Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rearend problems 07 gt auto

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 11:50 AM
dgearlsr

Default rearend problems 07 gt auto

my car developed a whine on coast brought in for warranty the dealer had problems removing the pinion flange and ordered a new housing and replaced everthing in rearend still had noise needless to say the did it 3 times in 2 weeks i was told problem was fixed so picked it up on a friday after 5 pm i drove less than a mile and the noise was still there only louder called and left a message with service adsvisor. i went to dealer on saturday morning and told the service manager he said no way was it making noise he personally drove it so we went for a drive he heard the nosie between 50-60 mph on coast so they ordered another set of gears and bearings only for it to still be there was told they called ford engineering and that they would get back to me so in 3 weeks time 4 sets of gears were replaced and the car only has 20,000 miles on it and we dont beat on it either anyone else run into this problem??
Old 10-24-2009, 12:42 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Are these with stock gears? I know some have issues when going to taller gears (3.73, 4.10, etc...).
Old 10-24-2009, 01:20 PM
QtrMilePony
1st Gear Member

when I first got my car they had to replace the gears 2 times, didn't have any problems after that. My new 4.56 gears whine, but I have been told that they are going to.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:41 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

gear whine is 100% unacceptable.

a properly set up gearset will make zero noise.

For some reason, the 08/09 8.8 has had some problems I've been reading about. Nobody seems to know what the cause is.

since they have gone through 4 sets of ring & pinion, that makes me think something is wrong with the pumking and/or your axleshafts...or the install Technician is a retard.

I'd see about forcing them to replace your entire axle 100%. At this point, I think that cure is due
Old 10-24-2009, 08:58 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

has the car been lowered?

And mine used to whine loudly when I let off the gas so I took it in and they "fixed it", but then it whined when I was on the gas, just not as loudly!

Just keep taking it back until you are covered by the Lemon Law in your state, which is usually 30 days in the shop.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:48 PM
Wrenchman1

Just a thought, I have 3.73's in mine. When i got it it had a little whine. correct shimming Corrected pinion angle and Make shure they use Synthetic gear lube?
Old 10-25-2009, 11:20 AM
dgearlsr

they are factory gears and they used syn fluid the car is bone stock (wink) lol
as for the lemon law i purchased the car with 1 month left on the bumper to bumper warranty that ran out sept 16th 09 i bought it as a certified preowned they gave me an extra 3000 mi warranty and extended the powertrain out to 75000 what pisses me off is that had i brought it in sooner like last month i could have lemon lawed it they did fix my suspension though so am kinda happy they put new strut mounts in per the tsb
Old 10-27-2009, 07:23 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

I have the same exact problem! (Well, not exact, as in the problem was going to aftermarket gears) BUT... The first time, I went to a local shop. He swapped my stock 3.31's for a set of FRPP 3.73's. He didn't use the install kit, just a new set of gears, and some FRPP friction modifier, and some Royal Purple fluid. I was leery of him not using the install kit, and the gears were whining, between 60 to 40 mph, on coast. Not real bad, but annoying. He swore up and down, nothings wrong, just some S197's do this for some reason, its a crap shoot. Some cars do, some don't. (Yeah right). So, for a second install, I just went to a Ford dealer (SVT FRPP certified, etc) and they said the ring and pinion was bad, so I got a new ring and pinion, new pinion bearings, they said they correctly set the gear mesh pattern, backlash, preload, and pinion depth, and used a Ford housing spreader" special tool. Well, I had the same problem, only worse, it was louder than ever! I went back in 2 weeks, and they replaced the axle bearings, pinion bearings again, and an axle (they said the axle didn't look right). Well, same problem, they were at a loss as to what was wrong. They said drive around for awhile, it might go away! (Well it didn't) So, now I'm out $1,000 for the 3 installs, and I still have the problem. I've been told time and again, whine= bad install, no matter what!(Especially improper preload and pinion depth will cause coast whine). I have heard the way the axle housing was machined, that the pinion depth has to be accomodated for , who knows. Now, in 2 weeks, I'm going for a 4th and final time to get my gears done by a a nationally known, reputable shop. And while I'm at it, I think I'm going 4.10's and an LPW girdle! I was disgusted, but I have some hope. I wish I had all the extra cash I wasted getting it done three times, could've used that on other mods!

Last edited by JimsGT; 10-27-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:00 PM
dgearlsr

i can feel for you on the installs thankfully for me its all under warranty but were heading for a 5th install but i am pushing for a rear diff to be sent from the assembly line and installed i called the service writer today for an update he told me the ford rep in our area was on vaca last week and that he would be looking into this problem this week i told the dealer just fix it right thats all i want i was told to just drive it it wont fall apart but am nervous because i am leaving for vaca in 2 weeks i am driving 1800 miles they said dont worry it will be fine i said well if it was you would you drive 1800 miles? he said to me "sure" so we will see least i have roadside assistance lol why cant the ford dealers get these rears right?? its not like its rocket science i have done plenty of 8.8's in truck for yrs why would this be any different
Old 10-30-2009, 05:16 PM
flynonh2o

Default Rearend problem

I feel everybodys pain when it comes to the junk 3.55 gears Ford used in my 05 Mustang.
I am going on rearend number 9 !!!!! Ford just keeps putting the same defective parts back in hoping it will make it till the warranty is up. I bought the extended warranty so I have not had to pay for them. But this customer service is a joke. I understand why Honda and Toyota have the number one and two top sellers. Nine rearends and I just got it back today and I cant enjoy the car because the rear end sings louder than the Shaker 1000. Putting in bad parts just to get your customers junk out of warranty will put you out of business ALAN ARE YOU LISTINGING?

Last edited by flynonh2o; 11-02-2009 at 11:02 AM.

Quick Reply: rearend problems 07 gt auto