONE thing that sold me on the car above any other cars out there (350z specifically). So what do they do? they completely ruin it. Now it's all slanted and squinty eyed like a new camaro and other than the body shape, looks nothing like the revolutionary design of the current model. The big lights are gone, the straight edges, everything that i loved has been smashed in with a hammer until it's goofy and silly looking.

Wonderful, I'm glad I got mine before they started tryin to push this "modern" adaptation on me.
-Yeah why?
Old 11-18-2008, 11:48 AM
East87
4th Gear Member

This is the only explanation I can offer as to why Ford STILL chose not to offer a bigger engine in light of what Chevy and Dodge were offering. I hate to be cliche'd, but it all came down to fuel. It seems that Ford determined the engine size to sort of meet the average customer halfway in terms of power, overall cost, and "perceived" fuel use. By that I mean, it's intuitive to suggest that the Camaro SS and the Challenger SRT8 are going to be a lot worse on fuel than the GT because of the sheer increase in power.

I think it shows a conservative measure was taken by Ford to make sure that they weren't the ones who released a massively powerful muscle car only to have gas completely preclude the country from ever finding it possible to own one. Ford was apparently not interested in getting into an arms race with Chevy/Dodge, and Blue Oval felt that the lower price tag for a V8 would still beckon the average customer in the market for a sports car with some giddyup; without John or Jane Doe having to declare bankruptcy after driving off the lot. I think more than anything, it's a reflection of Ford's desperate attempts to stay afloat. A company in their position can hardly afford to take chances with a new setup on a classic car. If gas hits $4.50-$5.00 within the next year, you can bet your @$$ that you won't see nearly as many Camaro SS's or Challenger RT's/SRT8's as you will see '10 GT's.

Another point, who knows how reliable Chevy's 6.2L V8 will be? The 5.7L V8 in the Challenger? Chevy did ok for themselves offering a 300 hp aircraft carrier on wheels equipped with a V6. Who knows how well the Camaro will actually fare?...especially with that awful front end haha. All it takes is for a major engine issue to present itself, and the whole line is suddenly highly questionable. The same concerns arise with the Challenger. The SE trim package will have less power than the Mustang V6. What's the point? I think the Mustang will fare better with the general population than people think, especially with the Mustang's penchant for reliability. For true enthusiasts like us however...we're kind of left at a loss.

I thought I didn't really like the new-ish design, but now I'm finding that it really appeals to me. Nevertheless, it's very disappointing that Ford decided against adding some girth under the hood.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:45 PM
Commander Bubbles
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by guitar00dude
i said this in another thread.. this reminds me of the 86-87 transition than anything else..... i believe in overall look it is not more than the 86-87 change but actually cosmetics of the '10 is way more than 86-87 was just what headlights and tail lights? and the GT body kit option and i said beofe this may drive 99-04 owenrs to buy.. but i dont think many if any 05-09 owners will noit go for another loan for this... other than a special edition car
lol...did you read my post in OT before you posted this?

I feel the exact same way. I wasn't hoping for a huge power increase, but 325/325 would have been nice.

It's a good refresher though.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by 07BLACKGT
Look people, we all knew the engine wasn't changing this year.

Cosmetically, I'm in love like it is 2004 all over again!
Bring on 2011 and at LEAST 350 horses.
+1 with regard to the comment about already knowing the power output wasn't going to change...come on people you already knew this. 2011/12 is when the change in the lineup of the engines will happen. This has been known for at least the last month.

as far as the cosmetics, I like the interior, the exteriod hood is nice, but I'm not diggin the new grill (looks like the camaro) or the swoopd trunk to bumper area. Screams 350Z to me or some other japanese meets german abomination.

Quick Reply: 2010 Revealed