Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership drove my car into a pond. FMYLIFE....Dealer Response

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 11:56 PM
Fred Malibu
4th Gear Member

A Python 990 remote seems simple to operate.. if you don't know which button UNLOCKS the car, you shouldn't be operating one.

How does one manage to screw this up? Fat fingers?!
Old 03-26-2010, 11:58 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

i doubt it was the unlocking part....it was clicking the "panic" button to locate the car would be my guess
Old 03-27-2010, 12:00 AM
Sam I am
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by howarmat
i doubt it was the unlocking part....it was clicking the "panic" button to locate the car would be my guess
No offense, but I said that yesterday, and my post got deleted.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:32 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by howarmat
As Fords remote start button is usually blue if I'm not mistaking
Old 03-27-2010, 12:34 AM
BlackDeath3

Originally Posted by Sam I am
No offense, but I said that yesterday, and my post got deleted.
I hear you
Old 03-27-2010, 12:38 AM
Sam I am
2nd Gear Member

The red button on my remote is indeed the panic button. I can see how this would happen.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:32 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

alrighty...lets start with the easy stuff.

1. starter propelling a vehicle
contrary to popular opinion, a starter motor can and will propel a vehicle with amazing force. and we aren't talking about 1-2 feet. try more like 5-6 feet per cycle of the starter. the vehicle will litterally surge forward. damn scary

It's all about torque and torque multipliers. a V-8 starter motor is indecently strong.

also, another factor is the timing circuit of the remote start. they have a built in protective circuit that is designed to prevent wearing out the starter motor...however, it will allow the starter to run for anywhere from 5-10 seconds before "realizing" that the car isn't running.

That is why all manufacturers have been using Neutral Kill Start Switches since at least the 60-70's. It truly is that dangerous.

2. e-brake holding the vehicle
a properly operating e-brake SHOULD hold a vehicle from moving. Maybe. However, the emergency brake is one of those things where IF YOU DON'T USE IT, YOU LOSE IT.

alot of people don't use their e-brakes...or they barely engage them. It's a nasty habit I've noticed. Which is funny considering that you are supposed to use the e-brake at all times in a stick or auto

anyhoo...if you don't regularly utilize your e-brake, the mechanism gets loose and renders the e-brake pretty much inneffective. There is a ratcheting pawl (similar to old style drum brake tensioners) that maintains the tension. Without regular full deployment of the e-brake it cannot do it's job.
if yours gets loose, you can fully engage the handle to your hearts content...and it won't accomplish anything.

to test, get your car rolling about 10 mph and engage the e-brake. the car should pretty much stop immediately when operating properly.

3. Please read the darn thread before jumping into something like this and not having a clue. There are at least 2 pages of this thread alone where people read Post #1-5 and then decided to say something. Cool and all, but darn near all of their posts reflected they didn't even have the Cliff's Notes version of the story.

there is more, but I'm tired. We'll see what other B.S. pops up overnight and while I'm at work tomorrow. Y'all have a good night
Old 03-27-2010, 05:58 AM
iDance
2nd Gear Member

This is more than most dealers would do, so, congrats for standing up and showing the other side of the story. It should end here, with no additional discounts or anything.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:47 AM
JimC

Despite all the "internet lawyers" giving advice here, (and I try to stay out of giving any legal advice when I don't have enough information and can't ask for more and yes I am an attorney) - I can defend the dealership very easily in this one if I were licensed in that state and the lawsuit started. Owner over rides the safety settings that Ford builds into the car. We know he did because - HE POSTED IT ON THE INTERNET and did the over ride despite members of the Forum telling him not to, so I can prove it easily and if the dealer is smart he has already captured that post and everything else you have posted.

I'm sorry that you lost your car but you set things in motion to cause the problem. If you hadn't done what you were told not to do already then this would not have happened. If you would have done what the company that made your remote start told you to do - leave the safety standards in place, disable the remote start when dropping it off for service -- then none of this would have happened.

Could be why the original poster in the other thread said that he is going to have to eat it, and why he hasn't found an attorney. I wouldn't take his case either because I don't think it will stay in court long enough to get anywhere. Seems to me that you came here looking to strong arm the dealer into doing something for you that they aren't obligated to do, in other words trying to set up a negotiating tactic for handling this.

Last edited by JimC; 03-27-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:08 AM
dkx

Aparently autoblog has picked up the story.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/25/f...stomers-musta/

Quick Reply: Dealership drove my car into a pond. FMYLIFE....Dealer Response