Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Steering Wheel Shake

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 06:23 AM
j0nx
2nd Gear Member

I have a 2010 V6 vert with the 18" polished wheels/nero combo and I have the shakes as well. I took it in for service last friday and they balanced the tires which did nothing unfortunately. It's not a terrible shake but was enough for me to notice it and have it looked at before I even found this thread. The car sat for a long time on the dealer's lot though and I am going to ask the dealer I am working with for the repair (not the same one I purchased from) to swap the tires for me. I was supposed to bring it back today but after finding this thread I am going to call my dealer and email him this thread before I go. No sense in me wasting my time there if they aren't going to be able to fix the problem. I love this car though and other than this annoyance it is perfect. It only has 400 miles on it so far. I traded in a 2007 vert for it which ran great and had no tire/wheel smoothness issues at all. I am seeing that the 2010 gets MUCH worse gas mileage though which has me concerned. I am averaging 18.5 mpg where my 2007 averaged 23.4 mpg. What's up with that?

Last edited by j0nx; 10-28-2009 at 06:26 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:44 PM
oldshakey

Default Happy Halloween

The saga continues. My recent contact with the local Consumer Rights law office was not with the attorney himself. I'm saving that for later if necessary. I just received a set of 18" Ford Racing Wheels. Yesterday I ordered a set of Michelins to go with them and hope to have them on the car shortly. I'll report the outcome ASAP.

Certainly seems strange that Corporate doesn't want to get involved. The problem obviously exists. Maybe they don't want to unleash a monster. Inklings of a civil action seem to be dancing around.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:22 PM
Flyingpants
2nd Gear Member

Subscribing....My 2008 has shaken since the day I bought it, F-that.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:24 PM
tenwatt

Default shake with aftermarket wheels

I have the shake in my 2010 but I'm not running factory wheels. I have 20" HD Signature wheels and Kumho tires on it. They are dealer installed and I also have the stock 18" polished aluminums that will be going on for winter.

I figured the shake was from the larger wheels hitting wheel ruts in bad pavement but apparently after reading this thread it's not. my car was a demo so it has about 1200 miles on it from the dealer. I have no idea if those miles were put on these tires or the factory tires.

I get the shake in the 40mph+ range. Upshifting/downshifting can make it dissapear and the type of road your on seems to make some difference. when you're holding the wheel with both hands you don't even really notice it. when you let go of the wheel you see that it wiggles like crazy.

so does my case mean it might not be wheel related?
Old 11-02-2009, 06:54 AM
j0nx
2nd Gear Member

Shakey please let me know ASAP if that fixed your issue. I have an appointment with the dealer that I bought the car from tomorrow to have it looked at. They know I am not happy and am frustrated that the dealer by my house is calling it normal and says there is nothing they can do. Did ford buy those wheels and tires for you or did you buy them yourself? I would be willing to go that route myself if I KNEW it would fix the problem but I certainly don't want to shell out a grand+ for wheels and tires if it won't fix the issue. I'm thinking it could be rotors or suspension too. Also how did that meeting with the law office go? Can they make ford fix a problem like this or will they only take on strictly mechanical/safety issues? I have the contact number for a lemon law lawyer here in my area that I plan on contacting if my purchasing dealer tells me they don't see any problem. My 2007 ran smooth as butter at speed. I expect that the 2010 perform as good or better for the money that I paid for it.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:04 PM
oldshakey

Ford is NOT paying one red cent for the wheels and tires! All should be up and running mid-month. Who's kidding who? Ford can fix this problem if they choose to do so. Henry's probably rolling over in his grave.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:44 AM
j0nx
2nd Gear Member

Well what did the lawyer say? My car is in the shop now for the third time but my hopes are slim that this dealer will see anything wrong either. No way I am spending 6 or 7 bills on tires if that isn't what's wrong.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:54 PM
oldshakey

As my 10/31 post stated, I have not spoken directly to my lawyer yet. I will certainly do so if my current game play does not bear fruit. I hope your current shop visit helps. I have made ten trips to three different shops since 5/18 with no luck at all. Once again, I'm cautiously optimistic that smaller wheels will be the cure for my car.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:56 PM
oldshakey

I wouldn't be one bit surprised if larger wheels only magnify the problem.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:46 PM
DjfunkmasterG
1st Gear Member

I have a 2010 V6, 4 months old with 5600 miles on it and have had the tires balanced 3 times and the alignment done twice. Nothing fixed the issue told the dealer I wanted new rims and tires or I would lemon law it.

Also recently developed a noise in the suspension when turning corners, almost sounds like bad strut plates, plus at 90 the drive shaft makes a horribel scrunching noise which the dealer won't touch because speed limit in area is only 65. Had to get the video cam out to record the problem and they still refused to fix that issue, took it to FMC regional who had them replace driveshaft and seals, issue solved, but tire and strut noise is really pissing me off

Quick Reply: 2010 Steering Wheel Shake