Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-22-2015, 05:57 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Replacing rear deck speakers

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 02:44 PM
USAF in Germany
2nd Gear Member

Default Replacing rear deck speakers

I am replacing the 5"8"s in the door and rear deck. I think I have the installation for the door speakers under wraps, but after surveying the rear deck, I need some guidance. I got enough from the web to know I have to pull the door sills, rear panels next to the rear seats, and then the cover over behind the rear seats covering the speakers.

How do I remove the door sills? I can't find any visible fasteners, which leads me to believe I need to pry it off, but I am uneasy about doing that to my new car. Once that is done, I found the fasteners holding the rear panels in. It looks like I need to insert a tool between them and the panel and pull them out, releasing the panels; am I right?

I would hate to jack this up, especially since the car hasn't even been in my possesion for 2 weeks.

Here's hoping that the replacement speakers are worth the trouble. I went with Boston Acoustics. Never had them before but all the reviews I have read are nothing but praise.

Appreciate any guidance given!

Trey
Old 02-01-2010, 03:34 PM
dominant1
3rd Gear Member

Replacing the rear speakers is easy work . what i did was take out the rear deck cover cut 2 holes out so the new speakers wouldn't be covered like the factory ones. I mounted exact fit pioneer 3 ways to the metal deck lid. I bought 6x9 speaker grilles and mounted them over the holes i cut out in the speaker cover. That's all there is to it.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:54 AM
USAF in Germany
2nd Gear Member

You didn't have to take out the panels next to the rear seats to remove the rear deck cover? Looks to me like they have to come out, and I believe the door sills have to come out before you can remove the panels and rear deck.

I need to know what tool to use and how to take out the sills. I don't want to tear anything up. Then, I need to know how to pull the 4 plastic fasteners holding the panels without breaking them.

Looking for someone that has done it and can inform me of what to watch for.

Thx
Old 02-02-2010, 06:53 AM
dstang10
2nd Gear Member

Ok first off you don't have to remove the door sills on the 2010's...you first need to remove the lower portion of the rear seats, then fold the top portions down. then you need to take out the lower door jam (kick panel). After that you'll need to take off the rear side panels which they just have some pop fasteners and some parts that need to be slid forward. Then you will be able to slide the rear deck panel towards the front. Its a real pain and i highly suggest cutting the top panel for the speaker and installing a grille.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:17 AM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

Dstang10? I replaced my front speakers with the R series Alpines, the 2 big Subwoofers on the door do the job being stock for me and I really did not think the rear window desk was worth it? Are there rear side panel speakers there too, how many speakers in the 2010? I thought 2 front 2 front Sub and 2 rear Deck for 6 total?
Old 02-02-2010, 09:07 AM
dstang10
2nd Gear Member

no there are not any speakers in the rear side panels. The 2010 deluxe have 4 speakers 2 in the doors and 2 on the rear top deck. The 2010 w/ prem sound come with 6 speakers 4 up front and 2 in the rear deck.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:34 AM
jasezero
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dstang10
no there are not any speakers in the rear side panels. The 2010 deluxe have 4 speakers 2 in the doors and 2 on the rear top deck. The 2010 w/ prem sound come with 6 speakers 4 up front and 2 in the rear deck.
Are you sure? It says right on Ford's site the standard Premium package is 8 speakers and the Shaker 1000 upgrade is 10 (shaker 500 + 2 subs in the trunk).
Old 02-02-2010, 10:15 AM
itsokimapilot
1st Gear Member

The back panel has significant play in it (you can bend it). I was able to pop out the back panel by dropping the seats and slowly working the panel out. The toughest part is the part of the panel outboard of the seat belt, there is tab fastener there.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:49 AM
dominant1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by USAF in Germany
You didn't have to take out the panels next to the rear seats to remove the rear deck cover? Looks to me like they have to come out, and I believe the door sills have to come out before you can remove the panels and rear deck.

I need to know what tool to use and how to take out the sills. I don't want to tear anything up. Then, I need to know how to pull the 4 plastic fasteners holding the panels without breaking them.

Looking for someone that has done it and can inform me of what to watch for.

Thx
you don't have to remove any panels the rear deck cover comes out pretty easy, just pop your rear seats down and remove the seatbelt from the cover seat belt slot and pop it out...
Old 02-02-2010, 11:47 AM
dstang10
2nd Gear Member

Stand some what corrected.... 4 speakers (deluxe) and it does show 8speakers for shaker 500 with shaker 1000 having 10. They must be talking about about 2 tweeters 4 speakers in the door and 2 in the rear deck with shaker 1000 having 2 subs.

Originally Posted by jasezero
Are you sure? It says right on Ford's site the standard Premium package is 8 speakers and the Shaker 1000 upgrade is 10 (shaker 500 + 2 subs in the trunk).

Quick Reply: Replacing rear deck speakers