Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My $11 take on the $270 Ford racing valve covers! (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 10:59 AM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

looks awesome. i was going to do that to mine, but i ended up buying a pair for 300 bucks. well worth the 11 bucks.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:01 AM
distantsoldier
2nd Gear Member

that blue really stands out against the grabber orange...
don't know if it would have worked or not but House of Kolor makes a color called Sunset Orange Pearl that would have looked awesome on there... It'll hold over 200 degrees...how hot do those things get?
Old 02-21-2010, 06:39 PM
East87
4th Gear Member

JD those look awesome!

Anyone know where the FULL thread that NamelessLiar created on this topic is?!?!?!?
Old 02-21-2010, 07:07 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

Good job. They really came out nice. As long as the prep was done right, you should not have any problems.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:05 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Why not paint them Grabbar Orange aswell?
Old 02-22-2010, 07:27 PM
SHOWPONY2010
1st Gear Member

This is a project that I want to do also... How long did it take you to take everything apart? I was actually thinking about finding a wrecked '10 GT, pulling/painting those covers, then replacing mine... I just didn't want to have the valve covers off of mine for an extended period of time. I'm not sure what color I want to paint them though... My '10 is Sterling Grey... Maybe a greyish color???
Old 02-22-2010, 07:33 PM
mustang queen
1st Gear Member

Agreed they look great!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-22-2010, 09:30 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SHOWPONY2010
This is a project that I want to do also... How long did it take you to take everything apart? I was actually thinking about finding a wrecked '10 GT, pulling/painting those covers, then replacing mine... I just didn't want to have the valve covers off of mine for an extended period of time. I'm not sure what color I want to paint them though... My '10 is Sterling Grey... Maybe a greyish color???

Took me about 4 hours, including the drying times between coats and such (so only about 30 min of work.) Taking them off is easy, just make sure the seal is seated when putting it back on. The only thing I would note is that there are only so many colors to pick from when going to autozone or like wise store, and trying to match you cars color might be hard. For instance I saw one on a Buillitt lately that ended up with what looked like a kind of neonish John Deer green..... well all greens are not the same so it looked pretty bad IMO with the Highland green. Same reason I didnt grab the orange off the shelf. If you want something like that where its matched to your car, consider having them powdercoated. Its not that expensive if your pulling them yourself and just having a place spray them.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:55 PM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

wow looks amazing and I really want to do this now, but should I be hesitant if a CAI install is the only real mechanical work I've done on the car? In other words how much real mechanical experience does this take?
Old 02-22-2010, 10:14 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by staggolee
wow looks amazing and I really want to do this now, but should I be hesitant if a CAI install is the only real mechanical work I've done on the car? In other words how much real mechanical experience does this take?

It took hardly any work at all. About the only tools you need is a 8mm and some extensions. Just keep in mind when your pulling the covers that they pull out with no effort at all. If something is keeping them from comming out, then your hung up on something you shouldnt be pulling on. Figure out what it is, wiggle it out of the way, and continue. Now that I have done it once, it would take me 5 minutes to pull them both again.

Quick Reply: My $11 take on the $270 Ford racing valve covers! (Pics)