Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ordered new BFG drag radial 2's

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 09:34 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

you know, normally i would reccomend Mickey Thompsons, but these look ****in beefy, plus they have more tread (look more streetable)
Old 03-05-2009, 11:49 PM
One Bad Stang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
Man, I love your intiative and wanting to break into the 12's... that was my project when I bought the stang.

I have this dream of making my car not only steetable on a daily basis but also a 12 second car, which i (like to) think it is now. I just can't imagine putting different wheels, etc on my car to run a certain ET and then posting it up like I can run that on the street. The f-body crowd really pisses me off in that respect .

you may just run a sub-13 second 1/4 on tires/cai/catback alone. keep us updated bro!
i will defenatly keep everyone updated. if i break into the 12's, i think i will need a change of underware because i might soil myself!! lol. and as for the f-body crew posting up times like it's streetable, most drag radials are streetable if thats what you were refering to. it's not recomended for anything but dry weather, but it's do-able.

Originally Posted by gman73
Are you going to Fontana this Friday?
no, not fontana. i live in vegas, so i will be at the local track.

Originally Posted by AmericanMuscle4.6GT
you know, normally i would reccomend Mickey Thompsons, but these look ****in beefy, plus they have more tread (look more streetable)
i know what you mean. i wanted mickeys, but for one, i couldn't get them by friday, and for two, i love the classic BFG tread pattern. and also i read the reviews on tirerack.com on these tires, and a bunch of people say they behave good on the streets in dry weather and very very light rain, which is wierd for a drag radial.

and by the way, i noticed your E.T. in your signiture, what tires are you running? i bet you have mickey thompsons judging by your reply. lol. and i have never used drag radials before, any tips for launching?

Last edited by One Bad Stang; 03-05-2009 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:28 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

I had those in a 265/40/18 size (discontinued in early 08) and the hook pretty well I could pull mid 1.7xs with them. the size you bot will fit on a 17x8 but bulge a little would be better on a 17 x 9

the link you have is not for the BFG DR IIs that pic is of the orignials

these are the IIs

good luck on the hunt for 12s
Old 03-06-2009, 06:42 PM
One Bad Stang
4th Gear Member

well, the tire rack listing says they are the "drag radial II's". but i really dont care what they are as long as they do their job. lol
Old 03-06-2009, 07:41 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

I ran the same size Goodyear drag radials on some 17x8 take offs with no problems at all.
A little squirly at the end of the 1/4 with the low psi, and the extra bulge in the sidewall, but still safe for the straights.
I picked up 2 17x9's now, the fitment was a little better as expected, but have not run them just yet.

Its like learning to launch all over again after being use to street tires, lol.
I was doing 13.1's for a while, once I got the hang of it 12.8's 4 times in a row my last time out. I was surprised at my consistency, esp, with the stick.

looks a little odd with a smaller tire on the rear, but who cares!
It hooks and thats all that matters to me.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:56 AM
One Bad Stang
4th Gear Member

well i installed the tires today at work. i like the look, but the are not as tall as the fronts, so it looks a little funny like stoenr said, but it's all good. here's some photos.

i also have some track results from tonight. my best of 4 runs was a 13.8

i guess i kind of suck at this drag radial thing. like stoenr said, it's like learning to launch all over agian. the first 3 runs, i had the tire pressures too low and it was bogging bad. then on run 4 i got the pressures good and the engine was sooo hot from sitting in the staging lanes for 20 minuts creeping foreward, i probably had about 10 horsepower left from heat soak.

i will try to get a video up and post the link here.

***but the good news is there was a 427R in front of me and he couldnt get better than a 14.2! and there was also an srt-8 charger that ran a 14.1. i have gathered that my local track sucks compared to others, and it also doesnt help that were at 2000 feet elevation. there was also an 06 GT with a built short block running a 175 shot of n2o (yes, 175) and he put the top of the intake manifold through the hood!!

Last edited by One Bad Stang; 03-07-2009 at 12:59 AM.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:13 AM
gman73
5th Gear Member

What RPM were you launching at? I have heard that 3500-4000 is best with the drag radials. When I return from Deployment in Nov, M&H drag radials will be at the top of the list.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:32 AM
One Bad Stang
4th Gear Member

arround 3000 rpm is where i was launching. sometimes it would bog down and then on the last run, i adjusted the tire pressures to 27 psi and it seemed to just barely spin in first gear and that was the last run.

here's the video for professional analasis... lol

best run of 4
Old 03-07-2009, 01:45 AM
gman73
5th Gear Member

I think you need to burn out a little more to get the tires hot and probably should have launched at 3500-4000 RPMs. 27 PSI was probably too much. I think 17-18 PSI would have been better. About 2 weeks ago when I went to the local track, one of my friends with an 06 Mustang with a saleen S/C was running about 17-18 PSI with is M&H drag radials. He was getting 1.6-1.7 60' times.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:54 AM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

If you're bogging, you need to bring the RPMs up. If you drop some more air out of the tires, you'll also (slightly) effectively lower your rear end ratio. If you still bog after that, you just don't have enough gear for the tires and need to slip the clutch off the line.

Quick Reply: ordered new BFG drag radial 2's