Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to upgrade the stock HID headlights???

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 10:03 PM
Diegs14

Default Is it possible to upgrade the stock HID headlights???

A while back, I upgraded/converted my stock halogen fog lights to the 4300K HID lights from StangMod.com. I was very satisfied with them and thought it was time to upgrade my main headlights, as well. Well, my stock headlights already have HID lights, but I was hoping to make them 'brighter', so I decided to purchase the "Dual Beam HID Headlight Conversion Kit for the 05-09 Mustangs". I am aware that this is a conversion kit and that my headlights are already HID, but I was hoping that it would work. It didn't, so I was wondering if anyone knew of a different way and/or product that might be useful. Any assistance and/or comments will be highly helpful. Thanks everyone.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:44 AM
odel
1st Gear Member

I had the stangmods headlights for a while but I did not like kit: the light pattern was rather unfocused and the high beams were not really different than the low beam. When one of the ballast gave up nearly 3 months after install, i gave them up and switched to the FORD HID. They are rather pricey since you are actually buying the whole headlight assembly, but they are real HID, giving you clear low/high beams. Here is the link:
http://www.steeda.com/products/ford_...pgrade_kit.php. They are definitely better than the stock headlights, but I am not sure they are worth the hefty price.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:05 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Odel...It appears to me that Diegs already has the Ford HID in his 08 stang, but he wants them brighter...not sure what the answer is.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:19 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Here is the answer
Old 07-25-2009, 06:17 PM
flobeelicious

Originally Posted by odel
They are definitely better than the stock headlights, but I am not sure they are worth the hefty price.
I have the ford factory HIDs in mine. i have to say i'm a bit disappointed in the low beams they have, as the pattern seems a bit blotchy, especially in the middle of the car. I find myself using the fogs too all the time, just to even out the light. Overall, i was much more impressed with the lights on my friend's 02ish focus mach edition. that said, the high beams are freaking awesome.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:49 PM
Retrosolutions
Former Sponsor

You can upgrade to 55w HID, but it won't exactly be a drop in conversion.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:41 PM
Diegs14

Originally Posted by odel
I had the stangmods headlights for a while but I did not like kit: the light pattern was rather unfocused and the high beams were not really different than the low beam. When one of the ballast gave up nearly 3 months after install, i gave them up and switched to the FORD HID. They are rather pricey since you are actually buying the whole headlight assembly, but they are real HID, giving you clear low/high beams. Here is the link:
http://www.steeda.com/products/ford_...pgrade_kit.php. They are definitely better than the stock headlights, but I am not sure they are worth the hefty price.
Like TPony said, I already have the stock HID lights in my 'stang. I just want them brighter. .. Thanks for the help, though. It's highly appreciated.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:43 PM
Diegs14

Originally Posted by flobeelicious
I have the ford factory HIDs in mine. i have to say i'm a bit disappointed in the low beams they have, as the pattern seems a bit blotchy, especially in the middle of the car. I find myself using the fogs too all the time, just to even out the light. Overall, i was much more impressed with the lights on my friend's 02ish focus mach edition. that said, the high beams are freaking awesome.
I highly agree with you Flobeelicious! .. Have you had any luck switching them out, or you did you just decide to stick with 'em?
Old 07-28-2009, 11:47 PM
Diegs14

Originally Posted by 157db
Thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate it.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:25 AM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

My only question is should you even be driving at night, are you night blind or what.
I have no problem with the stock halogen, I can not imagine needing more lumens.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to upgrade the stock HID headlights???