Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Strut Mount

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 06:50 PM
Mustangs4U
3rd Gear Member

Default Front Strut Mount

I finally gave up. I can not take the popping on the car anymore, so I went out and ordered the newer strut mounts...code 8R3Z-18183-B. I hope this fixes the noise that I have been hearing since I've had the car.

For those of you that have changed it yourselves, can I do it in my driveway without the use of an impact or should I go to the shop thats on the base here and do it there? Just wondering how hard is it going to be to take off the nut on top of the strut mount.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:21 PM
GA05GT
2nd Gear Member

You can remove w/o an impact but have a wrench on the top, and rent a spring compressor.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:57 PM
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

X2 on the spring compressor.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:21 PM
Black3vGT
4th Gear Member

Your hearing a popping noise? Are you sure it's the strut mounts? My strut mounts are bad but they're making a creaking sound, no popping.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:32 PM
Mustangs4U
3rd Gear Member

Well....just replaced the strut mounts on the stang. It was actually pretty easy with the lift and right tools. Only took me 1 1/2 hours to do it. So far so good, but I will keep an ear out for it to see if its really gone. The only thing that I have left to replace if its still popping are the endlinks.....speaking of which, while working on the car today, I noticed that the right side is bad. The boots are torn and may be the reason why i have the popping noise.

So far, I have replaced the lower control arms, strut mounts and may have to replace the end links but I will get to the bottom of my popping noises!!!!!
Old 05-16-2009, 01:08 PM
siberian.mist
4th Gear Member

after lowering the car i was getting a lot of front end noises too. tightened everything up in the front end, thought id have to replace the strut mounts AGAIN. ended up being the passenger side endlink bushing was absolutely shredded. replaced the bushing, popping is gone and front end is silent.

that 1 shredded bushing was 10 times louder than my original strut mounts ever were too.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:24 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Have you checked the sway bar end links for proper tighness?
(8R3Z-18183-A)cost $58.23 each.
Are they to the B series already???
Why not step up to the GT500 front strut mounts if you are going to
all the trouble and its not a free warranty thing??
Spring compressor, instructions and a torque wrench...

Some suspension fasteners are of the one time use variety.
Any hardware that you loosen up, needs to be replaced
with new Ford one time use hardware according to the
WorkShop Manual.
http://www.i-car.com/pdf/advantage/o...006/121106.pdf

Last edited by 157dB; 05-16-2009 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:48 PM
Mustangs4U
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by siberian.mist
after lowering the car i was getting a lot of front end noises too. tightened everything up in the front end, thought id have to replace the strut mounts AGAIN. ended up being the passenger side endlink bushing was absolutely shredded. replaced the bushing, popping is gone and front end is silent.

that 1 shredded bushing was 10 times louder than my original strut mounts ever were too.
Your right on that one....just noticed that my right side endlink is bad....the boot is almost gone and it looked rusted inside which again, is probably the noise that i am hearing. Oh well, i have new strut mounts now.......

how much are endlinks? Cant be that much......

Anybody know where I can find some aftermarket end links?

Last edited by Mustangs4U; 05-16-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:26 PM
siberian.mist
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustangs4U
Your right on that one....just noticed that my right side endlink is bad....the boot is almost gone and it looked rusted inside which again, is probably the noise that i am hearing. Oh well, i have new strut mounts now.......

how much are endlinks? Cant be that much......

Anybody know where I can find some aftermarket end links?
the steeda competition endlinks are on sale for 99 shipped at stangsuspension right now..

otherwise sam stranos are pretty popular and teflon lined.. if the boot is almost gone i guarentee your clunking is coming from there.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:35 PM
Mustangs4U
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by siberian.mist
the steeda competition endlinks are on sale for 99 shipped at stangsuspension right now..

otherwise sam stranos are pretty popular and teflon lined.. if the boot is almost gone i guarentee your clunking is coming from there.
Thanks, I wish I would have noticed it before I spent all that money on new lower control arms and now strut mounts. Oh well, lesson learned I guess. Good news is the endlinks are probably the easiest thing to change out.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Front Strut Mount