Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 GT with Brembos and 6MT only??

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 10:56 PM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

Default 2011 GT with Brembos and 6MT only??

I haven't read the reasoning anywhere, but maybe one of you have, so does anybody know why Ford choose to allow the Brembo brake option on the 2011 MGT only with the 6MT tranny?

I know the manual is the more classic enthusiast trans of choice, as it always was for me too. But with my two 335i's I got the autos and damn if they weren't still fun, and as a bonus they were faster than the manuals as they not only could shift faster than any human in a manual but they enjoyed a 3.46 axle ratio to the manuals 3:08.

With the 2011 MGT the offering of a 3.73 in the manual, I'm pretty sure the manual will be faster anyway, but manuals and bumper to bumper traffic in a congested city like LA, don't make for a lot of fun. And that's often where you spend the most time driving (not going ***** out at a track, in the canyons, etc.

So it's a bummer for those who want (or may NEED) an auto tranny can't also have the upgraded Brembo brake package. As owners of auto tranny cars also like to go to the track from time to time as well.

I think that was a bad choice on Ford's part, and quite frankly since one has no relation to the other, doesn't seem to make a lot of sense in that decision.
All that being said, unless the auto was equally as fast as the manual, had paddle shifters, and rev matching downshifts, I'd go for the manual.
But if the auto did have all three of those things, and a torque converter to boot, it might be very hard to pass up the auto for those bumper to bumper grinds on the 405 and 101 freeways.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:03 PM
CB617
1st Gear Member

I was curious about that too. It makes no sense to me.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:11 PM
sicride
2nd Gear Member

It makes perfect sense. Automatics are targeted for the masses not the enthusiasts who join MustangForums. I'd venture to say that 90% of those who buy an automatic Mustang do not care about Brembo brakes. Most importantly of all, offering Brembo brakes got your attention and if you can't have it in the automatic you'll either buy an automatic without it or buy a manual transmission to get it. Either way, you bought a new Mustang.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:23 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sicride
It makes perfect sense. Automatics are targeted for the masses not the enthusiasts who join MustangForums. I'd venture to say that 90% of those who buy an automatic Mustang do not care about Brembo brakes. Most importantly of all, offering Brembo brakes got your attention and if you can't have it in the automatic you'll either buy an automatic without it or buy a manual transmission to get it. Either way, you bought a new Mustang.
Yep. It's not rocket science. It all comes down to dollars and cents.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:42 PM
CB617
1st Gear Member

I can see why Ford wouldn't produce a bunch of autos with Brembos, to send out to the dealers, but I can't see not making it available for order.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:55 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CB617
I can see why Ford wouldn't produce a bunch of autos with Brembos, to send out to the dealers, but I can't see not making it available for order.
Less possible build configurations = less $$$$.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:59 PM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

It's probably cheaper to add them yourself later anyway
Old 02-08-2010, 12:04 AM
Rollin Thunder
2nd Gear Member

or be a man and get a manual.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:08 AM
CB617
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AJ_68
Less possible build configurations = less $$$$.
Ahh yes, Makes sense. I am a little slow today
Old 02-08-2010, 12:20 AM
itsokimapilot
1st Gear Member

It would be even cheaper to get the Brembos with the man vice auto w/no Brembos. Plus you'll get a left leg workout everyday in the LA traffic. Saving money + daily exercise = win win for you!

Quick Reply: 2011 GT with Brembos and 6MT only??