Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hurst Questions Search Didn't Answer ;)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 05:45 PM
Stetler17

Red face Hurst Questions Search Didn't Answer ;)

OK...I'm burnt out reading all of the post on Hurst installs and the "issues" with rattles.

BTW, thanks to everyone for the great tips.

My questions:

1) There is a rubber plug in the end of the stalk going to the front of the tranny but nothing inside. Has anyone filled this with lead shot or something to reduce vibration? Similar to the stock panhard bar.

2) I found one post with a comment about a shorter FRPP stick to bring it back to stock height. Has anyone used it and did it make the shifter throw extremely short?

Sorry for yet another Hurst question and thanks for any help.

Mark
Old 04-20-2010, 06:22 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

1) no but that might help

2) I haven't used that so I wouldn't know for sure but I would think that you would have problems doing that since it would take away a lot of your leverage and it's a little notchy to begin with.

I love my Hurst shifter, it did rattle a little at first but then stopped on it's own after some time. some people added gun oil to the bearing and that stopped it from rattling.

the k-member brace with the torque limiters made shifting in this car perfect, stopped the engine from flopping around and messing with shifts.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:29 PM
sycd
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stetler17
2) I found one post with a comment about a shorter FRPP stick to bring it back to stock height. Has anyone used it and did it make the shifter throw extremely short?
I'm using the shorter black stick with the stock ****. Shifts are a bit shorter but not too bad. Shifting is not harder than with the chrome stick and ball.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:43 PM
Analyzer52
2nd Gear Member

I just installed mine this pass weekend Hurst billet aluminum and I don't have any rattle at all I just locktite on the handle bolts and mounting stud.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:16 AM
07gtdude
2nd Gear Member

I just did the gun lube in the bearing and locktite on the handle bolts and mine has been perfect. Just get those handle bolts on REAL tight. Had mine installed by a Ford tech who was very experienced/knowledgable with the Hurst shifter and he did an awesome job. No issues with rattle for me.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:49 AM
2011CS
1st Gear Member

My shifter rattled until I got the syncro TSB looking into and found it wasn't my shifter at all but inside my transmission and being felt/heard through my shifter.

Jeff
Old 04-21-2010, 09:53 AM
tr6nut
1st Gear Member

If you put a rubber gasket between the shift arm and the shifter, most of your noise will cease. You can make your own or buy one from this guy:
http://stangshiftergaskets.com/
Old 04-21-2010, 11:24 AM
Stetler17

Thanks for the help guys.

If I can find the short FRPP arm, I'll pick one up and try both set-ups out.

tr6nut
I ordered the gasket. For that price it saves me from looking around for a suitable material. Thanks for the link!

Last edited by Stetler17; 04-21-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:36 AM
iROK24/7
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tr6nut
If you put a rubber gasket between the shift arm and the shifter, most of your noise will cease. You can make your own or buy one from this guy:
http://stangshiftergaskets.com/
^^This solution will NOT WORK unless your problem is insufficiently tight mounting bolts. The REAL"Hurst rattle" is intrinsic to the Hurst S197 shifter's design. The rattle is caused by the ball/socket vibrating... which seems to affect the V6 shifter much more often than the V8 (and seems NOT to occur with the "billet" shifter). If your rattle sounds like someone shaking a can of spray paint (you know the little metal ball inside the can) THEN you have the REAL Hurst rattle... it's a bitch, but can be silenced by adding a plastic "spring" (1" section of pool hose) to the linkage just under the ball/socket. This dampens the vibrations at the source

Last edited by iROK24/7; 04-21-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:45 PM
Stetler17

iROK

I think I understand what you are doing with the "silencer", but I can't picture how you are doing it with a 1" pool hose.

Am I correct that you are holding slight tension on the spherical bearing with the hose to keep it from rattling?

Can you elaborate? This is a new one and I'm open to any suggestions.

Quick Reply: Hurst Questions Search Didn't Answer ;)