Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership drove my car into a pond. FMYLIFE....Dealer Response

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 05:55 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Originally Posted by lcdt94
There's no way in Hell the car overpowered the parking brake at idle. Either way you're lying. Either A. a few of your techs decided to take the car out for a ride and ended up putting it in a pond or B. the parking brake wasn't set.
From a cold start your car goes to idle. Funny, mine goes to around 1800 RPM and then slowly comes down.

They took it out for a ride in the rear of the service department??? What fun would that be.... wait, your not familiar with the dealership so your just guessing and insinuating correct??
Old 03-28-2010, 07:54 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by marcuskeeler
... We have enough trouble getting the fackers to pay out for legitimate reasons, why make it easy for them??
Ain't that the truth...
Old 03-29-2010, 12:31 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lcdt94
There's no way in Hell the car overpowered the parking brake at idle. Either way you're lying. Either A. a few of your techs decided to take the car out for a ride and ended up putting it in a pond or B. the parking brake wasn't set.
do you bother to read? or selectively focus on certain things?

it is very likely the car never even started. and if the e-brake was working, it would be enough to stall out the motor...which would prevent the remote start from getting a "running" signal to tell it to stop cranking. without that "running/kill" signal, the remote start would continually crank the motor until the timing circuit killed it. which could be anywhere from 5-10 seconds.
Originally Posted by doode
ok....so for ****s and giggles, i decided to see what would happen if i remote started my car with it in gear

1 = i have a compustar
2 = i have the neutral start disabled
3 = probably wasn't the best for my car, but I wanted to see

What did i find out? ** IF THE EBRAKE IS SET 100% THERE IS NO WAY THE CAR CAN DRIVE FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME. PERIOD **

I sat in the car, hit remote start. The sucker cranked ( suprisingly forceful )car jerked with each crank of the starter but it did not start and stay running. It couldnt start and would stall out against the ebrake. HOWEVER, the compustar took it as a false start and tried again ( that kinda scared me cause the whole thing started bucking and jerking again ).

Total movement was maybe 2 feet, if that. Total horrible groaning noises = not nice.

So....i am led to believe that the dealer didn't set the ebrake on fully, and pulled it maybe 50% of the way or something.
2 questions for you.

1. Do you use your e-brake 100% of the time?
2. did you try this with the e-brake 1/2 way set?

I believe you about the car not moving. That is why I said in my prior post that a e-brake SHOULD stop this kind of situation. But I've seen many times where people don't even bother to set it. And that leads to weak/non-functioning e-brakes.

Which is what I theorize happened with LD's car. Either his e-brake was only partially engaged...or it just didn't work at all from non-use.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:12 AM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

I am not taking sides but I am just going to say that I know for a fact if I engage my E-Brake my car will not move forward without pushing the gas... I have an automatic so don't know if that makes a difference.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:38 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

I have two compustar alarms both hooked up to manuals. I do not know how you bypassed the nuetral safety nor why you would want to especially after reading this.

The way the compustar system works, when I stop the car to park it I keep my foot on the foot brake while I engage the parking brake. AT that point I put the car in nuetral and with both brakes on, the alarm knows I am parking. When I turn the key off, the alarm keeps the ignition circuits on while I get out of the car while still idleing in nuetral. When I shut the door it will then turn the motor off, lock the doors and arm the alarm. As long as the doors are not opened which it monitors, the alarm knows the trans is in nuetral and will allow the vehicle to start. If the doors are opened or the exit sequence is not completed an error will occure and not allow it to start. When installed correctly I have not heard of a single issue and I have been inside the industry long enough to hear if it had happened. When installed correctly it should be disabled with the hood up no matter if it is on an manual or auto to prevent any techs from getting hurt.

I have seen many failed attempts and if you think a parking break will completely stop your car you are wrong. Unless you apply that thing 100% to the point you are about to bend it, and it is in 100% perfect condition you would be suprised how far a car will go with the parking break on in a V-8. They use high-torque starters and will make the car lurch forward or back everytime it cranks. I can remember one time working on an old muscle car while testing for an ignition wire I went one click too far and was scared crap-less when it started moving forward, brake was on.....
Old 03-29-2010, 02:03 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ttocs
if you think a parking break will completely stop your car you are wrong. Unless you apply that thing 100% to the point you are about to bend it, and it is in 100% perfect condition you would be suprised how far a car will go with the parking break on in a V-8. They use high-torque starters and will make the car lurch forward or back everytime it cranks. I can remember one time working on an old muscle car while testing for an ignition wire I went one click too far and was scared crap-less when it started moving forward, brake was on.....
thank you

but until people see it 1st hand...they just refuse to believe.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:11 AM
Full Force

No matter the case, dealer wins... simple...all the facts add up in dealers favor, sorry for the owner but facts are facts..
Old 03-29-2010, 07:58 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Full Force
No matter the case, dealer wins... simple...all the facts add up in dealers favor, sorry for the owner but facts are facts..
Not trying to say one way or the other but, How do we know who actually posted up this dealer response. Was it really the dealer or was it some yahoo posing as the dealer? Are we really getting both sides here? Just a bit of food for thought.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:08 AM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

this has post has been hammered...
Old 03-29-2010, 10:46 AM
Redsox401
2nd Gear Member

I’ve read every post in both threads and I think the OP is a **** for bypassing the safety features of the RS and not informing the dealership which makes him the primary person responsible BUT from reading, I understand the tech going to get the car was trying to unlock the vehicle (stated by GM of Brandon ford) and he hit the red button with the asterisk and not the unlock button. why? If he was ASSUMING it was the panic button on the aftermarket fob and using it to locate the vehicle this makes him partly responsible as well. it was an aftermarket fob he was not familiar with, the unlock button is clearly marked and he still pushed the red one. Is there an investigation ongoing by the local police. There are inconsistencies in both stories and as usual the truth probably lays somewhere in the middle.

Last edited by wilkinda; 03-29-2010 at 08:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Dealership drove my car into a pond. FMYLIFE....Dealer Response