Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions needed, coupe vs conv

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 10:19 AM
gdear66
2nd Gear Member

Default Opinions needed, coupe vs conv

I will be purchasing a 2010 GT 500 in a couple of months. I am trying to decide between convertible and coupe. The conv is about 150 lbs heavier and I live in East Texas so its hot quite a bit, which combined with the black leather is leaning me to the coupe. However, you can't deny the fun factor of a convertible. I would appreciate any input or opinions from owners.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:32 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Well your right Verts are fun but they can be much more of a pain too. They are more noisey than a coupe, limit your trunk space, leak more (air & water over time) and have more moving parts that can break down. But the cool factor is high for sure, so it all up to what you want to get out of the car and what your long range plans are.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:14 AM
ztalon
2nd Gear Member

Convertible fans will call this a no-brainer, but it depends on how much you like that real open air driving.

It is a very cool experience and those that have tried it often become big fans.

I think the GT 500 just looks fabulous with the hard top.

I am not a convertible person. I like the open air effect (sunroof or T-Tops), but don't like the complete lack of privacy when driving with the top down.

I don't know if water leaks are a problem these days, but that would concern me. The noise factor can be diminished by a good stereo, but the water problem could be aggravating.

Considering the dust and pollen in my neck of the woods, I'd think that would lead to a lot of interior cleaning too. More dust, pollen, tree sap, spiders, etc. Just one of the side effects of opening up the car to the elements.

I like the lines of the coupe a lot more than that of a convertible with the top up. Of course, once the top is down, the convertible sure does go up in visual impact.

If this is your first convertible, then it would be a rather expensive foray into convertibles, but considering the car you're buying, you could probably find some takers in the future if you decide that the convertible isn't right for you.

Another factor is how much you'll think you'll have the top down in that heat. I see a lot of people driving around on hot days with their convertible tops up and the AC on.

But, the effect with the top down might be so great, that you'll live with the smaller percentage of true open air cruising days. I don't take my T-Tops out all the time, but I do a LOT....even on those days when a lot of convertibles are driving around as coupes.

I guess the bottom line is that the convertible will need more care and have more potential problems, but for those who crave the open air experience, these are certainly not deal-breakers
Old 05-28-2009, 12:40 PM
gdear66
2nd Gear Member

I had an eclipse convertible several years ago in San Antonio and loved it. The car was certainly more quiet than the Shelby will be though. I also now have children and I don't know how they will respond to the open air.

I didn't think about the insect issue, thanks! We have a ton here with all the forests.

Looks like I am heading for another coupe. I'll use that money for the shaker 1000 audio upgrade!
Old 05-28-2009, 12:41 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Nothing like driving with the top down on hot summer nights.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:57 PM
ztalon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by gdear66
Looks like I am heading for another coupe. I'll use that money for the shaker 1000 audio upgrade!
You can't go wrong either way. Lots of envious people around here will attest to that.

What year Eclipse did you have?

Funny thing about spiders. A few weeks ago, I got into my Eclipse GT and there were webs all over the place inside. I was cleaning them out of my way when I noticed this fairly good sized spider just sitting in the middle of one of the back seats. I quickly nailed him and continued de-webbing the car. The buggers can get into any car, but would probably find convertibles more accessible.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:04 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

I will be purchasing a 2010 GT 500 in a couple of months. I am trying to decide between convertible and coupe. The conv is about 150 lbs heavier and I live in East Texas so its hot quite a bit, which combined with the black leather is leaning me to the coupe. However, you can't deny the fun factor of a convertible. I would appreciate any input or opinions from owners.
I was in the same predicament in my decision. But I had already owned a '98 GT Conv and lived in Florida with it. In summer with top down it's miserable at red lights....it rains here in summer every day and the hot weather last a long part of the year. SO I opted for no convertible. THought about the Glassback roof as well but I still believe your gonna get some greenhouse affect from that roof regardless. So..I am Coupe hardtop when the new one comes in
Old 05-28-2009, 02:24 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

I had an eclipse convertible several years ago in San Antonio and loved it. The car was certainly more quiet than the Shelby will be though. I also now have children and I don't know how they will respond to the open air.

I didn't think about the insect issue, thanks! We have a ton here with all the forests.

With the Shaler 1000 U lose the SYNC and I personally did not think it was worth that
Old 05-28-2009, 02:30 PM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

As a current ragtop owner, I do thoroughly enjoy mine (this is my first one BTW) and have no regrets about going this route. But this car was replacing a Harley that I totalled a few years prior and I really wanted the best of both worlds (along with having no desire to ever ride again)... performance car along with the open air feeling I really enjoyed on the bike. Mission accomplished!!

Now there are some pros/cons including the local weather. Since I live in WI, our summers are perfect for convertibles as it really only gets "hot" (meaning well into the 90's) maybe a week or 2 a season. If I lived in a warmer and or more humid climate, not sure the top would be down much in the summer. On the other hand, I would never have this car for a DD up here either.

Thus far, no top related issues like leaks and the sound level with the cloth top is very minimal... even with GTAs installed. But if I were to get a GT500, I would more likely stick with the coupe as the price is just too high for the ragtops and I would want to mod up that motor to its true potential. And the restrictions placed on verts at the track would really limit the non-street fun of having all that power. Unless of course you plan to install a cage.

Good luck with your decision as you can't go wrong

Last edited by Doogie65; 05-28-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:04 PM
gdear66
2nd Gear Member

I had a 96 eclipse. Fun car to drive. I traded it in for a WRX. After that I bought my 02 GT.

I didn't know you would lose sync with the audio upgrade, that sux. I am definitely getting the nav system. I've got an 09 F150 and absolutely love this with the sync!

Quick Reply: Opinions needed, coupe vs conv