Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header/Exhaust Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 07:17 PM
need4speed17n
1st Gear Member

Question Header/Exhaust Help

Hey guys,

I've been running borla axle-backs with a C&L CAI and tune from Brenspeed for some time now. I'm ready to bite the bullet and buy some long tube headers. I live in Florida so passing inspection is absolutely no problem (seems how we don't have any type of vehicle inspection )

Anyways, I know there are tons of header posts on here, but nothing very recent. So, I wanted everyone's input regarding what they think would be a good route to go.

My requirements are as follows:

-Definitely long tube
-either keep the stingers on or put the stock mufflers back on (if the stockers go back on, I will put dumps before the H pipe so I can give the guy in the Prius next to me a scare :-P )
-want an H-pipe, not X-pipe
-I want to try to limit the raspiness, and it can't be absolutely ridiculously loud as this is my DD... of course my definition of ridiculously loud is comparable to a Lear jet

Another question for you guys is how crucial is it to buy ceramic headers (being that I live in FL and the car will never see snow, etc)?

Any and all input is greatly appreciated, and if you know of a good deal please leeme know!!! Thanks in advance guys.

~Jamie
Old 10-15-2009, 09:37 PM
mynameismike65
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by need4speed17n
-(if the stockers go back on, I will put dumps before the H pipe so I can give the guy in the Prius next to me a scare :-P )
By dumps do you mean cutouts? dumps/cutouts are 2 different things Anyhow I would do Mac LT + o/r prochamber. The macs are more midlength, but I have not heard anything bad about that combo. Prochamber will keep it loud, but smooth it out just a bit.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:01 PM
kingsofcrunk
3rd Gear Member

I would go with MAC or BBK. I also suggest getting them ceramic coated. Mine aren't, and at times it feels like there is a fire going on under my hood. I have an off road H, with the blowmasters. It sounds ok. Kinda raspy at mid range RPM's but nontheless it sounds pretty dang good. I get lots of compliments, and it's pretty dang loud.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:47 AM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

go with mac they fit freakin awsome i love them, also i think the stingers will become raspy with the headers so i would go with a deff set of muffs
Old 10-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Don't sweat the axleback choice at this time. Get whatever LT's you chose installed and see how it sounds. Go from there. No sense planning on changes from the crossover on back until you hear what it sounds like after the LT's.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:23 PM
kpaulhus
4th Gear Member

Where in Fl are you located? I have installed 2 sets of headers, Mac and Boost Brothers, stay away from the Boost Brothers. Terrible product. Its one heck of an install, but I didnt want to spend $250+ for someone else to do it.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:26 PM
GA05GT
2nd Gear Member

Go with Kooks!!! and buy them through Maryland Speed they are a vendor on here. They offer 2000 degree coating (this is a must for warm climates), which is done in FL and offer 10% off header installs...

http://marylandspeed.com/pmfl-header-coatings-i-8.html

Good Luck!!!!

Last edited by GA05GT; 10-16-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:25 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Kooks or ARH.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:38 PM
need4speed17n
1st Gear Member

Cool

Originally Posted by kpaulhus
Where in Fl are you located? I have installed 2 sets of headers, Mac and Boost Brothers, stay away from the Boost Brothers. Terrible product. Its one heck of an install, but I didnt want to spend $250+ for someone else to do it.
I'm in Daytona Beach (well, more specifically Port Orange)

What will be the difference in sound between a high flow catted H vs off-road (besides the obvious "its louder")?

Also, between the MAC and the Kooks, which are easier to install/a nicer product (anyone have a reason for picking one over the other)? Do both require lifting the engine a little bit?

Thanks a lot guys!!
Old 10-16-2009, 10:01 PM
GA05GT
2nd Gear Member

I chose Kooks because of their reputation and the HP gains.
I installed the Kooks headers in my garage with hand tools, no fitment issues at all. In all instructions they recommend you to remove the motor mount bracket, it is a lot easier to install with the mounts and brackets removed.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Header/Exhaust Help