Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is the best product for leather seats

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 11:30 PM
cummins cowboy
2nd Gear Member

Default what is the best product for leather seats

I was wondering what is the best thing to put on leather seats to keep them from drying out and cracking, I have put lexol on leather wrapped wheels in the past but I am not sure how much good it did, i am looking for something that will preserve them
Old 11-10-2009, 12:23 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

There are any number of good products for preserving the leather. Lexol was one I was going to suggest. I usually use Griot's Garage Leather Care.

Here is something to think about. Do you clean the leather surface before you apply the preservative? If you don't, then the dirt that is present can cause deterioration, and the preservative can't do its job properly. Clean the surface with a soft brush or vacuum, and use a cleaner on it. I use Griot's Garage Interior Cleaner. The seats usually don't show dirt on the cloth, but the steering wheel can be quite dirty.

As with waxing or painting the exterior of the car, proper preparation before the final step can be the key to a good job.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:59 AM
usc49erfan
2nd Gear Member

i vaccum then use meguiars, has a nice smell to it too
Old 11-10-2009, 09:35 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Best thing to put on leather seats to keep from cracking/drying out? A garage lol. Mine still look like new 3 years later with a light application of Meguire's Gold Class rich leather cleaner and wipes every few months and a heavy application of daily garage both at home and work .
Old 11-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Since the majority of our seat materials are vinyl, anything thats suitable for both vinyl and the minimal leather trim. I've been using the Meguairs Gold Class also. It's ok but doesn't seem to last too long. I'll have to look into Lexol and Griots.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:49 AM
luvmygt
2nd Gear Member

I also use meguiars, but as nuke said it really doesn't last very long at all.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:23 PM
NDN GQ
2nd Gear Member

The folks who mentioned lexol and griots, where do you buy that stuff? How frequent is the application/use?
Old 11-10-2009, 03:09 PM
jyna06gt
1st Gear Member

i use "Leather Renu Mink Oil Protector" stuff works great! but just like stated before you wanna do a really good cleaning before putting any kind of protector on them.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:37 PM
scheetz83
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Art161
There are any number of good products for preserving the leather. Lexol was one I was going to suggest. I usually use Griot's Garage Leather Care.

1+ to griots I live about 20mins from there headquarters/store. There stuff is amazing and not just the leather care but ALL there stuff. I really like there micro fiber towels and there Drying towel. I can dry the whole car with out wringing it out!

Sorry to get off topic.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NDN GQ
The folks who mentioned lexol and griots, where do you buy that stuff? How frequent is the application/use?
You can probably find Lexol in a shoe repair shop. For Griot's http://www.griotsgarage.com.

I apply the leather care every two months. My car is garaged and I usually only drive it on weekends. If you park outside and/or drive frequently, maybe you need to apply it more often.

Quick Reply: what is the best product for leather seats