Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bama Race Tune Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 06:23 PM
pitch
2nd Gear Member

Default Bama Race Tune Questions?

I did several searches but didn't find the answer I was looking for so I could use some help.
I see several on here with the Bama Race Tune in their sig. Are you using it as a daily driver or only when you go to the strip or track? I read on the Bama website where he says the race tune is not good for a daily driver.
And if you've run both the 93 race tune and performance tune what are the differences?

I recently bought the SCT X3 and tunes from Brenspeed. I got the 87, 89 and 93 tunes. I will probably never use the 89 so I'm thinking of getting the Bama race tune or his 93 performance tune to compare.

Thanks for the help!!!!!
Old 06-25-2009, 06:50 PM
Flyingpants
2nd Gear Member

Yup, I use the 91 Race Tune every day. I love the way the car feels compared to the stock tune. Definitely not so crazy that you can't have a daily driver with the race tune. One weird thing though is that the car will not hold an RPM for nothin'. If you depress the gas pedal just the slightest bit while in neutral the RPM's will just keep climbing, without any change in pedal position. So I don't think it would be a very good tune for the strip. Although I read about a lot of people getting good E.T's with th TQ tune from Bama.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:52 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I usually use the Race tune as my DD tune. Right now I'm not though. I'm using the Torque tune. But the Race tune feels awesome b/c the throttle sensitivity is touchy as a ****. That's why Doug does not recommend it as a DD b/c it's so easy to peel out with that tune which could cause you to accelerate faster than you expect and hit someone or get a ticket from the "po po" for peeling out.

I don't now what the Perf tune is like since I never ordered one. I just have the Race and Torque. Both feel the same other than the extra touchy-ness of the Race.

Good tunes.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:53 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Flyingpants
One weird thing though is that the car will not hold an RPM for nothin'. If you depress the gas pedal just the slightest bit while in neutral the RPM's will just keep climbing, without any change in pedal position.

That sounds very odd. I don't remember anything like that happening with me. I do have an auto though. I'll re-load my Race tune and see if I can dup that. Doesn't sound like that's right though.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:06 PM
Flyingpants
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
That sounds very odd. I don't remember anything like that happening with me. I do have an auto though. I'll re-load my Race tune and see if I can dup that. Doesn't sound like that's right though.
Yeah it's always done that and I didn't think to mention it to Doug because I have read somewhere some other people experiencing the same thing. Also it doesn't effect driveability at all. I can hold a steady speed on the street and freeway. Only while not in gear.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:29 PM
Mustangs4U
3rd Gear Member

Man, that sounds awesome. I am definitely getting a tuner from Bama for my auto hopefully by next month. If not, for sure when i get back from my little TDY that I have coming up.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:38 PM
antonio1988
4th Gear Member

my car is auto and I have the Bama Race tune for DD... best $50 I ever spent
Old 06-26-2009, 01:14 AM
302me
2nd Gear Member

Not to get too off topic. I've been itching to try a tune from Bama, but I don't have a cord to download the tune from the computer to my tuner. where can I get one, if any one knows?
Old 06-26-2009, 05:45 AM
gman73
5th Gear Member

I go back and forth between the tq and race tune. The race tune is fine as a d/d. At the track I was getting better times with the tq tune. I was running street tires and according to Matt over at Bamachips, the race tune would probably be faster of the two if the car had drag radials or slicks.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:28 AM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 302me
Not to get too off topic. I've been itching to try a tune from Bama, but I don't have a cord to download the tune from the computer to my tuner. where can I get one, if any one knows?
It's just a standard USB cable, go to best buy and ask for a USB printer cable, it's the same. You could probably get one at walgreens nowadays, wal-mart for sure

Quick Reply: Bama Race Tune Questions?