Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So, I've been debating trading in for a 2011 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 02:08 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Post So, I've been debating trading in for a 2011 5.0

Every since I heard of it's power.
Today I even stopped by my local dealer to check out the new body style just to see if I thought it was something I could get used to.

I have never liked the rear of the new models and really not the hoods either.
After sitting there.. looking for about 20 min at a black GT imagining it the way mine is now.. (the stripes, hoodpins, wheels, etc.) it just looked alot different to me.

From afar they don't look ALL that much different besides the back but when you get close there are alot of subtle differences that make up for a much different feel to me. I love the interior of the new ones besides the rectangular air vents. The interior is just really sleek.
But the car as a whole seems to give a very different outward feel.

The body does just not give me that old school retro feeling that I have on mine. What first got me hooked on mine was how much it reminded me of the old Mustangs. I had fallen in love with a 69 Mach 1 when I was a teenager and was never allowed to buy it (even with my own money)... and since then I had wanted an old Mustang. A Mach or fastback.

Well I did not have the time nor money to invest in building a classic up or keeping up with the upkeep of an old one as a daily driver so when the 05's came out I was estatic to say the least. Saved up my money for a down payment and bought her in 06. I have loved this car every since.

But now I must admit that I am tempted to switch her for the new 5.0 JUST for the power. I can find my way around a car, but I am no mechanic so the SC thing poses a problem, especially with this car being my daily and me not being able to afford a new engine if something happened.

I just CANT seem to get used to the new body style though.
My other thing I keep thinking of is are these cars going to continue to get more powerful as the next 10 years come along?
What happens if in 2014 a Boss is released with more HP than the 5.0 and costs about the same? Will I want to switch again ?
I tell myself that it would be stupid just to switch every single time a new and improved engine comes out just to be the newest and best, and stay in debt forever.... but there is just that part of you that wants the biggest and best engine.
The thought of just smoking those LS1's and new Camaros as well puts a grin on my face so big you cannot imagine.
Then i go back and ask myself... "Would you trade your car in for a Mustang II if it had had 500hp and great handling?", and I tell myself "Hell no because I don't like the looks of it"

So I am back to the same dilemma. I do not "HATE" the new body style.

I just do not like it NEARLY as much as the 05-09's.
I may end up test driving a new 5.0 when they come out and decide to go for it but as of now I can't say that I would do it.
The answer would be no.

I am hearing all this talk on the internet about the new 5.0.
Someone even went as far as to say that it is
"The FIRST truely GREAT G.T."
Is this 5.0 GT really going to end up being a LEGEND
and my car end up being nothing in the books when all is set and done?
To some the old 5.0's are legendary. To me they are not.
Cool yes. Nice yes. Legendary, no.

But is this new 5.0 really the FIRST great G.T.? Is it REALLY?
Am I stupid for thinking my 2006 4.6 GT is a great GT?
Am I stupid for feeling this way and not hopping on to trade her in for a 5.0?

Or am I smart for sticking with the car I have loved even thought I will be envious of the new car's power?

I dunno. Only time will tell what I will end up doing.

Does anyone else feel like me?

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 04-26-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:19 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

I'd take a new 5.0 in a heartbeat. Would I trade mine in on one? No, but I will never sell my current car.

The rear is still utterly horrendously atrocious... I still can't get used to it. Surely the motor will make up for it though! I like most everything else about the car. I'm betting (hoping) Ford will redesign the rear in the next few years.

I do think the 5.0 is going to be the best new car for the money in 2011. Having said that, if I had $35k+ to spend on another car, I'd be getting a slighty used C6 vette.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:33 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
Am I stupid for thinking my 2006 4.6 GT is a great GT?
imo, no.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:39 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Take the road less traveled...
Engine swap!!
Old 04-26-2010, 02:56 PM
atldave
2nd Gear Member

Will Mustang's continue to get more powerful each year, so that you wind up wanting another change in a few years? My guess just the opposite. The new MPG requirements are going to make it just about impossible to make many old school muscle cars. You might see some efficient fast cars, but I truly believe that the old school throaty, low torque, big block engine will be a relic of the past. My guess is that the 2011 generation will be regarded as the true classic in the future. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:01 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

I agree with the dislike of the new rearend!! Really it is no big deal to pop on a blower running 5-6 lbs of boost and you would be well under any stress level of the 4.6...with good power...and you wouldnt be taking a bath on trading it in!
As for me...I was lucky enough to find a 2008 Black GT500 with 558 miles sitting in guys garage and he wanted the room back...made a great deal...so I installed a Brenspeed Stage 2 package and now putting about 550 hp on the wheels...so I have the best of all worlds...the great style of the 05-09...and the ugly rear new 5.0 is nothing more then a Snake Snacky!
Old 04-26-2010, 03:16 PM
guitarist4life
2nd Gear Member

Doooo it! I own an 89 5.0 and I plan on getting a new 5.0 as soon as I have enough money for a down payment
Old 04-26-2010, 03:22 PM
Misbehavin
2nd Gear Member

I understand your position. While I'm way too attached to my car to let it go, heck I still have my '89 I bought new, I just prefer the exterior look of my '06. The extra power would be nice, but power can be upped later if so desired. Changing the outer appearance of the 2011 so that it would be acceptable to me, would be much more difficult.

Other opinions differ, and I'm sure that there are some who prefer the style of the 2011. Good for those guys, but I'll keep my '06.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:39 PM
akiba17
Not 100% a dick

Originally Posted by Shadow7874
Take the road less traveled...
Engine swap!!
^This, yeah booyyyy!
Old 04-26-2010, 03:42 PM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

Wait until you can drive a 5.0 6sp

I think the choice will then be obvious, rear end or no.

Quick Reply: So, I've been debating trading in for a 2011 5.0