Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is 23.72 mpg Good with 4.10, Etc? Thoughts Please

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 10:17 AM
Mister Roper
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by howarmat
all you are doing is being a stupid douche! we all get the joke....its just not funny
Where did he tell/insinuate a "joke"? The fact is, if someone does not know the difference between "4:10" and "4.10:1", I really wouldn't believe their ability to accurately calculate MPG either. Just sayin'...
Old 03-19-2010, 02:36 PM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mister Roper
Where did he tell/insinuate a "joke"? The fact is, if someone does not know the difference between "4:10" and "4.10:1", I really wouldn't believe their ability to accurately calculate MPG either. Just sayin'...
By now we should all be fluent in internet "typonese." We all knew what he meant. This thread has turned into a nitpicky thread about somebody putting a period in the wrong place. If somebody asked me what kind of gears I had I could easily say 410, 4.10, four10, 4ten, four ten, fore ten, for ten, and I am pretty sure everybody could figure it out.

I am sure there is a technical writers forum for you people that like to argue about proper spelling, grammar and period placement.

Last edited by thedrod; 03-19-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:01 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by bigray327
Wow, you win the worst reader of the day award, which is an accomplishment on this forum. Your parents will be very proud of you, but everyone else is pointing and laughing (even if you did edit the thread title).

Here, I'll type slower for you.

"4.10s" makes sense, like it does in my sig. I've been running them forever. Idiots around here say "4:10" as if it's possible to have a 4.0:10 gear ratio, which is the same as 0.4:1. Time for you to head back to remedial math. And English. And cars.
Well here...
Since my English fails.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:42 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

bahaha damn pascal that was good ****
Old 03-19-2010, 05:29 PM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

I'll bet you a year's pay you don't have 4:10 gears. You in?
bigray327 - Sure, you pay to have rear end pulled and put back together and scan in and send your w2 so I know it's worth the trouble...I had 3:55s before and my rpms went to approx 2700 at 75 mph in 5th with a manual -- the difference just with the revs makes it obvious - plus it's reflashed with the sct for 4:10s - still ready to get a second job for a year.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:37 PM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

Mister Roper - So I guess now all abbreviations have been banned on the forum - you other guys better take note!
Old 03-19-2010, 09:39 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Maybe because there's no such thing as "4:10s."

They're 4.10s, gears with a 4.10:1 ratio. Do you people not know what you're putting in your own cars? A car with 4:10s would be the slowest car on the planet.

Another twit...just what we needed..
Old 03-19-2010, 09:41 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Geez, the twit has a helper... just sayin
Old 03-19-2010, 09:43 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

We get two "people" on this thread that have to take..what everyone else knew was the gear ratio..and turn it into something else and something stupid...just proof that some "people" have nothing better to do with their time than try to start crap
Old 03-19-2010, 10:29 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by thedrod
By now we should all be fluent in internet "typonese." We all knew what he meant. This thread has turned into a nitpicky thread about somebody putting a period in the wrong place. If somebody asked me what kind of gears I had I could easily say 410, 4.10, four10, 4ten, four ten, fore ten, for ten, and I am pretty sure everybody could figure it out.

I am sure there is a technical writers forum for you people that like to argue about proper spelling, grammar and period placement.

This has nothing to do with grammar. This has to do with mathematics. A little thing called ratios. Putting 4:10 has been a pet peeve of mine as well. This is more than just a typo. You see, I'm a software engineer which means math is my thing. That's all it is, math and logic. So when I see something like this, I just shake my head because 4:10 and 4.10 are completely different things and shows the person has no clue about what they're doing to their car. Now, if this was a one time thing where they did it once or twice but did it right most of the time I guess I could let it slide. But I'm quite sure that is not the case now.

Now if you moderators want to add me to this list of "a-holes" also go ahead. God forbid I try to being some real tech to this forum. Something it really lacks.

Quick Reply: Is 23.72 mpg Good with 4.10, Etc? Thoughts Please