Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with 1/4 mile

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 02:04 PM
Jizz
2nd Gear Member

Dunlop FM901

I could hit 1.6x with those tires.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:25 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

Don't do your burnout in the water box for two reasons: 1, the water will cool the tires which is opposite of why you are doing a burnout in the first place-to heat them up. 2nd and more importantly, you will spin a bunch of water up into the wheel-well which will then drip off on top of your tire reducing traction and getting the track wet for the next guy which can be very dangerous.

I don't recommend using the waterbox to do a burnout with street tires as the water is just there to help people with slicks or DRs do their burnout in 2nd gear, its very easy to spin street tires without any water. My thought is using the waterbox just gives the chance to collect water in the tread which will most likely reduce your traction on the launch and down the track. Actually I wouldn't recommend doing a burnout at all with street tires, but a mere spin or two to clean them off. That's just my 2 cents though.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:26 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jizz
Dunlop FM901

I could hit 1.6x with those tires.

You have? Or you think you could? I've never heard of anyone pulling 1.6s with a street tire.

edit: apart from AWD cars and that would still be very difficult
Old 03-24-2009, 02:32 PM
highline
4th Gear Member

[QUOTE=Johnboy7701;6052045] are you powershifting or granny shifting? QUOTE]

Please explain the difference to a noob
Old 03-24-2009, 02:50 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by highline
Originally Posted by Johnboy7701
are you powershifting or granny shifting?
Please explain the difference to a noob
Power shifting is when you don't let off the gas during a shift, and shift as quickly as possibly. Granny shifting is when you are lifting your foot off the gas to shift.

Power shifting is prob good for a 1/10th or so but can be strenuous on your transmission synchros (trust me, I know )
Old 03-24-2009, 02:50 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AmericanSpeed
You can easily run a 12 with your current setup (108 mph is more than enough). Just takes consistent seat time. How many passes have you made in the Bullit? More importantly, how many passes have you made in the last couple of months? Best way to get better is to go consistently. Skipping a couple of monthes in between means you will have to relearn some of the previously gained knowledge.

My guess is that you are getting too excited coming out off the launch. You can get a nice 60' time with street tires, but it takes a lot of discipline with the gas peddle and clutch. You can't be dropping the clutch at 4k and hook on street tires. You have to moderate power with the clutch. You also can't just jam the gas peddle to the floor, you really need to roll into the throttle. Takes some time and practice (and a little faith to be easy on the gas on the launch), but you after you figure it out, you can be cutting 2.00-1.9xs all day.

Trap speed seems good to me. I think some people are forgetting that the Bullit comes with a CAI and 3.73s from the factory.
Great advice. Work on your 60's and run the car ice cold and you will be there.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:54 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Power shifting is when you don't let off the gas during a shift, and shift as quickly as possibly. Granny shifting is when you are lifting your foot off the gas to shift.

Power shifting is prob good for a 1/10th or so but can be strenuous on your transmission synchros (trust me, I know )
A true powershift is also not completely engaging the clutch (pushing it to the floor) it's just stomping it enough to make the gear change.

It is difficult and takes practice and is definitely hard on your clutch but it is also good for up to a 1/2 second if done properly...

The vast majority of all n/a mustangs I have seen at the track also run up to 3/10's quicker when ice cold versus normal operating temp...
Old 03-24-2009, 02:57 PM
highline
4th Gear Member

So just floor it and shift, EH? I'll have to try that...thanks
Old 03-24-2009, 03:35 PM
chub46
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by highline
So just floor it and shift, EH? I'll have to try that...thanks
Floor it and shift, that's what I thought. There is more to it, that is way I asked for help.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:39 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

One of the stickys in S&S also mentions not doing a burnoff with street tires. Says to drive around the box if you can.

Quick Reply: Need help with 1/4 mile