Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger Regrets

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 10:30 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
I'm not sure whether the Vortech is a better choice over the Paxton or not.
Brenspeed recently confirmed that the blowers are identical, except the name stamped onto it. The only real difference I see is in the kits. The Vortech seems to always ship with a liquid IC, vs the air-to-air Paxton. So I believe the choice between the 2 should come down to the IC you want to run...
Old 12-30-2009, 10:38 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I've read air->air is probably the best choice for a street car.

So the Paxton 2200 = Vortech HO other than the IC? That's the only difference?

And Mudflap are you for reals dude? You actually LIKE the snow? lol you can have it.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:41 AM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

I struggled with the sheer fact that with the traffic in my area I would never get to enjoy the benefit of a 4-6k supercharger. Not only that, but as with my Harleys the more high dollar goodies you throw at it you will NEVER see that money again on resale.
I learned my lesson more than once on that believe me. But if money is no object go for it!
Old 12-30-2009, 10:51 AM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ResQman
It's funny hearing your stories about heat. As much as you have heat, two weeks ago it was -40 F. for about a week. And no, my car is in storage until March at least.
Tell you what, maybe we can swap, you come here for the winter, I will go there for the winter. Sorry to be off topic.

At least you have ice fishing. One of the things I miss most. I'm a SD transplant living in WA for the last 21 years.

To get back on topic: My biggest regret is not listening to advice from people who had already done what I was planning. I was advised to get an intercooled sc. I went with a non-intercooled Whipple. Then added meth injection for cooling. Meth works great when wot but when driving in traffic it just doesn't come on. On an 80's day I would see iat2's of 150+ non-intercooled sitting in traffic. WOT would see 180's. Now that I'm intercooled It's a steady 100-110 on warmer days.

There are lot's of good supercharger kits out there. Figure out if you want centri, twin screw, or tvs. I wouldn't mess with a roots (Roush and magnacharger). Get an intercooled version.

Based on everything I've done to my car and all the positive experiences others on this board have had I would advise the following:

Whipple/FRPP HO. http://fordracingparts.com/parts/par...KeyField=10589 Call Toulsey Ford in MN for the best price.

What's so good about it? It's designed for the Mustang, not adapted to it. The kit goes on with no drama. There is no hacking of the car required. The only things that need to be modified are a tab that needs to be ground off of the belt tensioner and wires need to be lengthened for the maf and tps.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:55 AM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

Yeah that's the way I felt about the Saleen, it's made for the mustang, nothing else so it fits like a glove.

Yeah don't do it as an investment, but I don't plan on selling the car anytime soon anyhow!
Old 12-30-2009, 11:06 AM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Well, that can said about the Edelbrock as well... but we all think our kits were the best choice

I don't think the OP can go wrong with any of these 3 units (Saleen, Whipple/FRPP, or Edelbrock). All are well made kits that were specifically designed for our cars, easy to install/tune and put down decent power. It really comes down to personal preference and the final look you want under the hood.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:07 AM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Doogie65
Well, that can said about the Edelbrock as well... but we all think our kits were the best choice

I don't think the OP can go wrong with any of these 3 units (Saleen, Whipple/FRPP, or Edelbrock). All are well made kits that were specifically designed for our cars, easy to install/tune and put down decent power. It really comes down to personal preference and the final look you want under the hood.
Well said.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:11 AM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Doogie65

Yup!

OT: Love the foose hood!, now if I could find a cheap saleen hood LOL aluminum FTW!
Old 12-30-2009, 11:26 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Aren't all these kits designed specifically for these cars? I don't understand that statement.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:32 AM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

What we mean is you can buy a Kenne Bell, they use the same blower on many different cars, but just adapt it with a intake manifold.

Something like the Saleen and Edelbrock are all in one units with manifolds designed right into the supercharger and and made specifically for the Mustang

Quick Reply: Supercharger Regrets