Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the deal with TSBs, are repairs free?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 08:52 AM
Mike521
2nd Gear Member

Default What is the deal with TSBs, are repairs free?

Hi all, can anyone tell me the details on what exactly a TSB 'entitles' us to?

I brought my car to the dealership this week for the rattling noise around 2,500 RPM. I'd looked it up here and saw that there's a separator plate TSB on it (08-2-10). My car has 38k miles on it so I knew the bumper to bumper was out, but I still have the engine/powertrain warranty

Anyway I told them about the TSB when I dropped it off although I'm sure it meant nothing to them coming from me. Later they called and said it was indeed the separator plate and that it would run me $450 - $500. I told them about the TSB and they said that doesn't mean the repair is free, it just tells about a known issue. Then I mentioned the powertrain warranty and he said he didn't think it was covered but he would look it up. After a minute on hold he came back and said he was surprised to find out that it was covered. I would have been surprised if it wasn't!

Anyway so they're doing the job for free because of the warranty so everything is good, I'm just wondering about the TSB issue

thanks!
Old 09-29-2009, 08:55 AM
Chris07GT
5th Gear Member

If the TSB covers a part that is still under warranty AND that part is exhibiting the problem mentioned in the TSB, then the dealer will fix it for free. If you are out of warranty or your car doesn't have the problem mentioned in the TSB, your SOL!
Old 09-29-2009, 09:12 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Absolutely free if you're still under warranty. If not under warranty it's a free-for-all. Most dealers will argue with you but it all depends on IF and HOW HARD you push back. I've had Toyotas repaired for free under TSB's well beyond warranty. Ford (as well as most domestic) dealerships tend to be more "azzholish".
Old 09-29-2009, 09:16 AM
Mike521
2nd Gear Member

thanks!! I was pretty surprised when he quoted me a price, looks like I got lucky that it's still covered under powertrain warranty. Regardless, if they didn't fix it for free it really would have made me think twice about buying a ford again in the future, this has been a known issue for years and I've had it since day 1, as have many (most?) other owners of 04 - 08s
Old 09-29-2009, 09:38 AM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

How long is the powertrain warranty on an 07? Would the vibrating dust plate between the block and the tranny be covered under that?
Old 09-29-2009, 09:43 AM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

pennywise, that is the exact issue the OP is talking about. So, yes it's covered under the warranty. I think the '07s started coming with the 5/50,000 powertrain warranty, but I'm not sure. Check the stack of books you got with your car for the warranty manual.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:44 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Sheesh, this is good info. I just passed 30k and I think I have this issue. Looks like I'll be printing that TSB out and getting back to the dealership in the next few thousand miles.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:48 AM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

Lol, I was reading through a few posts and got them mixed up. Yeah thats my problem as well. ANNOYING! I'm at 68k miles so I hope the powertrain is longer than 50. I thought it was like 100k. I may have to run out to the parking garage and get ye ole manual.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:50 AM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

A quick google search says 5yr/60k miles on an '07. Crap.

But Mike's in luck!
Old 09-29-2009, 10:29 AM
Mike521
2nd Gear Member

yea I just finally said I was tired of the rattling and figured I'd bring it in -- I knew it about it for years but after reading about it here I thought it wasn't a big mechanical issue so I just ignored it.

In hindsight I wish I had just brought the car in much earlier, when it was under 36k, but the dealer is still doing the job free so I can't complain much

pennywise, maybe it's worth arguing with them over since you're only 8k miles over the limit? I bet if you know someone who has a friend that works at a dealership they'd be able to do you a favor.. But the TSB says this is a 3 hour job so I guess the dealers are less interested in working on it, not like it's a 10 minute fix

Quick Reply: What is the deal with TSBs, are repairs free?