Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baby seat question

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 02:10 PM
jtstakelin
2nd Gear Member

Default Baby seat question

Everyone,
My wife and I are expecting! I have searched the board for some baby seat threads and I haven't had much luck finding one that has model numbers or actual brands. I have an S197 car so I have LATCH and all that good stuff. Any suggestions?
Old 10-28-2009, 02:20 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

Any basic baby seat will do. Remember, it will have to be installed facing the rear of the car. As you're aware, there's not much room between the front seat and the back seat. These cars aren't the best setup for baby seats, but it will work.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:30 PM
ab
2nd Gear Member

Back in the day when my son was on the way I remember going to friends with babies and trying thier seats out in the car. We had a Celica at the time. It was a pain but you do what you gotta for kids. Hope that helps good luck.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:33 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

Get a recaro. They make a convertible one (goes from infant rear facing to front facing 70lbs) and plus they look awesome. They accept the latch system or seat belt.

http://www.recarochildseat.com/Recaro-Como-G2.pro
Old 10-28-2009, 03:02 PM
jtstakelin
2nd Gear Member

i'm very interested in the recardo. I'm not too worried about the passenger since it will be usually just me and baby in my car. The cobalt is, surprising, larger inside than the mustang and can fit the infant seat without an issue.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:30 PM
jjcsr74
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jtstakelin
Everyone,
My wife and I are expecting! I have searched the board for some baby seat threads and I haven't had much luck finding one that has model numbers or actual brands. I have an S197 car so I have LATCH and all that good stuff. Any suggestions?
My suggestion is: and im not being sarcastic, but either use your wife’s car when your all together or get a third vehicle...my youngest is 3 and he can create havoc, he got way too comfortable driving in my Jeep and could care less…my wife is also expecting and we've been looking at a vehicle to buy because we outgrew her Focus or our explorer...Looking at a 7 passenger HSE Land Rover, but regardless a cheap beater is better (reliability is key with a little one of course)
Old 10-28-2009, 07:34 PM
jjcsr74
1st Gear Member

Everyone,

What was i thinking...CONGRATS!!!

The most important thing is safety, and just look for whats Safest for your child that sits correct on your seats. I agree with the recaro...

Last edited by jjcsr74; 10-28-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:49 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Everyone,
My wife and I are expecting! Any suggestions?
Get a second car. It seems like I'm joking, but I'm not. I bought one of the highest rated rear facing infant seats and it doesn't fit in the mustang at all. My wife and I use the prius or (occasionally) the F150 to transport the kid. I wouldn't recommend a convertible seat. They are much heavier than infant seats and they don't snap in and out of a base easily like infant seats do. Trust me, that is a luxury when Jr. is sleeping soundly and you want to bring him into the grocery store.

Source: Father of a two month old.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:01 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

I have a 5 year old and she's been riding the Mustang since she was 3. I didn't have the Mustang when she had to use the rear facing seat, but the front facing one wasn't a problem. It was a Graco I think. Now I have this one:

It fits the Stang like a glove and my daughter loves it. The seatbelts on it attach directly to the LATCH system so it's very compact and light.

I agree with the others about the Recaro though, there's also Britax which is excellent but I don't know if you can get it in the States.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:30 PM
jtstakelin
2nd Gear Member

Cool. Unfortunately, the beater won't work. I will only have baby in the mustang when its just me and it. So the seat all the way forward won't matter. Thanks for the suggestions so far and the congrats.

Quick Reply: Baby seat question