Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo vs Supercharging

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 06:20 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

Your opening post did not mention, what type of driving you intended with FI. You should research forced induction first and not even consider brand names. Figure out which type of FI best suits your needs...all street....street/strip.....strip/street etc.

My car started with a supercharger, then a 67mm and now a 76mm single turbo. Our goal with the latest build is low 9s. We could achieve the same results with a supercharger. The turbo is convenient for us, because up to 6 boost settings can be set and adjusted from the driver's seat. I will start racing the car at the lowest boost setting (10 lbs?), while the guy with the race license, years of racing experience, and about 30 years younger, will be at 25+lbs.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:40 AM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by forensicsteve
Your opening post did not mention, what type of driving you intended with FI. You should research forced induction first and not even consider brand names. Figure out which type of FI best suits your needs...all street....street/strip.....strip/street etc.
QFT

I was wondering if anyone would point out the most important part of selecting what type of FI to use. Define your goals before you start picking out pulley sizes and buying bumper stickers.

Are you getting FI just so you can say you have it? Racing? If so, what sort? How much of a DD is it going to be?

If you havn't thought these questions through, your going to end up wishing you had later...
Old 03-05-2010, 07:42 AM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

get a procharger man, they are the best of both worlds, intercooled centrifugal s/c
Old 03-05-2010, 08:00 AM
loots06
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
you won't find a more complete kit than Whipple.
they stand by their product, reliable, and gets comparable power to any of the top SC.

what he said...I say whip it!
Old 03-05-2010, 09:11 PM
JT1826

well, first off, what model are u running? the 4.6L GT or the 4.0L V6.

if u have a V6, my first suggestion would be the X-Charger from Explorer Express. it's a supercharger. i havent had much experience with turbocharged vehicles so that's unknown territory for me. even my first car, my 06 Tib was supercharged.

(Correct me if im wrong)
i believe the Superchargers will give u more lower end torque whereas the Turbochargers will give u more higher end Horsepower. so for acceleration around town, i'd suggest supercharging and for higher top speed for use on highways or drag strips, then turbocharging is the way to go.

however, since we are talking about Mustangs here, most people will suggest superchargers. they are the majority preference.

BTW, welcome to the forums! Good luck with whichever application you choose!

*Don't forget, let us know which model u have!*