Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

2010 Mustang GT vs. 2010 Dodge Challenger

Old 02-18-2009, 10:44 AM   #41
Mustangemd19
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2004 Ford Mustang

The Challenger R/T will not beat a Mustang GT.
I was at the drag strip sunday and a R/T challenger went up against a (looked/sounded stock) 00-04 Bullit Mustang. The Challenger lost by at least 2-3 car lengths.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl9ihuvUVsE
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

Last edited by Mustangemd19; 02-18-2009 at 11:44 PM. Reason: video
Mustangemd19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:41 AM   #42
provofam
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008, Ford, Mustang

I really love both cars. I grew up a muscle car fan and my first vehicle was a 71' 340 Dodge Demon. I just bought an 08' mustang GT convertible, but I did consider the challenger. The clincher for me was when my wife chimed in about getting a convertible. The other big selling point was I like the pony car feel of the mustang. The challenger definitely has a bigger feel. With that said, I'm glad that Dodge & Chevy finally got smart and followed Fords lead by giving their fan base what they wanted all along - new musclecar handling & performance with old musclecar looks. Imagine how big a success the GTO would have been had they gone the nostalgic route. Like I said I'm a musclecar fan and how can any gearhead not enjoy seeing more American musclecars on the road!
provofam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:37 PM   #43
rex7010
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangemd19 View Post
The Challenger R/T will not beat a Mustang GT.
I was at the drag strip sunday and a R/T challenger went up against a (looked/sounded stock) 00-04 Bullit Mustang. The Challenger lost by at least 2-3 car lengths.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl9ihuvUVsE

not that is really matters.. but here is one that say it does ( Challenger wins ).. so which one is correct..?????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPROcXoOvW8&NR=1

rex7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:08 PM   #44
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 05 Mustang GT
Send a message via Yahoo to ThisBlood147

Both of you are off mark, because in both vids you posted one car was stock and the other wasn't. So making stock vs stock arguments with either vid is stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleestack
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleAnne
So technically the power to money ratio is still much better with the Camaro...
I don't think they correct times at the 1320 for that......
ThisBlood147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:34 AM   #45
99RedStang
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1999 Ford Mustang

Theoretically, the GT should be able to beat the R/T. 0-60 for the GT is 5.2 sec. 0-60 for the R/T is 5.9 sec. Despite it's power advantage, the Challenger is just too damn heavy. The 2008 Bullitt, which is what the 2010 GT is based on, runs about a 13.8 quarter-mile while the R/T runs about a 14.1. The 2010 GT is only slightly slower than the SRT8.
99RedStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:54 AM   #46
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2014 GT

LOL

0-60 5.9 seconds. You're reading to many magazines. They are faster than that.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:21 PM   #47
99RedStang
2nd Gear Member

Well, you can't argue with actual road results. Although, Inside Line recorded a 5.5 sec. 0-60 from a 1 mph rollout for the R/T. It's still slower than the 2010 GT. I'm a fan of both cars. I'm just stating facts here.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:39 PM   #48
torque_is_good
2nd Gear Member

I've always been a Mopar fan but IMHO, Chrysler missed the mark making the Challenger so big and expensive. I'll take a base GT and add a few mods and keep money in my pocket.

Sure, there is huge upside to the Hemi without having to go forced induction but it's just too damn heavy.

The Camaro really intrigues me. I also have a 95 LT1 Z28 and it moves!
Old 02-25-2009, 10:04 PM   #49
Riptide
6th Gear Member

The Challenger R/T has a hp/weight advantage over the GT. Some people have gone down into the low 13s with them stock in the 1/4.

I don't see how it's slower than a GT stock for stock.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:09 PM   #50
jakers204

Vehicle: 94 Mustang GT

Mustang newbie here. Just got a 94 GT, and after owning about ten cars, I am truly in love my ride. My jaw dropped when I first seen a Challenger on the road. Had to take one for a test drive. They only had the base model on the lot, and I thought it was ok, but the price is a little to high for me. Plus they got the gas guzzler tax on it. Cant picture paying extra taxes for a car because of MPG. Anyone know if the newer mustangs have that tax?
jakers204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:20 AM   #51
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to deekum1627

i want a challenger but next to my stang too
deekum1627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:22 AM   #52
99RedStang
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
The Challenger R/T has a hp/weight advantage over the GT. Some people have gone down into the low 13s with them stock in the 1/4.
I don't believe that without proof. And the R/T may have the hp/weight advantage but there are many factors that play into the GT having faster times. The GT might have a tighter suspension. It has a solid rear axle. Both would help the car launch better. It's not like the GT is a ton faster, but it is faster, at least in the 0-60 and 1/4 mile. This is assuming both cars had drivers of equal skill.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:19 AM   #53
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I guess I shouldn't believe some of the times people have claimed to run around here either without "proof". For instance low 13s in a stock GT. Because there are claims.

I guess some of you just refuse to believe without being there first hand yourselves and examining the car with a fine tooth comb.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:08 PM   #54
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Quote:
I guess I shouldn't believe some of the times people have claimed to run around here either without "proof". For instance low 13s in a stock GT. Because there are claims.

I guess some of you just refuse to believe without being there first hand yourselves and examining the car with a fine tooth comb.
I guess I'll believe it when one of them hands me my *** at the track or on the street. Until then, don't count on me losing sleep over it.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-26-2009, 04:31 PM   #55
Riptide
6th Gear Member

They are much rarer cars than the Mustang. May be a while. If Chrysler even stays in business that is.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:05 PM   #56
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT Premium Auto - Vista Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakers204 View Post
Mustang newbie here. Just got a 94 GT, and after owning about ten cars, I am truly in love my ride. My jaw dropped when I first seen a Challenger on the road. Had to take one for a test drive. They only had the base model on the lot, and I thought it was ok, but the price is a little to high for me. Plus they got the gas guzzler tax on it. Cant picture paying extra taxes for a car because of MPG. Anyone know if the newer mustangs have that tax?

The GT500 has the guzzler tax. I think that tax is so lame.
FRPP Hot Rod crew

Dance, Dance...DANCE!!!

camthumpinstang (Gary Marine of Illinois) is a scammer!
SirKnightTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:44 PM   #57
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Quote:
They are much rarer cars than the Mustang. May be a while. If Chrysler even stays in business that is.
I dunno, I had a base model Challenger on the side of me trying to race a few weeks back. I declined, out of respect for his good lookin ride.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-27-2009, 02:44 AM   #58
99RedStang
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisBlood147 View Post
I dunno, I had a base model Challenger on the side of me trying to race a few weeks back. I declined, out of respect for his good lookin ride.
HA! He sure was out of his league. Lucky for him, you declined.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:24 PM   #59
neverUmind

Vehicle: 2009 Challenger R/T

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99RedStang View Post
I don't believe that without proof. And the R/T may have the hp/weight advantage but there are many factors that play into the GT having faster times. The GT might have a tighter suspension. It has a solid rear axle. Both would help the car launch better. It's not like the GT is a ton faster, but it is faster, at least in the 0-60 and 1/4 mile. This is assuming both cars had drivers of equal skill.
Intruder Alert: I'm a Challenger R/T owner and came across this thread and wanted to compliment most of you Mustang owners on your well reasoned and fair comparisons of the Mustang vs Challenger.

I just wanted to post a few comments and run along.

1. Speed. The best 1/4 mile time that I've seen for a completely stock R/T is 13.4 seconds (proof and time slip available on the web). People are also recording 0-60 in under 5 seconds. If you think we're doing mid-14's, we're kewl with that just don't go betting your 401k on it. And certainly don't forget about people modding it. With two of the simplest and most common mods, a CAI and an exhaust, the Challenger picks up 30-40hp.

2. "Extra Big *** Car." Ok, we win this hands down.

3. Ride. Ok, we win this too. Remember, Chrysler was owned by Mercedes. The Challenger R/T got the Mercedes touring suspension, and you can tell. The STR8 got a tighter suspension.

::: poof :::
neverUmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:28 AM   #60
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverUmind View Post
1. Speed. The best 1/4 mile time that I've seen for a completely stock R/T is 13.4 seconds (proof and time slip available on the web). People are also recording 0-60 in under 5 seconds. If you think we're doing mid-14's, we're kewl with that just don't go betting your 401k on it. And certainly don't forget about people modding it. With two of the simplest and most common mods, a CAI and an exhaust, the Challenger picks up 30-40hp.
The 13.4 is not surprising to me but I bet those were some really really nice conditions and track prep... just like some people who have ran a 13.2-13.3 in a stock 5-speed GT.

12.647 @ 110.1 MPH w/ 1.993 60' - Mods: (Novi 2200, FRPP 3v Intake Manifold, Kooks LT Headers, Kooks Catted X-Pipe, Pypes Mid
Muffler System, Spohn LCA's, 18" Contintenal ExtremeContact DWS All Seasons)

13.082 @ 105.05 MPH w/ 1.969 60' on Stock P-Zero All Season 17s (CAI, Full Exhaust, only)

Show: 18" Black Saleen Replicas, Trufiber GTS III Hood, California Special Front Bumper
gburke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:28 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2010, boss, challenger, challengers, cobra, date, dodge, forum, gt, hood, iv, mustang, release, rt, sale, type, win