Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting power in low RPMs with Brenspeed tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 03:07 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

Default Getting power in low RPMs with Brenspeed tune

Yesterday I drove through part of Skyline Drive here in Virginia and going up some of the hills with the 87 Brenspeed tune and it really makes me want to throw the damn device in the trash. If I don't have the car at 3000 RPMs or higher our 4 cylinder Escape has more power. Sounds like it's going to bog down and die. Has anybody changed the tune at low RPMs like raising (or lowering) timing to help the low RPMs get some power. At least to where up to 2-2.5 on the RPM gauge has stock tune power?
Old 05-25-2009, 03:35 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like you have an issue with the tune. If it doesnt happen on the stock tune then I would email brenspeed and let them know whats going on. They will probably re-write it and send you a new one back.

What elevation are you at? When you are higher elevation the tune might just not be that great and it would run too rich.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:48 PM
gnrpatience
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustangmaster
Yesterday I drove through part of Skyline Drive here in Virginia and going up some of the hills with the 87 Brenspeed tune and it really makes me want to throw the damn device in the trash. If I don't have the car at 3000 RPMs or higher our 4 cylinder Escape has more power. Sounds like it's going to bog down and die. Has anybody changed the tune at low RPMs like raising (or lowering) timing to help the low RPMs get some power. At least to where up to 2-2.5 on the RPM gauge has stock tune power?

Hi,
I had this issue, brenspeed kept writing tunes for me and i see difference, my problem is that im form Mexico city and cant take my car with them to have the best tune for my car.

But yes you will will that at 3000RPMs
Old 05-25-2009, 04:13 PM
Rskapof
2nd Gear Member

I have this issue to, it is night and day with power below and above 3000 RPM. I bet if you could look at a dyno curve of my car it would have a positive spike at 3000 rpm. When accelerating i feel a pretty good kick at 3 grand.

Is this because Brenspeed did a really good job above 3 grand in the power band, or a bad job below 3 grand in the power band?

Can this be corrected?
Old 05-25-2009, 04:14 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by avengence
Sounds like you have an issue with the tune. If it doesnt happen on the stock tune then I would email brenspeed and let them know whats going on. They will probably re-write it and send you a new one back.

What elevation are you at? When you are higher elevation the tune might just not be that great and it would run too rich.
I don't know what elevation I was at when it was doing it the worst. Somewhere between 1000 and 2500 feet above sea level.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:06 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I agree the Brenspeed tune is crap below 3K rpms. Of course, they can do something about it if you ask them too. To me, the Brenspeed tune (no matter which octane) felt worse than stock by a lot below 3K.

The Bamachip tunes are nothing like that. Below 3K they're very strong and stay strong all the way to red line.

I prefer my tune to have a more consistent power profile that feels strong everywhere. Bamachip tunes are like that and there's another place that does email tunes that are supposedly the same way, but I forget their name. The Brenspeed tunes as-is are very inconsistent.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Rskapof
2nd Gear Member

Would having the car tuned on a dyno rival any email tune? I would think, but would the benefits be that great?
Old 05-25-2009, 08:16 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

Rskapof,

after driving up hills in the mountains yesterday Brenspeed for sure has not done a good job below 3000 rpms. I have driven these mountains before with stock tune and it was much better. Can it be corrected? That is my original question. Tomorrow I will have some time and will try messing with the tune some. If anybody knows which setting will help with the tuner let us know.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:20 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Try a Bama torq or race tune....you will fall in love with the car again
Old 05-25-2009, 08:56 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

howartmat, I bought the Brenspeed tune because that is what people here said about that. I admit it has more power after 3000 RPMs but dog powerless below that. I'm not going to put any more money into a tune. I'm either going to get this tune running better or go back to stock. I bought it hoping the car would run better/smoother/stronger than stock and get better gas mileage. None of that has happened except more power after 3000 RPMs. And it's not that impressive after 3000.

Quick Reply: Getting power in low RPMs with Brenspeed tune