Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Owner With a Few Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 04:05 PM
HeadonaStick
1st Gear Member

Default New Owner With a Few Questions...

I recently purchased a 2008 GT/CS. I love it as is, but of course I want to change things!

My first question is how "special" is the California Special? Do I really want to start changing it? I didn't buy it because it was special, just because I liked how it was equipped, but I don't want to tinker with a future "classic" or anything.

Second, I have been searching these forums for 4 or 5 days and I can't find out where to purchase the side stripes with the GT/CS logo. If I make changes I think one thing I want to do is change the color of the stripes. And a new hood. And some suspension work. And....

Finally, I love the Cobra fender logos. Is it totally poor taste to use them on a non-Cobra car? I don't want a copycat, I just really like those logos. Any way to adapt them so they are more aligned with my car - any ideas?

Any other thoughts would be appreciated - I'm new to the whole Mustang thing, so if anyone can keep me from making totally stupid mistakes, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 12-24-2009, 04:13 PM
notsofast
2nd Gear Member

I don't think the production numbers for the CS are so low that you have to worry about tinkering with a future classic. Even if that were to somehow become the case 20 or so years from now, so what? You might not still have the car, and think about all the fun you'd miss out on by leaving well enough alone.

I think the CS was strictly an appearance package, so the same issues with modding any other GT should apply. I'd say put whatever stripes, fender badges, or any other mod you like, especially as it applies to appearance upgrades. Do your research on performance upgrades - not all will likely achieve the results you are looking for.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:19 PM
Widowmaker[X]
2nd Gear Member

There were 7,500 or so 2007 CS Mustangs produced so I'd expect the 2008 numbers to be similar. The car isn't rare by any means, and I highly doubt the value of an original 2008 CS Mustang to increase over the years.

@ the stripes, what color is the car? I always prefer no stripes over any stripes at all, and I have not seen CS stripes for sale anywhere but the dealer. I know that regular OEM Mustang rocker stripes cost like a ridiculous $200 from the stealership.

As for the Cobra badges, the debate rages on, but the consensus you will find in most Mustang circles (and from me) is that if the car isn't a Cobra, it shouldn't have Cobra badges.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:26 PM
HeadonaStick
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Widowmaker[X]
There were 7,500 or so 2007 CS Mustangs produced so I'd expect the 2008 numbers to be similar. The car isn't rare by any means, and I highly doubt the value of an original 2008 CS Mustang to increase over the years.

@ the stripes, what color is the car? I always prefer no stripes over any stripes at all, and I have not seen CS stripes for sale anywhere but the dealer. I know that regular OEM Mustang rocker stripes cost like a ridiculous $200 from the stealership.

As for the Cobra badges, the debate rages on, but the consensus you will find in most Mustang circles (and from me) is that if the car isn't a Cobra, it shouldn't have Cobra badges.
Good to know I won't be ruining a classic

As for the stripes, the car is white and has black LeMans stripes right now. I like the look, but am thinking about a dark blue set. I really don't need the CS stripes - I don't like the fade away look anyway. Right now it has solid stripes from the wheel well back to the scoop.

To be honest, I feel the same about the Cobra badges - but they are so darn good looking.

I am thinking about a new hood because I want something functional... I just don't like the fake scoop. I guess the Cobra badges are essentially the same thing.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:02 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Our Stangs won't be classics like the originals were but definitely will be more recognized than previous models SINCE the original series, IMO.

As far as modding, have at it. There's a lot of information in the stickies and via the search feature. Choose your "show" and "go" mods wisely as most mods will quickly drain the bank account.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:18 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

yep, mod away
Old 12-24-2009, 06:40 PM
GROWLNTA
1st Gear Member

if you wanted the badges you should of bought a cobra in my opinion....
Old 12-24-2009, 06:45 PM
HeadonaStick
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GROWLNTA
if you wanted the badges you should of bought a cobra in my opinion....
All it takes is money... It was hard enough convincing my wife that feeding our kiddo three times a day was spoiling him

That said, I guess I agree - even though they are sweet badges.

I'll probably go with something else. It also depends on whether or not I leave the CS stripe on the side. Right now I am leaning towards a Ford Racing stripe low and a "Powered by Ford" logo higher. Or just the logo and no stripe.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:48 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HeadonaStick
...I love the Cobra fender logos. Is it totally poor taste to use them on a non-Cobra car?...
Can you say POSER?
Old 12-24-2009, 06:50 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Do like most owners of the "special ed" cars, mod away but keep all the stock parts(if you have the room). that way you can always put it back to stock IF it ever becomes a classic.

Quick Reply: New Owner With a Few Questions...