Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Mod: "Cold Air Supply"

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 01:40 AM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Ive been considering something similar for quite some time.
I planned on hooking up one of these and running it from right behind the lower grille INTO the stock airbox.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...003000_200-3-5

I dont expect to make any noticable power from this and i KNOW its not gonna be adding boost, but it should help feed fresh cool air in while sitting in traffic on a hot day.
I thought about running two hoses. One thats powered by the fan and one that would channel air while moving.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:22 PM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

That little 'boost' tube will probably become a restriction as rpm increases.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:39 PM
vasman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
Heh, I've had this same design in my head for a while now... just too lazy to implement. I was thinking about using silicone hose like this perhaps:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SA...E/?image=large
Check if this tubing can withstand the temps in the engine compartment. The airplane tubing seems to me the way to go although I must admit this looks a lot cooler (and costs less).
Old 09-10-2009, 08:48 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by vasman
Check if this tubing can withstand the temps in the engine compartment. The airplane tubing seems to me the way to go although I must admit this looks a lot cooler (and costs less).
Well, silicone tubing like that is used in turbo and S/C applications all the time. I would think it'll be fine...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SAM-TCS299BLUE/

Interesting idea on the fan shadow. I don't think anyone believes its a performance adder, but the one thing I've been wondering is if theres any "easy" thing to do like this that could reduce the intake temps by 10-20 degrees.

Edit -- You know, the more I look at that fan, the more the gears start to turn. You probably wouldnt even need to worry about air ramming into it directly. I suppose you could install it somewhere south of the radiator and behind the bumper, then run a 3" tube to the air intake area. Its 12V so you could even rig it up to a switch on the dash. IDK how much of a difference it would make, but I'd be curious to see. It would be a fun DIY project anyway. Heres a black one:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...13&marketID=16

Last edited by Mudflap; 09-10-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:13 AM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

Look in the bottom left of my bumper.. you can see the air filter there.. that is how I took care of cold air intake.. Works rather nice too.. Since the car never sees rain or snow, that is not an issue..

OK, I can't take credit, it was pure chance that the Street Scene bumper opening lined up with the Kenne Bell intake.. the factory setup would be covered in front so rain wouldn't be an issue, and who drives their mustang in the snow? (j/k I know some people use these as daily drivers). I DID go with KB because i liked the idea of getting the intake out of the engine compartment.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:32 AM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by socalwrench
That little 'boost' tube will probably become a restriction as rpm increases.
if i were to actually do it i would add a new hole to the air box. So you would have the same flow as stock + the constant supply from the blower. That way you will get fresh air in at idle/low RPM but still be able to get more air when you need it. If i can find some hose cheap i might try it out sometime since i have a spare blower from our boat sitting in the shop.

FYI incase anyone didnt know the blowers are designed to clear exhaust fumes from the engine bay of boats so i would assume they can take some heat.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:38 AM
clentonz
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
Well, silicone tubing like that is used in turbo and S/C applications all the time. I would think it'll be fine...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SAM-TCS299BLUE/

Interesting idea on the fan shadow. I don't think anyone believes its a performance adder, but the one thing I've been wondering is if theres any "easy" thing to do like this that could reduce the intake temps by 10-20 degrees.

Edit -- You know, the more I look at that fan, the more the gears start to turn. You probably wouldnt even need to worry about air ramming into it directly. I suppose you could install it somewhere south of the radiator and behind the bumper, then run a 3" tube to the air intake area. Its 12V so you could even rig it up to a switch on the dash. IDK how much of a difference it would make, but I'd be curious to see. It would be a fun DIY project anyway. Heres a black one:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...13&marketID=16

+1

vasman = Thinking Outside of the Box!! (which I wish more people would do....)

A lot of people here seem/act as if there is a fill in the blank "form"....

'to fix or improve whatever, you have to do this, this, or that....and thats it' (otherwise its a waste of money, time, etc etc). Imo, lack of originality.....

I think this is a very interesting mod that I now know about and can 'expand' on it all thanks to vasman's idea and this thread.....imo, I guess it comes with time(like the new edge guys), were people start poking/DIY'ing and turning 'little mods' like this into mods that become the, "you haven't done the air box mod yet?!?!?". I hope I'm making sense....

Either way, good job vasman...(and local hardware stores )
Old 09-11-2009, 02:26 AM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

I've been thinking about some way of getting colder air to my stock air box and I'm glad this thread was started. I was thinking of getting something like this...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPE-9751/?image=large

Maybe it will fit the stock air box opening and then route it below the bumper or just behind my mesh grill in the CS fascia opening.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:13 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

That needs to be ported into the bottom of the heat shield below the filter with another "modified" shower drain.
Kudos on trying something most wouldnt cus of the ghetto aspect...

Originally Posted by tx_zstang
FWIW, there's also a little 'flap' on the side of the radiator that can be removed to open up the space between the radiator and frame and let a lot of air in that way.
And loose a little of the cooling airflow THRU the radiator.
Kinda a give n take with that idea....

Last edited by 157dB; 09-11-2009 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:37 AM
vasman
3rd Gear Member

Smile

Originally Posted by 157db
That needs to be ported into the bottom of the heat shield below the filter with another "modified" shower drain.
Kudos on trying something most wouldnt cus of the ghetto aspect...

And loose a little of the cooling airflow THRU the radiator.
Kinda a give n take with that idea....
Thanks bro. I was thinking exactly that. By the time I am fully done it will not look anything like ghetto I promise. I love my car...(this is a working project not a finished one. Wanted to see if there would be any temperature measurable result and there is... now I am getting more appropriate piping to complete this properly.)

One more thing to point out. I see a 20 degree drop on temp inside my supercharger. The temp drop at the Intake would be more significant (the temp sensor is no longer at the maf sensor in my car. It is at the rear of the supercharger after the intercooler...)

Brenspped just pointed this out and actually are revising my tune as we speak...
(I bet a few more horses will show up with that tune).
(THANKS BRIAN!!!)

Last edited by vasman; 09-11-2009 at 11:42 AM.

Quick Reply: DIY Mod: "Cold Air Supply"