Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I hate my 4.10 gears!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 04:48 PM
pnut
2nd Gear Member

Default I hate my 4.10 gears!

Manual 5spd.

- First gear is useless, only good for spinning tires (which I can do with any other gear ratio anyway)
- Constantly shifting
- Too high rpm on highway (have Pypes MM system, and it's loud, not droning, at 2650 at 75mph)

I know most people here love them, but I have to say I'm going to pay to have 3.73 or 3.55's installed. Maybe if I had stock mufflers it would be ok, but with the Pypes system, it's in that "sweet spot" of loudness at 2650 rpms. At 2400 and 71mph, its fine. I'll be switching hopefully in the next few weeks (before my wife and I take a 15 hour road trip in the Mustang). Anyone have any gears for sale??

I've had them for a few weeks now, and just drove the Mustang on the highway at 75 for the first time today.....
Old 04-10-2009, 05:06 PM
ABQstang89
3rd Gear Member

Interesting. I have heard only mostly good things about them. Enough in fact to convince me of them. I'm sure someone on here would be willing to trade with you. If not would you be looking into selling them? You should post a video of this extra loud noise your talking about. I would be very interested to listen to it. But other than that do you have any gear whine?
Old 04-10-2009, 05:36 PM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

not to be a dick but didnt u do any homework before you bought them? every thing u said u would of known if you had and saved you the headache from the get go.

constantly shifting??? I shift less now with my gears, strat in 2nd gear and go to 4th or from 3rd to 5th, its like a 2 speed now when I wantit to be lol

I cant even imagine if you had a diff set up like macs or slp if you think the mm is system is loud on the highway lol crazy what some think is loud and to others isnt, I have mm and o/r x and its still not loud enough for me sometimes inside the car, outside sounds wicked but sometimes wished it was louder inside, I had macs, slp etc before so maybe thats where the sensation comes from.

If I had my 3.55 around I would of gave them to u but no clue what I did with them I will go look in the garage and see if I can find them and if I do there yours, not sure if its good to buy used gears or not though?
Old 04-10-2009, 05:41 PM
NaplesFL11GT
3rd Gear Member

Talking

Trade ya for my 331's.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:54 PM
ABQstang89
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NaplesFL05GT
Trade ya for my 331's.
haha +1^
Old 04-10-2009, 05:55 PM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NaplesFL05GT
Trade ya for my 331's.
lol no doubt.

As stated above, start in 2nd and go directly to 4th for stop and go driving if it bothers you. Breaking the tires loose is more of a tire issue. I had 4.10's on my '05 with BFG KDW2's and if I started out, then nailed it, it'd barely chirp and go. It's all about the rubber. Now, if I dumped the clutch, that's a different story.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:56 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

15 hour road trip in the mustang with 4.10s haha :P I dont mind it for a few hours at a time but yeah.. 15 hours with that noise would bother me.. If i did much highway with my mustang I wouldn't have gotten 4.10s thats for sure..
Old 04-10-2009, 06:02 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

If I'm skipping first gear then I don't understand the point. I'd go back to 3.73 or 3.55 too.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:10 PM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
If I'm skipping first gear then I don't understand the point. I'd go back to 3.73 or 3.55 too.
whats not to understand, some people dont want to shift as much 24/7 but when the time comes to haul *** its there for you....

your comment makes as much sence as saying oh why buy a s/c if your not in boost all the time......

its relavent to everything man, like buying a cd why buy a cd if you skip the first song lol you may not feel like listening to it that day or time so its pointless to get anything unless you use it to 100% at all times?
Old 04-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TOMBSTANG
whats not to understand, some people dont want to shift as much 24/7 but when the time comes to haul *** its there for you....
I guess. I know what you're trying to get across and I don't necessarily disagree. The analogies aren't the greatest because gears aren't meant to be skipped like songs on a CD. Totally different items. And if I hardly ever used my blower then why have it in the first place. Just seems silly to me to get something like that and then not use it.

Quick Reply: I hate my 4.10 gears!