Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Mod: "Cold Air Supply"

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 12:57 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Good find on that ducting (lol I typed 'fucting' at first ) 2007, that might work pretty well. I plan to try this with the fan, as intake temperature is constantly a problem down here in TX with it being hotter than the sun.

Without going down to look at tube routes and come up with a plan... I think I'll get one of the 3" fans linked above. They are marine rated so getting wet shouldn't be a problem if its protected from direct rain (not that I drive the car in the rain anyway). I don't think it could really ingest enough water and propel it UP the tube to make any difference or be a worry. Besides if its on a dash switch, just don't run it in the rain. The fan looks like it has two "feet" with holes in them that can probably be ziptied in place somewhere. Then its just a matter of getting the tube to where it needs to be, which I know is a tight squeeze. I estimate if you bought the fan, some nice tubing, wire and a dash switch that all of this could be done for probably $60.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:14 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Heres an update, I went down to the local West Marine boat supply store (these things are all over the country I think) and found a 3" Bilge fan that should work. It was $29. I still need to find some hose which shouldn't be difficult, and then also some sort of switch I can mount in the car somewhere (temporarily at first, until I see if this thing has ANY effect ).

As of now the plan is to install it *somewhere* low and behind the bumper so its protected, and probably in a perpendicular orientation (so the wind isn't blasting into it). The idea would be to ziptie it to some sort of cross member or bumper component where its out of sight, and then clamp some sort of 3" hose to the output side of the fan and run the hose up to the air intake area. The motor is sealed and its certified for marine duty so it should hold up just fine. We'll see if this ends up adding some slightly cooler air into the engine bay... I guess it would be call 'assisted cold air intake'?

I should be able to tell with the AeroForce gauge ambient and intake temp readings whether this thing has any effect or not. Even if not, it still looks like a cheap, easy and fun DIY mod to mess around with.

Here are some pics of the fan:

Old 09-12-2009, 04:51 PM
whyask
3rd Gear Member

get one more of those ! Run an extra set of ducting to filter the HOT air out ! Or if your into autocross run that to the brakes to keep em extra cool! Love the ideas guys ! Keep em comming with updates and pics !
Old 09-12-2009, 06:48 PM
Casey4s
2nd Gear Member

You can get the 3" hose from the link earlier in this thread or AutoZone and Pep Boys sell spectre stuff, and of course there is eBay.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:40 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by whyask
get one more of those ! Run an extra set of ducting to filter the HOT air out ! Or if your into autocross run that to the brakes to keep em extra cool! Love the ideas guys ! Keep em comming with updates and pics !
Hehe, yeah I thought about that too. I'll see how well this one works first. I'll document the process when I do the install. At the earliest it would be next weekend, but really just depends on how hot it is. If I have to sweat my **** off the garage, it'll be no fun.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:37 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

your CAI is going to get real dirty now.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:05 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrSandman
your CAI is going to get real dirty now.
heh, yeah... I hope so. That would mean its actually getting air for once, lol. I drive 3000 miles a year. I'll buy a new filter for $10 if it comes down to it, but frankly I don't believe its going to add that much dirt to it. If the air is THAT dirty the filter is getting dirty anyway...
Old 09-13-2009, 10:50 AM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

OMG, that thing is going to be a restriction. Don't use it for the intake, it can't supply near enough CFM of air.

Now, for the brakes, that may be a good idea.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:57 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper05
I did something similar, only a little bit cleaner looking for a while for track use. I didn't really see any gain from it, although I have heard great stories for those who fully enclose the intake pipe so the only air being sucked in comes from the bumper...
That's the only way something like this would work.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:08 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by socalwrench
OMG, that thing is going to be a restriction. Don't use it for the intake, it can't supply near enough CFM of air.

Now, for the brakes, that may be a good idea.
Im not sure if he is thinking about doing it the same way i was, but i was going to splice it into the factory air box so all the air coming from it is added, not replacing the stock intake hole. I mainly wanted to do this to keep the intake air cool when sitting at idle on a hot summer day.

Quick Reply: DIY Mod: "Cold Air Supply"