Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone get grief for having an automatic

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 08:05 PM
spiritualzombie

The phasing out of manuals is indeed a sad thing. There is a connection between car and driver with a manual transmission that automatics just don't have... but that may be my manual transmission bias.

Maybe if the automatic shifter was in a similar pattern as a manual... it might help... and turn the clutch pedal into a shift release (rather than a button on the shifter)
Old 01-20-2010, 08:28 PM
robs
3rd Gear Member

Manuals will never die. There will always be those of us that wanna jam gears...

Auto's may be quicker in the quarter... but I spend most of my time driving, not drag racing other people...

I want to be the one to decide what gear I am in, not some computer. I want to wind out gears regardless of throttle position. I want to red-line fry tires when I feel like it. I want to set it sideways through turns when I feel like it. A manual is all about control and driving the way YOU want to drive, not the way the computer wants you to drive (turning off the TCS happens after letting go of the key).

Am I anti-auto? NO. I prefer automatics in my Jeeps. Helps rock crawling a ton and helps technical trail riding.

Once again. Having a "high performance" V8 (as much as the GT is anyway)... an automatic is like a chasty belt on a pretty girl!!! Just not as much fun as possible other wise!
Old 01-20-2010, 08:36 PM
MasterMike

I don't like the fact that some people laugh at you cuz you have an auto trans in your Stang...Mine is an auto and I run a BamaChips tune and it really changed everything with the tune...And let's face it, I can't drive stick, too many knee problems...
Old 01-20-2010, 08:55 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by spiritualzombie
Maybe if the automatic shifter was in a similar pattern as a manual... it might help...
I toyed with a similar idea (with a manual-only, reverse-pattern valve body) back when the cars available to me all had 3-speed AT's. Couldn't find a way past the possibility of accidentally slipping all the way over and grabbing '1' when I meant to hit '2'. I suppose that this could be overcome via the PCM now.

I figure something like that gives you 50% to maybe 70% simulation of a MT. Separate from a slight difference in "feel", you'll still have to kick the throttle as you move the lever to take the 'clunk' out of the downshifts (but won't be able to ease the engagement of the lower gear like you can with a conventional clutch), and you still won't have much control over how aggressively each upshift 'grabs'.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 01-20-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:00 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by antonio1988
truth here... check me out whooping on a cammed LS3 vette with ET streets and he was in the good lane:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8pWCVYs1jk

Simon1, if your car had a 4r with a manual valve body and a nice converter, you'd be running 10s all day
I know. Tell me about it. I wish I wish I wish I wish.

My new position doesn't afford me the cash that I had before. Temporary, but eventually I will run the 4r70w and bracket race in the 10s.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:22 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Originally Posted by pascal
To MG:

No Schit! Marry you eh?
If he sported a New England Patriot shirt, he might not have been so silly, lol.
I think it was the business suit and three inch heels that initially set him up to be surprised I'd quote Henry Ford. Once he saw the hurst shifter and I told him I switched out the gears for 4.10's, to start talking football would just be piling on...poor old guy'd go into cardiac arrest.

S197 tech!
Old 01-21-2010, 07:28 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Margarita Girl

S197 tech!
LOL.
I try to make it more tech, isn't it obvious?
Old 01-21-2010, 08:13 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Originally Posted by pascal
LOL.
I try to make it more tech, isn't it obvious?
Sorry, Norm has got you beat. Put S197 tech! under his user name.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:52 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Simon I'd be real surprised if going to the automatic took THAT much time off the 1/4. Almost a full second because of shifting? That's hard to believe.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:22 AM
antonio1988
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
Simon I'd be real surprised if going to the automatic took THAT much time off the 1/4. Almost a full second because of shifting? That's hard to believe.
lol believe it man... a 4r70w, built, manual valve body, and the appropriate stall for his power levels at certain rpm's will shave at minimum a half second

Quick Reply: Anyone get grief for having an automatic