Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which exhaust ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 08:41 PM
dodger5
1st Gear Member

Cool which exhaust ?

The first thing i want to do to my mustang is put an exhaust and i dont know which one. well i dont want to **** off the neighbors but i want it louder than stock a nice muscle sound. i been looking and i like the borla exhaust but which one a cat back one or axle back one. help me to make up my mind lol thanks its a 06 gt 5 speed.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:47 PM
302me
2nd Gear Member

Get the Axel Backs w/ an either and O/R H-pipe or an O/R Prochamber. Loud and throaty but not enough to **** off the neighbors. If you have emissions in your area you can stay w/ the stock mid pipe or get another one w/ high flow cats. Check out Youtube for sound clips.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:55 PM
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

Default Boomtubes

I would like to personally recommend Boomtubes...
Old 05-23-2009, 08:57 PM
dodger5
1st Gear Member

lol what are boomtube never heard of them and i dont want to set off car alarms while driving if i rev it i better get some car alarms off lol

Originally Posted by Hicompression
I would like to personally recommend Boomtubes...
Old 05-23-2009, 09:11 PM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

lol, everyone recommends boomtubes

boomtubes are basically a real free-flowing style axleback that give a nice loud, throaty sound. i have ford's gta axlebacks (the kind that are on the shelby gt's (not gt500)) and really like the sound; they are a little louder than stock but much deeper.

overall, though, the sound you like best is up to you but youtube has a lot of different exhaust clips for your listening pleasure
Old 05-23-2009, 11:16 PM
sierra224

I was in the same boat. You want it to sound like a muscle car and increase HP by getting rid of the stock exhaust. I don't know what you can get away with as far as emissions / noise, but I went with Roush's off-road, cat-back for $550.

It is loud, but not obscene. Most car radios play louder than this exhaust system so shouldn't be a prob w/law enforcement. If you're not going heavy on gas, can't even hear it anyway, but there is a drone / rumble when on the highway but is easily overcome if you turn your radio up.

The Roush revvs though...As I type, my wife just started it up and I'm smiling...

It sounds like a muscle car should sound. 4" tips polished S/S with Roush logo.

To put it this way, I just had some work done and the mechanic took a picture of the car for his wall of fame. The guy who did the exhaust job only charged me $70, he was grinning ear to ear when he rolled it off the rack and had to rev it up. I go into places and I have dudes telling me its a nice car. The pipes attract attention, not annoyance.

Good luck.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:39 AM
nicksfoursix
1st Gear Member

Mufflers are a matter of personal taste, like clothing which gives you a certain look. I agree as posted before, "You Tube" for a taste of how a particular muffler set-up sounds.
I personally wanted something with a little more volume to it (not ear-deafening loud), but I did not want drone. In my case, I heard a lot about the Ford Racing GTAs of which I currently listen to on the back of my '05 GT Automatic. I love the sound.
I read a lot of posters who buy a muffler set and then go out and buy something else because they did not like the first set-up they bought.
Do as much research as you can until you're positive that that's the sound you want.
Good Luck
Old 05-24-2009, 01:54 AM
SikO7GT
2nd Gear Member

I'm in the same boat as you!!
I constantly search up youtube but i cant decide!!
My choices are between the Pypes MM system, Mac Axlebacks, and boomtubes!!
I suggest you keep searching on youtube until you find the perfect one!!
IMO it sounds like you would possibly want the Pypes MM system!! It sounds awesome but i've heard horror stories about them not lining up correctly and a rattle here and there!!
Old 05-24-2009, 02:21 AM
smokestang
3rd Gear Member

IMO you cant go wrong with the borlas! good musclecar sound..some mild drone,but not unbearable and definetely not too loud at cruise, yet mean as hell at WOT!
Old 05-24-2009, 08:58 AM
usc49erfan
2nd Gear Member

you can get slp resonators, just the mufflers for $130 shipped, and they probably are the loudest out there

Quick Reply: which exhaust ?