Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang Locking Itself

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 08:42 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

Default Mustang Locking Itself

Ok so I drove my mustang to work today (2005 mustang gt) and on the way back it was raining HARD. I took it out later after I got home and now all it does it keep locking itself. I tried reseting it by unplugging the battery and reconnecting it but it keeps doing it. It keeps locking itself ever 5-10 seconds and sometimes 4-5 times in a row. It does it while driving as well. Before when it rained real bad it reset my canbus system and I had to reset the car but that was the worst of it and is was fine after that.

I have also checked the floor and the carpet isnt wet. Doesnt smell like mildew or wet in my car. I also checked the area where the cabin air filter is, and its not clogged at all... no standing water.

What do you think this problem is now?
Old 02-17-2009, 08:46 PM
tampa07gt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by avengence
Ok so I drove my mustang to work today (2005 mustang gt) and on the way back it was raining HARD. I took it out later after I got home and now all it does it keep locking itself. I tried reseting it by unplugging the battery and reconnecting it but it keeps doing it. It keeps locking itself ever 5-10 seconds and sometimes 4-5 times in a row. It does it while driving as well. Before when it rained real bad it reset my canbus system and I had to reset the car but that was the worst of it and is was fine after that.

I have also checked the floor and the carpet isnt wet. Doesnt smell like mildew or wet in my car. I also checked the area where the cabin air filter is, and its not clogged at all... no standing water.

What do you think this problem is now?

Do you see any invisible people in the car?

Any small children with the exta key fob?

In all seriousness I've never seen that before. Crossed or exposed wire that got wet maybe. See if it stops after it dries out.

Last edited by tampa07gt; 02-17-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:06 PM
bronxbomba63
4th Gear Member

Wow...that's a new one. Did you splice any wires? The wind and rain may be causing a short.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:35 PM
digitalcos
3rd Gear Member

Raining hard eh? Oooooo, you're not gonna be happy about this one. I just posted this a couple days ago:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...-problems.html

Here's a much longer thread about the issue:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...-mustangs.html

Here's the TSB:

http://www.stangnet.com/images/stori...s/07-14-06.pdf

I seriously recommend that all 05-09 owners check into this problem. As I stated in my post, the problem isn't always going to manifest itself as a puddle on the floor. Do your windows fog up more than they should? Have you noticed a musty smell?
Old 02-17-2009, 10:36 PM
digitalcos
3rd Gear Member

Let us know what you find out.

Last edited by digitalcos; 02-17-2009 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:56 AM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

I think its in the doors or something. I am going to take a door panel off and see if the locking mechanisms are wet. You think if water got on something important down in the kick panel, more would happen than just the doors locking themselves. I dont see water anywhere else.

I also let it sit for a whole day in my garage and it still sort of does it but it seems like its going away... I dunno what to do and its making me angry that my car keeps having strange problems.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:07 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

Fortunately I haven't had this problem. Thanks for the info though. As usual, this forum is the best.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:43 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

If it starts playing 50's era love songs on the radio.. run...
Old 02-20-2009, 12:18 PM
digitalcos
3rd Gear Member

"You think if water got on something important down in the kick panel, more would happen than just the doors locking themselves."

I'm here to tell you from experience... no.

I had two weeks where the cruise control was acting up, then the problem just disappeared. About a month and a half later the ABS and TCS lights came on for two days, then the problem just disappeared.

The water may not be making it's way all the way down to your floor pan. Mine didn't. If it's getting into the electronics it's hard to determine exactly what it's going to effect at any given time. Cruise control, ABS/TCS... or maybe door locks.

In any case, if water is getting in there, that's bad news long term.

I'm not saying with any certainty that that's what's causing your problems. I'm saying that the fact that it's just your door locks that have been acting up is not an indication that that's not what's causing your problem.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:21 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrSandman
If it starts playing 50's era love songs on the radio.. run...
Particularly if your car is named Christine.

Quick Reply: Mustang Locking Itself