Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off the wall question....Gated shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 02:53 AM
clentonz
1st Gear Member

Question Off the wall question....Gated shifter?

I was just looking around at MGW shifters, etc. And my mind started wandering....you know how Ferrari's and what not have those aluminum/metal gated shifters? I wonder what it would look like on the S197s?

It's probably impossible to do anyways, b/c I've never seen one or heard of anyone doing this; and the way the the tranny works/positioned ....Sorry, if this is a really stupid question, ....but has anyone heard of anyone doing this? Just wondering....Thanks guys

Cheers,
Old 01-06-2009, 03:56 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Welcome to the forum and though no question is a stupid question in my book others on the forum may not think along the same lines as myself. If anyone gives you crap for this question and you feel you need me to step in or remove the thread just PM me and it will be handled!...... Now to answer your question I doubt it would happen on the stang and is actually a nice idea but were comparing apples to oranges here and everything needs to be cost effective when a car is being built at a factory (other then high end cars from Italy and other European countries etc) Aftermarket companies have not gone in that direction either from what I have seen and doubt it is cost effective for the many smaller aftermarket companies out there...... JMO
Old 01-06-2009, 04:10 PM
clentonz
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the welcome and input GT500, I appreciate it. So, it is not really that it can't be done; its more of a: MGW vs. Tri-ax vs. Pro 5.0 etc...and not really having a market for a gated shifter? Sorry that was confusing...So Ford obviously is not going to do it b/c($$$) and the aftermarket shifter companies won't do it because of $$$ and demand/performance/whatever....which is understandable...

I thought that the mustang 5-speed could never physically work with a gated shifter; for whatever reasons...like the way the stang shifts; would make a gated shifter impossible, etc. But I guess it would be the guys supplying the shifters that would make this happen; even if it was possible.

Thanks man, that answers my questions perfectly

btw...BAD*** Mustang!! Sooo clean!
Old 01-06-2009, 07:39 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

thought that the mustang 5-speed could never physically work with a gated shifter; for whatever reasons...like the way the stang shifts; would make a gated shifter impossible, etc
I am sure anything is possible but the cost of making it possible is IMO what limits what any manufacturer will make for the middle class American.

Thanks for the compliment on the stang......and yes I am a perfectionist and it is extremely clean!
Old 01-07-2009, 05:14 PM
Srt2Stang725
2nd Gear Member

I was actually thinking about the same thing...and i didnt think it would be that difficult. However I thought the gated shifter was just the metal gates instead of a shift boot.....but from what you guys are saying it seems like its something with the transmission/shifter?
Old 01-08-2009, 12:05 AM
One Bad Stang
4th Gear Member

shouldnt be too hard to make one from some thin sheet alluminum, if you had good tools, and a couple hours, and some skillz! the one thing i would worry about would be horrible rattling noises from the shifter contacting the metal gate piece.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:16 AM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

nice idea and welcome man
Old 01-08-2009, 02:56 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

gated shifters are just not found on American cars.
But they are really going out of style now, with most Ferraris and such switching to auto/shift or clutchless transmissions and paddle shifters.
I always liked the locked out first gear feature of the Lambo (and I think most all the others) but with computers running everything they have become obsolete!
Old 01-08-2009, 09:12 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

A few design thoughts:

You still need a boot underneath it to keep fumes and anything that splashes up off the road from coming in.

It needs to not foul the shifter stub itself or a shift lever fastener, and either be able to fit over the lever from the top or permit lever replacement if the lever is first removed (avoiding shift **** removal).

Gate slots need to be wide enough to accommodate the thickness of the shift lever plus some allowance for the drivetrain torquing over (toward the passenger side) plus enough clearance to eliminate rattles. The remaining metal "fingers" between the slots need to be wide enough so that they won't bend easily.

You need to develop a reliable method of getting it locating such that you actually end up with the clearances that you sized the slots for.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 01-08-2009 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:30 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

I've thought about this too, but I'm no fabricator so I have no means of making the plate or the shaft for the shifter.

I too really like the look of Ferrari's and Lamborghini's, the best I've been able to do is Hurst shifter with a polished shift ****. The know I have only cost like $20 off of eBay, but if you want something a little more high end here is a good ****...

http://www.twmshiftknobs.com/shiftkn...hiftknobs.html

Quick Reply: Off the wall question....Gated shifter?