Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 05:40 AM
Topless06
2nd Gear Member

Default Motor mounts

Does anyone run any after market ones? I was looking at these http://www.brenspeed.com/6505.html and figured they were not that bad. Has anyone tried these? Like them or hate them? What do you recomend?
Thanks.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:23 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

I had the Steeda HD Motor Mounts installed when I installed my shorty headers. I love mine. It definitely makes the front of the car feel more solid. You do get more engine vibration at start up and idle, but it is minimal. Shifting is also improved.

I would get headers, shorties or long tubes, when doing the motor mount install. The labor is about the same with or without installing headers.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:35 AM
Vectorpat
2nd Gear Member

I have the Steedas also. When I first put them on i felt alot of vibration at idle and start up but since then i guess they have either softened up some or my bama tune smoothed out the idle more. They will make it feel like a completely different car, it gives it more of a solid feel. I like them
Old 06-24-2009, 09:23 AM
MadMike1337
2nd Gear Member

i have the prothanes that your looking at. the dramatically improved the shifting. the gear box is always where you left it. goes into gear like butter since the mounts keep the driveline firm. +1 the front end stiffened up nicely aswell. the car feels slightly faster more torquey since your able to get more power on the ground from correcting the dirveline slope associated with the stock mounts.

i think you should def get them you wont be disappointed. as far as the noise and vibration. i can only describe it as making the car feel wicked lol. my car already made noises and vibrated from my headers and the rest of the exhaust so i didnt notice anything except for a distinct rumble.

if you do decide to get them, youll notice the stock ones are garbage when you take them out. i mainly bought the prothane to correct a clearnece issue with the JBA shorties.

hope this helps
Old 06-24-2009, 09:34 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I also have the Steeda HD mounts and used the black (higher durometer) bushings. They also shipped with a softer (red) bushing. And yes, the stock hydra mounts are crap IMO. Highly recommended upgrade!
Old 06-24-2009, 10:28 AM
Topless06
2nd Gear Member

Sounds good... Thanks for all the info. Is it a big deal if i do these without doing the headers? Im not sure i want to go down that road yet. Or should i wait till i make up my mind to get the headers and do both? Thanks
Old 06-24-2009, 11:42 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Sure, you can do the motor mounts without doing headers. But you could save some labor costs by doing both together.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:56 AM
OhioState87
2nd Gear Member

For those of you who have had it done, how much was it to get the longtubes and motor mounts installed? I'm looking to get those done and I'm definitely doing them at the same time, so I'm just curious on costs.

Topless06, since you're not TOO FAR away from me, where do you get your stuff done? You have any performance shops around you?
Old 06-24-2009, 12:21 PM
Topless06
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by OhioState87
Topless06, since you're not TOO FAR away from me, where do you get your stuff done? You have any performance shops around you?
I have done everything with the help of my friends as of now. But some of the things im thinking of doing i wont be able to do like the headers and motor mount. I only know of one place close (10-15mins) in Warrn, OH called Sir Wrench Preformance. They have a lead guy who worked for Ford for a while. There is one an hour west of me called Big Shot Dyno. They are very good. Not sure how far you are from me. Hope this helps!
Old 06-24-2009, 01:02 PM
OhioState87
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Topless06
I have done everything with the help of my friends as of now. But some of the things im thinking of doing i wont be able to do like the headers and motor mount. I only know of one place close (10-15mins) in Warrn, OH called Sir Wrench Preformance. They have a lead guy who worked for Ford for a while. There is one an hour west of me called Big Shot Dyno. They are very good. Not sure how far you are from me. Hope this helps!
Sir Wrench Performance looks pretty good, thanks for that! According to Google Maps, you're 82.4 miles/1 hour 34 mins from me directly south, lol. Looks like Warren is directly north of you, so that is even further from me, lol.

Anyways, I have plans to do long tubes/H-pipe + motor mounts, so I'm just trying to find shops so I can find the best deal. I'll definitely keep them in mind. I also found a shop right outside of Pittsburgh that looks to be really good. They're called Wolfpack Speed. They're only 52 miles from me, but it's a quick drive. Looks like it'd be ~60 miles for you.

Quick Reply: Motor mounts