Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Busted Door Speaker Need Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 05:33 PM
TheRebel
2nd Gear Member

Default Busted Door Speaker Need Replacement

My drivers door 6x8 speaker is busted. I could probably get warranty to cover it but I figure now might be a good time to upgrade. I'd like to stay under $150 for a pair. I want something with good midrange and highs. I have enough bass so that isn't a requirement. What do you guys recommend?
Old 01-16-2009, 05:39 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Damn, man... I just returned a pair of 6x8 Infinit Kappas and a 6x8 pair of Infinity References earlier today (because I decided to go with something else) that I had gotten like %60-70 off. Sorry man. Alpine and Infinity both make speakers in that price range and make good speakers. The Alpine have a bit more low end frequencies, but the Infinities have crystal clear highs. I think the 6x8 Kappas retail for $139.99 (I could hooked you up for like $100 shipped, wish you would have posted sooner).
Old 01-16-2009, 05:49 PM
TheRebel
2nd Gear Member

LOL, Thats my luck a day late and a dollar short. So what did you decide to go with?
Old 01-16-2009, 05:59 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

I'm still going with the Kappas, but I got the 6.5" speakers and ordered adapter plates to fit them to the 6x8 openings. Just makes sense to me that a round speaker will have better frequency response than an oval one. The oval will produce more low end frequencies because it has more surface area, but the circle having a uniform radius will allow it to produce a more accurate sound wave. I'm actually still using 6x8's in the back, but found out that I had an employee accommodation with Infinity, so I was able to order them for $36 per pair instead of the $65 I had gotten them for beforehand. At first I got 6x8 Kappas for the front and 6x8 References for the rears, then got 6.5 Kappas for the front and another (paid less) set of 6x8 Kappas for the rear and returned the first two pairs I got because I needed money fairly quickly and wasn't sure how quickly I would be able to sell them.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:05 PM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

ahh, upgrading----my favorite word!....

im not sure if u are still using your shaker or not but ill tell you what i did and havent had a problem yet and they sound great....

just to let you now 6x9's will fit in there as well....

i replaced the 2 front door 6x8's and the rear 6x8's with all Kicker 6x9 2-way 60w speakers....they sound great!...i have since replaced my shaker with a double-din dvd/cd player and they sound even better now that i can customize the equalizer presets...

i ended up paying $125 for both pairs of speakers so i believe you can get your hands on a pair for $65-$75 easy....i bought mine from a local audio store....

these speakers will be fine with the factory shaker amp, but if u decided to hook up a more powerful stand-alone amp for the 6x9's than i would suggest the next up Kicker 6x9's which would be like 100w but they are around $90 a pair...if you stay with the factory amps and go with the 100w speakers it will sound like crap since you wont have enough power the really push them...

i bought my kicker 60w 6x9s about 8-10 months ago and have no problems with them...

gl...
Old 01-17-2009, 12:35 PM
TheRebel
2nd Gear Member

Yes, I have a factory HU for now. My local stereo shop has a set of Kenwood C6882ie. I think they sound pretty good but I kind of like the idea of a round speaker as well. Any part numbers on the previously mentioned speakers so I can look up some specs?
Old 01-17-2009, 12:45 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Kenwoods Highs can be a bit harsh and I am pushing mine with a aftermarket amp.... The mids are great but tis is on a different car and not the stang so it may work for you. I have read anything for infinity and Rockford and JL will sound great .... JMO
Old 01-17-2009, 01:26 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Texotic
The oval will produce more low end frequencies because it has more surface area, but the circle having a uniform radius will allow it to produce a more accurate sound wave.
At the frequencies the 'woofer' reproduces, the shape of the radiator
is not a factor to a more accurate sound. Bass is omni-directional.
Now for midranges and tweeters, the shape of the radiator does
have a big factor on accurate sounds.
Ever seen the new SQUARE sub-woofers that are out on the market??

Polk Audio make a mean speaker for under $150.
Or you can get some $800 JL components.

Last edited by 157dB; 01-17-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:51 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Part#'s for the 6x9 Kickers or a link. I think I will go that route. I got a new HU but just want a bit cleaner sound when the windows are up. I enjoy my blower and exhaust when windows are down
Old 02-05-2009, 11:03 PM
TheRebel
2nd Gear Member

I ended up going with a set of Boston Acuustics s85s since they were a sure fit. The range seems to be about the same as the factory speakers but the highs are much clearer. I bought them from a third party for about half of what a retailer wanted for them. The price I paid was about right but I would not recommend paying full retail price for them. In their price range I'm sure there are better options.

Quick Reply: Busted Door Speaker Need Replacement