Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 08:41 AM
bday123

Default Tires

Hello everyone - new to the forum.
I own a 2006 Mustang GT with the existing stock Pirelli's still on the car.
I'm to the point of purchasing a new set of tires and have had my
attention drawn to the Michelin Pilot Sport as an alternative.
Anyone else used these tires? thanks.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:58 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I have no personal experience with the Pilot Sports but you might want to start your research with the ratings info on tirerack.com and some other tire websites. My g/f's '06 Pony has the Pirelli P-Zero's and for her type of driving they have been quite decent and the price isn't too bad. But it all depends on what your style of driving is and how you're expecting the car to handle.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:10 PM
05raggtop4.0
1st Gear Member

We have a set of Pilot Sports on another Ford we own. I would not buy another set of them. Ratings on TR sounded great, but I am under impressed with road noise, ride quality and wet traction. Just our experience.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:46 PM
PHX8839
2nd Gear Member

I love my Nitto 555's (255/50/17). They will not last as long as the Pirellis but will definitely hook up better. You can get a set of 4 for a little over $600 shipped from americanmuscle.com.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:03 PM
TorchedGT
1st Gear Member

I had a set on my past M3 - they're stellar tires, probably one of the most famous "uncompromising" tires out there, however they're incredibly expensive to the point where I might jump off a bridge if I got a flat tire.

Screw that lol.

I put the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s on the 'stang and it's the next closest thing to driving on rails.

However, it really depends what you're looking for in a tire. They have a 280 treadwear so there will always be a compromise, and in this tire it's the fact that it uses a very soft tread compound. However I rarely drive the car and this is less of an issue with non-independent rear suspension vehicle, since the negative camber and toe setting won't chew up the tire anywhere near as fast. They're also very expensive, but the tread pattern simply looks badass =)

My next favorite was the Falken ST115 which had a VERY good treadwear (420 I think?!) but they discontinued it! It was a performance tire that was also targeted at the car audio enthusiast and had a sound deadening tread compound and pattern that made them almost silent - they were also cheap!

My favorite current tire that I've got experience with was the BF Goodrich G-Force sport, that had a 360 wear rating - however it was fairly noisy as I recall.

Nothing beats the look of the goodyears though. Wish I had a shot from the back!
Old 05-12-2010, 09:13 PM
jrockgts197
2nd Gear Member

I have to put my vote in for the Yokohama S.drive. I've had them on my car for a year and they grip extremely well on dry pavement. What shocked me was how well they handle in the rain. The stock Pirellis would hydroplane so bad on the interstate that it would literally scare the poop out of anyone in the car. I have been very impressed with the Yokos in the wet stuff and I would definitely buy them again.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:26 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

just installed 255/45/18 Bridgestone Potenza 760 sports today up front.

wish I had done them from day one. these don't wiggle like the POS BFG KDWs 235/50/18 that came stock. the ride is a tiny bit harsher since I went with an actual performance tire

noise seems the same...but I drive with the windows down. I have 275/40/18 760 sports on order...but they are on National backorder for at least another 4 weeks. I'm thinking about getting some RE-11 though.

you can cheap out for tires and get decent results...or you can spend the money for really good tires. Bridgestone and Michelin are the top 2 in my book. You get what you pay for. I've got 2 Falkens out back right now that I wish I didn't have. Didn't listen to my own golden rule
Old 05-12-2010, 11:07 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TorchedGT
I put the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s on the 'stang and it's the next closest thing to driving on rails.

However, it really depends what you're looking for in a tire. They have a 280 treadwear so there will always be a compromise, and in this tire it's the fact that it uses a very soft tread compound. However I rarely drive the car and this is less of an issue with non-independent rear suspension vehicle, since the negative camber and toe setting won't chew up the tire anywhere near as fast. They're also very expensive, but the tread pattern simply looks badass =)
I've also owned a set of these (on my Trans Am) and was so impressed I'm buying another set for the GT when the stock BFGs wear out. I can't believe the traction, even in the rain. I've never had a tire feel like I was attached to a rail, but the GS-D3 sure did! The tread is by far the bad of the bad.

Last edited by Unleashedbeast; 05-12-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:13 PM
TorchedGT
1st Gear Member

Haha hell yeah, I was going to mention that also - I went WOT in ~1" of standing water in a parking lot with the M3 and didn't break the tires loose! I couldn't believe it.

And although they're Goodyear tires, they were developed, tested, and manufactured in Germany.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:39 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I've got 18" Michelin Pilot Sports on my '06 GT 'Vert. I love them.

Quick Reply: Tires