Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 Mustang GT Metal Scraping Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 07:05 AM
Corner43

Default 07 Mustang GT Metal Scraping Noise

I own a 2007 Mustang GT and recently on "cold" starts there is a metal on metal scraping noise. If I push the clutch in right away the sound is amplified even more. Then, if I were to drive off right away at about 2,500RPM there is the same sound with a sputtering frequency when accelerating.

Dealer is trying to say this is my fault and they are not responsible, saying it has to be the transmission and that for $1,650 I might need a new clutch and other parts. I don't have any problems getting into differnt gears and the clutch isn't tough to push in. I don't race the car or rag the hell out of it. Like anyone that drives a stick there have been maybe a handfull of times I was on a hill or something and got into the gas a little to quick and "burned" a little. Other than that I drive it like normal.

Just curious if anyone else has had this problem in the past and what they found out. It is tough to find information on metal scraping noises because I have found various TSB's with this description; As well as other people saying they heard the same noise and they had an issue with the tension on their E-Brake cable that sagged onto the driveshaft.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Depressed GT Owner.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:23 PM
MustangJim21
1st Gear Member

I have an 05 GT and it has been doing the same thing as you describe for the past month. Like you've stated, it only makes the noise on cold starts and seems to be amplified when pushing in the cluth pedal. I am still working to diagnose the problem (haven't taken it to a shop), but I believe it may be the throw out bearing. This weekend I got underneath my car when it was making the noise and it definitely seems to be coming from the tranny. Like your car, I no problems shifting through the gears and my cluth does not slip. Let me know if you find the culprit and I will do the same.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:28 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

There are a few metal-to-metal types of sounds that I'm accustomed to with my Stang and other input from forum members.

One is due to under-torqued exhaust pipe clamps where the joints will rattle at about the 1800 RPM range. The clamps will appear pretty tight but they may need an extra few foot lbs of force.

Another is the seperator plate discussed in one of the TSB's. If you're still under warranty it's a no-brainer. If not, you may get to test your negotiation skills.

I'm pretty sure there's 1 or 2 more but I can't recall off the top of my head.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:46 PM
One Bad Stang
4th Gear Member

good luck trying to get a dealer to fix anything. ive been to 3 different dealers here locally and they all refuse to fix my car. the las issue was a door rattle they said was an "inhearant mustang problem". so i took my door panels off and found some loose fasteners for the window regulator and the rattle was fixed. this was just one of many instances where a dealer blew me off for no good reason. the look on their faces when i came back to show them i fixed it myself was priceless though. i had the service manager, service writer, and tech present when i showed them how to fix cars.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:36 AM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

Yeah, they don't care enough to do anything
Old 03-17-2010, 11:14 AM
Corner43

Default Fixed

Dealer found the problem and it was the throw out bearing and a couple other parts. It is covered under warranty so didn't cost me anything. Lucky for me since my 3 years comes up the first week of June. And lucky for us mustang owners Ford has such great faith in their products to have such long warranty lengths (sarcasm). Good luck to anyone else having this same noise/problem. I can only imagine what will come nextw ith my car.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:23 PM
One Bad Stang
4th Gear Member

well congrats on getting that fixed! purely amazing the dealer did anything about it at all. i think most of the reason im disgusted with the ford dealers is because i work at a dealership as a tech (not ford) and heads would roll if we treated people the way ford does.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:49 PM
MustangJim21
1st Gear Member

Glad to hear this was covered under warranty for you! That must be a relief. In addition to the throw out bearing, what other parts were contributing to the noise?
Old 03-21-2010, 07:10 AM
Corner43

"One Bad Stang" you bring of a valid point I have always wanted to know about. This probably doesn't fit your company profile but why is it that it seems dealers don't want to help their customers when something is still under warranty? It's not like they aren't getting paid. They submit the warranty claim and the money comes in. If you have faith in your product and its parts then you would have longer, better warranties because you know the parts will more than likely last past the warranty expiration date. Just something I have always been amazed about. Seems Ford Dealer Techs try to intimidate and make the customer feel stupid when they are simply trying to describe a legit noise they hear. I drive the car everyday so I know what sounds I hear on a normal basis and the feel in the pedals etc. If I feel an extra vibration then trust me when I say it is there. A mustang gt has always been my dream car since high school. After having this car for 3 years now I honestly want to just drive it off a cliff at times. Sadly I don't think I will ever buy another Ford product, which I hate to say.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:25 PM
Allstar
5th Gear Member

i have this issue.... is this something I can fix instead of the dealer?? are the parts expensive? do they need to be replaced??

Quick Reply: 07 Mustang GT Metal Scraping Noise