Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever "Brake checked" a cop?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 08:25 PM
Toy4Bob
3rd Gear Member

Default Ever "Brake checked" a cop?

Anyone else ever brake check a cop?

Driving down a state highway in the Mustang at 10:00 pm on a Saturday night, cruise set about 3 mph over limit, following another car when the radar detector starts giving weak signal. Think he may be coming around the curve at me, but soon realize a county cop is coming up behind me.

He gets a little close at first, then backs off and runs a decent distant behind. go about 2 miles and he decides to ride up my a$$, and I mention to the wife that he probably thinks I am a punk teenager he can intimidate into making a mistake so he can pull over. At this point he is so close his headlights disappear, so.... brakecheck.

Now I must admit, not near the brake was used as normal under these conditions, but enough that the brakelights lit, cruise control went off, and I let it drop a couple mph before holding there. I look over and smile at the wife as I am amused , and she just rolls her eyes at me. LOL.

He backed off several car lengths and stayed there for about 2 miles. Then he lights em up, and goes roaring past.

I just think it was BS and decided to push my luck...figured he wouldn't try a beatdown in front of a witness .... not sure what I would have said if he pulled me over.... probably that I thought I saw a deer coming toward the road.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:29 PM
Sixx
1st Gear Member

I would have done the same thing. Good for you.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:32 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I'd be honest and tell him that for an officer, he has a lot of nerve tailgating, that you have a witness and that you had considered getting his badge # and reporting him but that you would let him go out of the kindness of your heart. But if he was close because he was admiring your ride, well then, thank him.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:35 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

yep, nothing like a good hard brake check....if
you do it right, there's an adrenaline rush and
you feel great for the rest of the day
Old 05-20-2009, 08:38 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

+1 on the adrenaline rush. I hate tailgaters and am always getting into it after doing a good, hard, heart stopping brakecheck.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:40 PM
Toy4Bob
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I'd be honest and tell him that for an officer, he has a lot of nerve tailgating, that you have a witness and that you had considered getting his badge # and reporting him but that you would let him go out of the kindness of your heart. But if he was close because he was admiring your ride, well then, thank him.
I like this approach!
Old 05-20-2009, 08:40 PM
BigGameHunter589
2nd Gear Member

serve and protect? or harass and annoy?
Old 05-20-2009, 08:43 PM
luckydawg003
4th Gear Member

I never risk brake checking. Always figured the idiot behind me would rear end my car. Then I'd be pissed, plus FL is a no fault state.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:46 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i hate them too nuke, i consider tailgating a
direct assault on my personal safety and
all bets are off.....

of course i would never do it in the stang...only
in the work truck

Originally Posted by Nuke
+1 on the adrenaline rush. I hate tailgaters and am always getting into it after doing a good, hard, heart stopping brakecheck.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:50 PM
Toy4Bob
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hammeron
yep, nothing like a good hard brake check....if
you do it right, there's an adrenaline rush and
you feel great for the rest of the day
I got that rush the day after work when some dipweed was RIGHT on my butt and I was driving my truck, with trailer hitch, and I literally heavy braked all the way to a stop, sat for a three count, and slowly took back off. this was from 65 mph in a 55

I did of course keep a very close eye in mirrors so if someone got out shooting I would be flooring it. I know this was probably pretty stupid, but I had nicely tried to get them off me a couple times, and they seemed to have no interest in passing, so WTF? And two weeks prior, I was rearended when stopping for traffic. Pulled over and she had a busted grill /bumber from hitting my hitch. She had been kinda close and talking on the phone, and when traffic ahead slowed for a left turner, she wasn't paying attention.

Needless to say, they must have decided I was crazier than they were, and stayed WAY back until they turned off about 5 miles later.

Quick Reply: Ever "Brake checked" a cop?