Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why a Saleen s/c over a GT500?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 08:24 PM
cummins cowboy
2nd Gear Member

I don't like cars with body kits, I like the clean stock look on just about any car, to me the GT 500 looks better.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:58 PM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cummins cowboy
I don't like cars with body kits, I like the clean stock look on just about any car, to me the GT 500 looks better.
Saleen was a car manufacturer...so they don't have body kits. They are just Saleen S281s.

If you were to own a Saleen your insurance card would read Saleen S281 not Ford Mustang.

So you don't like the Saleen stock vs the GT500.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:11 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cummins cowboy
Why isnt Saleen considered stock? Ford sends their cars to them to work their magic, runs it through a dealer to sell them, which is the only place you can get a real brand new Saleen. I would consider that a stock car. I like to think of my car as a "stock" car
Old 05-27-2009, 10:50 PM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ChiDiddy
I like to think of my car as a "stock" car
I would agree with you 100%.

Does your insurance card say Ford Mustang? Or Saleen S281?

Depending on where the car was assembled it can vary. I was curious as my friend's insurance card says "Saleen"

Saleen is much like RUF. A RUF starts out as a Porsche but since RUF is a "Manufacturer" when they are done with the car its no longer considered a Porsche...its now a "RUF" and the VIN reads as such. however you can purchase a 911 and bring it to RUF for them to convert it, but then the VIN still reads as a Porsche 911.

This is similar with Saleen in most cases.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:07 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

5.4L with forged internals vs. 4.6L without?

I know what I'd choose.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:18 PM
Cassie01GT
1st Gear Member

This isnt a GT500 is it? Because I can't seem to find this color in a GT500

Whats the name of this color btw?

Old 05-27-2009, 11:22 PM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by thedrod
Saleen was a car manufacturer...so they don't have body kits. They are just Saleen S281s.

If you were to own a Saleen your insurance card would read Saleen S281 not Ford Mustang.

So you don't like the Saleen stock vs the GT500.
Didn't they start off as a stock Mustang GT, sent from Ford to Saleen, where they were modded with body kits, suspension, S/C, etc. (depending on the model) then serial numbered by Saleen?
Old 05-28-2009, 12:00 AM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cassie01GT
This isnt a GT500 is it? Because I can't seem to find this color in a GT500

Whats the name of this color btw?

no thats a forum members awesome mustang GT, and if im not mistaken thats tungsten gray metallic.

Havent checked my insurance to see if they call it a Saleen or mustang.

Black GT, yes thats pretty much how it goes. Im just saying i consider it stock because all ford dealers sell it directly as they receive it, its not a dealer made up special edition car, but a car that most people "think" are super fast "from the factory"
Old 05-28-2009, 12:19 AM
05Saleensc281

As a Saleen owner I would say no other 05 up mustang looks better and I would never sell mine. With that said, I would never buy another one again either. If you want better performance in a straight line or on the turns, go with the GT500 with a pulley intake and tune. No, the Saleen doesn't handle better, I know cause I've had mine for 4 years. The rubber bands on the 20" wheels don't corner and their suspension is mediocre at best. Save yourself a lot of time and frustration and go with the GT500. You don't want to deal with Saleen on warranty work! Saleen certified car dealers do not give you a rental car while the car is being repaired. You are required to pay out of pocket for your rental and wait two months for Saleen to reimburse you. The engine has held up with the 512rwhp for the past 3 years but it is the saleen items that have had to be fixed. Supercharger replaced, HIDs ballast out, body panels falling off, gears they put in not shimmed right, headrest warped, decals peeling, brake recall, suspension recalls. This is one of 12 mustangs that I have owned in the last ten years including 03 cobras and a cobra r. GO WITH THE GT500
Old 05-28-2009, 08:18 AM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Black GT
Didn't they start off as a stock Mustang GT, sent from Ford to Saleen, where they were modded with body kits, suspension, S/C, etc. (depending on the model) then serial numbered by Saleen?
Yes...but there is some other type of legal business that goes on that I know nothing about...so technically its a modded mustang, but they are not sold as a Mustang.

Quick Reply: Why a Saleen s/c over a GT500?