Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Ordered my first Mustang, questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 01:51 PM
jocatch
2nd Gear Member

Well, I got another challenge today...besides the stripes being changed, I was told that the Accessary Package 4, the hood scoop and rear spoiler, is in short supply because of parts shortage. So my order may be delayed because of it. 8-(

BTW, I assume the hood scoop is for looks only, right? After all, wilth the cold air induction, the engine air comes from the grill area I assume.

Joe

P.S. The 3.73 axle comes with better brakes I was told. Just how much better are the improved brakes of the non-3.73 axle?
Old 07-22-2009, 04:06 PM
nascarnate326

Originally Posted by jocatch
Well, I got another challenge today...besides the stripes being changed, I was told that the Accessary Package 4, the hood scoop and rear spoiler, is in short supply because of parts shortage. So my order may be delayed because of it. 8-(

BTW, I assume the hood scoop is for looks only, right? After all, wilth the cold air induction, the engine air comes from the grill area I assume.

Joe

P.S. The 3.73 axle comes with better brakes I was told. Just how much better are the improved brakes of the non-3.73 axle?
I would watch some of the videos from edmunds insideline, motortrend, etc on the 2010 mustang. Many use the GT with Track Pack but it applies to your car as well in some area.

Your new car will stop plenty fast. It is a Mustang GT afterall
Old 07-22-2009, 06:35 PM
jocatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ColoGreyStang10
The new GT strip is really ugly, I would back out on that. ASAP. It doesn't look like what you see on the web site.

::edit found pict of stripe::

Take that $395 and get the Rapid Spec 401-A Primier Trim Package....Very Sweet worth getting.
I got the order # for the stripe I want, # 852. If Ford rejects the order and changes the # to something else, then I'll know for sure there is a difference. The dealer told me I could order the car without stripes and the dealer would stripe the car for about $500. I could also go for the side and hood stripe option that Ford offers too. I am still thinking about all of this.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:06 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

I got the order # for the stripe I want, # 852. If Ford rejects the order and changes the # to something else, then I'll know for sure there is a difference. The dealer told me I could order the car without stripes and the dealer would stripe the car for about $500. I could also go for the side and hood stripe option that Ford offers too. I am still thinking about all of this.
Personally....because I am also in the market for stripes... I would NOT get anything the factory has to offer for stripes. The after-market community has so many better kits of different styles. I want a set of GT500 stripes with following pin-stripe or the Super-Snake stripe............................................ ...............
Old 07-23-2009, 08:47 AM
jtstakelin
2nd Gear Member

Go stripeless. You will be much happier. My car had side stripes but I had them removed, it looks a lot cleaner. As far as what you bought the car for, that's not bad. I got my 09 sixer for 300 over plus rebates. If you want to see a performance increase on 93 pump gas, get a good tuner and tune the car. Or else you're just wasting your money with putting more expensive gas in your car.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:31 AM
kinoman2002
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jtstakelin
If you want to see a performance increase on 93 pump gas, get a good tuner and tune the car. Or else you're just wasting your money with putting more expensive gas in your car.
I believe we are talkig about '10 so using premium gas is not a complete waste of money. The premium adds torque due to the automatic calibration. I didn't try it yet but that's what they say.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:01 AM
jocatch
2nd Gear Member

In the old days if you bought a new car and put super gas in it, the car computer would setup and adjust the engine for it during the breakin period and then after if you put in regular gas, the engine wouldn't right. I was told this for Chevys. I assume the 2010 Mustang isn't like this and tailors the computer each time you fill up the tank.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:59 PM
thunderhorse
3rd Gear Member

I just ordered my first Mustang, a GT Prem, black with white strips, hood scoop, rear pedistal spoiler, 3.73 axle package, 5 speed manual, and stock wires/tires. Dealer says it will take 4- 8 weeks to get. I have always been a Chevy person, I even have my original 1978 Z28 Camaro I bought new. But I do not like the new Camaros and I love the looks of the current Mustangs. Plus they sound great. I am getting the car for $500 over invoice. Alas, I have a ton of questions I am hoping someone can answer:

1. Did I order a good setup? I don't want to race it at the track, I just want a good street machine to go up and down the highway.
2. Is $500 over invoice a good deal in today's market?
3. How is the car in the rain and snow? We get a few snow storms here a year in NY.
4. Is the Track Pack worth it for non-track use? What about the summer only tires that come with it?
5. Any reliability issues with the 2010?
6. Any differnce you can feel between regular and super unleaded gas?
7. Is the 3.73 axle posi?
8. Any other things to look for especially before the car is built and can be changed?

THanks.

Joe C
1. Yes, you have a nice balance of performance and comfort on your GT. 3.73s will serve you well everywhere.. both street and highway.

2. Yes, $500 over invoice is pretty damn good... unless you mean $500 over MSRP. Quite frankly, for a performance car you pay what you pay, it's all about the fun you have after you drive it off the lot.

3. Mustang GTs are fine in the rain, no problems whatsoever (unless you have drag radials on there). My Mustang GT was originally my brothers... he kept it stock and drove it in the winter up here in Buffalo, NY. He never got stuck, but you NEED to put winter tires for winter driving. Also, just the basic equation of RWD and a big snowfall on unplowed streets doesn't work. If they plow, you're fine.. and light snow you'll be fine.. just make sure you get winter tires.

4. The track pack is a great performance option. I don't get out to the track much at all but I'd buy the track pack hands down if I was gonna go for a 2010 GT. It's more the name than anything else... it's just a good drivable package.

5. The engine has been tested and true.. it's a good setup and a good car. It was made to be driven like you stole it. No reliability issues so far.

6. In my car I always feel the difference between 93 and 87 octane when pushing it. In fact, I bought a tuner to tune my car to accept 93 only.. nice performance enhancement there.

7. Yes I believe so.

8. Not that I know of.. it sounds like a great purchase and I bet you'll have a lotta fun! Ford Racing offers tons of performance upgrades that'll still keep your warranty in check if you ever want to make it faster. Those 2010's are still pretty quick right from the factory... great cars. Enjoy it and welcome to the Mustang world!
Old 07-23-2009, 03:04 PM
thunderhorse
3rd Gear Member

In the old days if you bought a new car and put super gas in it, the car computer would setup and adjust the engine for it during the breakin period and then after if you put in regular gas, the engine wouldn't right. I was told this for Chevys. I assume the 2010 Mustang isn't like this and tailors the computer each time you fill up the tank.
In stock and modified form (before tuning it), when flooring the car, I would still feel a difference. Plus, 93 octane gas has better additives that don't gunk up your fuel lines like 87 will.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:22 PM
fast64ranchero
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ColoGreyStang10
The new GT strip is really ugly, I would back out on that. ASAP. It doesn't look like what you see on the web site.

::edit found pict of stripe::

Take that $395 and get the Rapid Spec 401-A Primier Trim Package....Very Sweet worth getting.
When did the stripe change? mine has been shipped and I thought I was getting the stripe Ford had on there web site, if mine comes with that stripe, it's coming off in a hurry, what a waste of $395

Last edited by fast64ranchero; 07-23-2009 at 04:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Just Ordered my first Mustang, questions...