Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need opinions on next mod...blower or NA mods...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 10:55 PM
red96v6
2nd Gear Member

Default Need opinions on next mod...blower or NA mods...

Hello. Ive been saving up some money to mod my stang for awhile now and I have around $4000 to spend. I really wanted a Saleen supercharger, but thats just not in my budget, and wont be anytime soon... The car is a 2007 GT and has a JLT intake with Brenspeed tune, high flow catted x-pipe, and SLP Loudmouths, along with a few cosmetic mods already.

I was considering a Vortech V3 non-intercooled kit. After reading many posts on this forum, Im not so sure anymore. I live on the gulf coast of Texas, south of Houston. Its very hot (80, 90+) here most of the year. From what Ive read, a non-intercooled blower would just be a heater on the motor... Does anybody with one live around Houston? How does it perform?

My other choice is staying NA. I would probably just get SPR cams, long tube headers, lowering springs, maybe 3.73 or 4.10 gears, and maybe a few other "small" things...

I have gotten used to 300 hp and need more power...
What are your opinions on what I should do? Vortech or NA? Any opinions are appreciated...
Old 02-17-2010, 11:00 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by red96v6
I was considering a Vortech V3 non-intercooled kit. After reading many posts on this forum, Im not so sure anymore. I live on the gulf coast of Texas, south of Houston. Its very hot (80, 90+) here most of the year. From what Ive read, a non-intercooled blower would just be a heater on the motor... Does anybody with one live around Houston? How does it perform?
I live in Dallas, so pretty close to you. 10/12 months a year, the car is fine. Its fast. During the dead of summer, when its 100 degrees outside, yeah, it pulls timing and you're not going to get 400 to the wheels. This is to be expected, and I wouldn't beat any car in that weather. As far as "just being a heater", heh, the car is so much faster than it was stock thats it not even funny, so I'll just leave it at that.

If you want the Saleen, just save a little longer. You're only like $1600 away. Also, try e-mailing Brenspeed as sometimes they have take-off blowers that they sell for good prices.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:10 PM
red96v6
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the reply Mudflap... The Saleen is not really do-able right now... I'm 21 right now and about to transfer to the Engineering program at the University of Houston this Fall. $4000ish is what Ive set aside for my car before I leave, I dont know if i could wait that much longer to save up $1600 more... Now Im leaning towards the V3 again... But I really want the Saleen, guess Ill be hopeful and try emailing Brenspeed.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:56 AM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

I always prefer to be blown
Old 02-18-2010, 03:20 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

just do the Vortech. All of the dissenting reviews against the Non-Intercooled are by people who are primarily focused on Max Performance all the time.

I had a Non-Intercooled RoushCharger on my F-150. Had no problems. It's roughly 85F or hotter here every single day. I never regretted my decision.

For a daily driver, the Vortec Non-intercooled will be just fine. You only really have to worry about HEAT SOAKING the manifold when you are making rapid and frequent runs with the boost applied.

Most people fail to mention that just cruising around, you are rarely in the boost. Basically the supercharger is just sitting there idly doing nothing. So minimal input. The heat load only really becomes a problem when you wail on her.

When we talk most bang for the buck...the blower is the best route. The NA mods are barely going to scratch your itch...and then you'll be sitting there wondering why the hell you didn't just buy the blower. And if you do the Vortec now, you can easily upgrade to the Intercooled version later...or getting that Saleen you really want. Blowers don't really lose their value. You will take a hit of course, but a good condition blower will always sell for decent $$$.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:01 AM
Chris D
1st Gear Member

I just went through the same scenario. I wanted to stay NA, had Comp Cams XFI Stage 2 NSR cams installed along with a Steeda CAI, 4.10's and JBA Cat4Ward headers. Nice gain, but nothing that I was satisfied with. I finally decided to go FI and was close to buying the V3 kit from Brenspeed. However, I live on the Gulf Coast of Alabama where it gets hot and humid too. I didn't like the idea of having a non-intercooled supercharger. Therefore, after a lot of research I purchased a Magna-Charger intercooled kit from J&M. It cost $3950 including freight and can be a DIY project. I'm having mine installed and dyno tuned because of the cams, but if your installing it to a stock car then the included SCT tuner based program would be sufficient. Just another option for ya....
Old 02-18-2010, 08:42 AM
liberty911
2nd Gear Member

If you really want a blower, then save for the blower and learn a lesson in delayed gratification. Anything else will not be satisfying.

If you do have to spend your money, and plan on a blower in the future, make sure any cams, gears, etc. will be compatible with the blower otherwise your just wasting time and money. That's my .02. With that and a buck you might be able to get a cup of coffee.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:07 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

Do you mind a low mileage used blower. I am contemplating selling my Saleen blower with 3200 miles. Send me a pm if interested.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:52 AM
rydeordie
3rd Gear Member

Hey I bought a used blower setup with no issues at all....but you have to carefully check the blower out to make sure there is no damage. Take someone who knows what they are doing and looking and you will be fine.

And if you really want a blower....do it the right way first and get what you want or otherwise you will just be wasting money time. My blower set for almost a year b4 I got it installed, cuz I wanted to make sure everything was done right the first time.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:36 PM
red96v6
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the replies, guys. Ive decided Im definitely going to get blown... V3 sounds like a good choice for me. But I think Im going to wait a little while longer and see if I can find a used Saleen, as that is what Ive wanted for years now.

S281 E, I sent you a pm...

Quick Reply: Need opinions on next mod...blower or NA mods...